PDA

View Full Version : Question bout using a SUV for first time landscaper?

buffalonick
08-31-2009, 01:03 PM
Spring 2009 will be my first ever season. I already have a DOT number and everything but my real question is if i use my personal SUV which is a 2004 Ford Explorer to pull a 10 or 12 foot trailer and my truck and trailer will have lettering on it will i have to get different plates in NY state? or can i leave my regular plates on my SUV?

Gregg1987
08-31-2009, 04:21 PM
Hey,

i am starting myself officially next season and unfortunately my car is a Chevy TrailBlazer (about the same as your Ford Explorer). So i also don't have a "pick up" or anything either. But i have a good reliable truck and it will pull a trailer.

- here is what i got when i talked to people setting up my business.

#1) you have what you have. if you don't have a pick up make due for now and build up to it. get a nice trailer that maybe you can store a bit more on since you don't have a bed and make due.

#2) according to who i talked to you don't need to change your plates just because you use the truck for work. and honestly you don't want to if you still use it for yourself personally as well. (commercial plates limit where you can drive)

- Also i may be wrong but i don't think you need a DOT number unless your combined weight (GVWR) of the Truck and Trailer is over 10,000 lbs.

Your Explorer is probably no heavier then about 5,000 lbs so unless your going to pull a 5,000 lbs trailer you shouldn't need a DOT number or a CDL.

I also live in NY so the rules for me should be same as you! =p

Hope this helps !

AI Inc
08-31-2009, 04:22 PM
Spring 2009 will be my first ever season. I already have a DOT number and everything but my real question is if i use my personal SUV which is a 2004 Ford Explorer to pull a 10 or 12 foot trailer and my truck and trailer will have lettering on it will i have to get different plates in NY state? or can i leave my regular plates on my SUV?

spring 2009 has come and gone.

Gregg1987
08-31-2009, 04:24 PM
spring 2009 has come and gone.

XD i assume he means 2010 =p

Also hey you never know! use what you have now! maybe next year you can afford a work truck ! =p ok maybe more then 1 year but hey keep looking forward =)

buffalonick
08-31-2009, 04:28 PM
Thanks greg yea my truck is 6300 pounds and i just figured i might as well get one now so its legit just incase if my trailer gets too big or for when i do switch trucks. Yea i guess i wont have to change anything till i get a new truck which is hopefully this time next year. Right b4 the plowing season. Where are you located?

Gregg1987
08-31-2009, 04:49 PM
yeah you shouldn't need to change your plates unless you want to and if your still using it for personal as well i wouldn't.

yeah I'm sure it cant hurt. i haven't looked into DOT numbers much yet just because right now there is no way I'm going to exceed 10,000 lbs. so i didn't bother looking into the procedure of what getting one involved yet.

I'm off on Long Island so I'm a little bit of a trip from you =p but same state laws should apply.

BCP
08-31-2009, 05:52 PM
I don't know anything about New York laws. But I do know here in Ohio if you are pulling or hauling company equipment it needs to have commercial plates as well as insurance. Several Years back there was such an incident happen here in town.

A guy was driving his personal vehicle and was involved in an injury accident. The troopers cited the owner/driver of the truck and also cited the company of which he worked and equipment he was pulling. Look into this very carefully before you assume. doesn't cost anything to make a few phone calls, may cost a bunch if something should happen.

Thanks
Ken

Gregg1987
08-31-2009, 06:24 PM
BCP, Its possible that I'm wrong. So thanks for posting.

But, when i talked to my insurance people they told me i did not need to change my personal plates on my truck if i used it for business because its also still my personal truck. (only have one car)

Now they said if it was a "business car" only then yes it would need commercial plates.

They told me basically that my car is covered for myself (personal use) and business with its current plates and i would not need to change them unless it became a "company owned" car THEN it would need commercial plates.

Again, i am still learning some myself and i can be wrong. But, that was what was explained to me when i called my insurance people for NY.

