PDA

View Full Version : White Fly

jvanvliet
08-31-2009, 08:20 PM
I have an 850 foot ficus hedge infested with white fly. What treatment do you recomend?

Someone suggested PERMETHRIN or BIFEN to kill adult & larvae and MERRIT or MALLET as a granular systemic?

Also, knowing the PERMETHRIN or BIFEN will not completly eradicate the pesty little bugs on the first pass, how long should I wait for a second treatment and perhaps a third?

I am open to suggestions.

americanlawn
08-31-2009, 08:39 PM
Orthene does a nice job. Talstar too.

olive123
09-01-2009, 05:12 PM
the general prescription is a merit drench. Read the label on the rate. If you have noticed the leaves falling generally its too late. The systemic will work approx 6 mos. After this year I have noticed that two apps per year will do preventatively. The problem you will have is volume of insecticide especially if there is mulch and/or leaves at the base of the hedge. A bucket for drenching may do the trick since your license only covers using a backpack.

jvanvliet
09-01-2009, 05:30 PM
Yes I know, good thing labor is cheap and I have plenty of buckets & FL State compliant backpacks. Presumably I'll be able to pre-mix larger quantities in my chemical tank and fill the buckets & backpacks from it.

Any suggestions re. mallet as a granular systemic?

olive123
09-01-2009, 08:09 PM
WWWAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY more expense and takes longer for AI uptake. Education of the customer is key.