If someone knows more for my area by all means correct me but i guess i can check again too. Thanks BCP

InsideOut
09-03-2009, 08:52 PM
I'm With BCP here in MASS if you are pulling stuff for work or have Lettering on your Car or Truck you need to have Commercial Plates my brother had magnets on his Truck and Regular plates he got a warning and had to take them off

Gregg1987
09-04-2009, 01:50 PM
interesting question would be then.

If the lettering or magnets were say on the trailer and the truck was only pulling it and it was used for business and personal. Would that still need commercial plates i wonder? Maybe playing the system XD lol

I'll have to ask again i guess because i was told personal plates were ok.

Thanks

golfnpreacher
09-04-2009, 09:51 PM
Many personal insurance policies will not cover a vehicle that has lettering, either permanently marker or magnetic signs. AND they will pursue fraud charges if you are discovered using them. However, it is entirely possible to legal operate within their requirements if you do not letter your vehicle.

At which time you need to determine if you want the advertising or the the insurance.

HOOLIE
09-04-2009, 10:30 PM
I'm glad Virginia is not so crazy with all the rules and regulations as some states. Heck, I've had a burned out taillight on the trailer for 3 years, have never been stopped for it.

STIHL GUY
09-05-2009, 12:11 AM
you should be fine. you will eventually want to upgrade to a pickup though. the extra bed space is great

sweetz
09-05-2009, 12:24 AM
I'm glad Virginia is not so crazy with all the rules and regulations as some states. Heck, I've had a burned out taillight on the trailer for 3 years, have never been stopped for it.

Some states are so crazy with all the rules and regulations because so many people doing stupid things like knowingly driving without taillights. The states have to enforce these rules though and most don't. If you're pulled over for something else, then they'll make sure to get you for a bunch of other little violations though.:dizzy:

Bob_n_weave
09-05-2009, 12:16 PM

I was driving through Virginia and given a Ticket for my Radar Detector that
WAS NOT pluged in. It was just stuck to Windshield unpluged. At same time was given a Ticket for Window Tinting "too dark". I was only drivng through
Virginia, I lived in South Carolina at the time.

Im glad Virginia not so crazy with rules too :laugh: So for the folks of different ethnic origins other than white, that have the if I was white I would of been let go mentality :hammerhead: stop fricking whinning, sometimes life is not fair.

HOOLIE
09-05-2009, 10:11 PM
Some states are so crazy with all the rules and regulations because so many people doing stupid things like knowingly driving without taillights. The states have to enforce these rules though and most don't. If you're pulled over for something else, then they'll make sure to get you for a bunch of other little violations though.:dizzy:

Nope, been pulled over twice since the taillight has been out, and neither cop even mentioned it. I'm not going to be all "Lawnsite Politically Correct" here, I'll get the light fixed when winter comes. I'm not wasting time getting it fixed now when people can still easily see the taillight on the truck.

HOOLIE
09-05-2009, 10:13 PM
I was driving through Virginia and given a Ticket for my Radar Detector that
WAS NOT pluged in. It was just stuck to Windshield unpluged. At same time was given a Ticket for Window Tinting "too dark". I was only drivng through
Virginia, I lived in South Carolina at the time.

Im glad Virginia not so crazy with rules too :laugh: So for the folks of different ethnic origins other than white, that have the if I was white I would of been let go mentality :hammerhead: stop fricking whinning, sometimes life is not fair.

VA is one of the few (maybe only) states where radar detectors are illegal. Having it 'not plugged in' is akin to Clinton's defense that he 'did not inhale' Anyway, they post those signs at the state line. Tinted window, you should be able to beat that one, especially if you're out of state.

sweetz
09-05-2009, 11:48 PM
Nope, been pulled over twice since the taillight has been out, and neither cop even mentioned it. I'm not going to be all "Lawnsite Politically Correct" here, I'll get the light fixed when winter comes. I'm not wasting time getting it fixed now when people can still easily see the taillight on the truck.

If people can still easily see your trucks taillights then that kinda understandable. What I was referring to is setups like mine, where the trailer is a nit wider than the truck.