PDA

View Full Version : Great Dane Engine Question

knowsymon
08-31-2009, 10:25 PM
Got the dreaded news from the repair shop that my kaw 17 fh500v has 40 on compression. Sooo.. I guess I'll need another engine. Can I be cheap and put a 15 hp in (about $300 cheaper). Or better still, can the engine be rebuilt. The mower starts fine, but shuts down like it's running out of gas after 5 minutes.

Restrorob
08-31-2009, 11:20 PM
Walk behind or Z ?

Hydro or belt drive ?

What size deck ?

Does the engine smoke/use oil ?

knowsymon
08-31-2009, 11:49 PM
sorry... surfer hydro 52" deck. It did have a small leak on the bottom. but, I made sure oil was okay everyday.

mowerknower
09-02-2009, 12:05 AM
Hmm, first off 15 hp on a 52 would probably be a little under powered. My bigger concern is that the symptoms dont really match the diagnosis. Something sounds fishy about this. Do you trust this shop? Have they done a cylinder leakdown test yet? Are both cylinders at 40 psi? If compression is low it could be something as simple as a blown head gasket or a valve not seating. I think I would have them dig a little deeper or get a second opinion.

badbart
09-02-2009, 12:14 AM
Is that a vertical shaft, or horizontal? A new Kohler vertical 22 horse is only $670.00 shipped....

Restrorob
09-02-2009, 12:15 AM
Got the dreaded news from the repair shop that my kaw 17 fh500v has 40 on compression. The mower starts fine

I must have been REALLY tired when I posted last night, The above is nearly impossible. Sounds like they have a use for your engine after a minor repair, I would look into a second opinion as mowerknower mentioned.....

knowsymon
09-02-2009, 12:30 AM
Yep... it's a vertical shaft. I believe 1 X 80. The shop is kinda reputable. But, not old school. You know those old school guys that can listen to you and break everything down, then it's done right. I took it to another shop that was a bit further. I got a great feeling when the guy immediately double checked everything I said before he even entered my info in the computer.

But, he said he can rebuild the whole motor if need be. But, it's probably a ring.

Hey Badbart, just in case, where'd you see that Kohler?

pugs
09-02-2009, 12:42 AM
Depends on labor rates in your part of the country but most of the time its just not worth it to do a proper rebuild(meaning boring, new pistons/rings, valve job(new valves depending) and whatever else might be needed.). Better off going new with a nice new 2 year warranty.

15 would be small. 17 is small. We sell Wright and in a 52" we only stock the 23HP model. Would probably get a 21 were it available but it isnt. They offer 17 and 19 but both are a bit small.

knowsymon
09-02-2009, 12:59 AM
Yeah, but it's like the end of the season. And worse yet, these shops charge $2000 for new motors. J-Thomas has 'em for about a grand. You could get wright standers up here are for around 3500. Money is still money. Last few years, the lawn companies this way are shutting down permanantly up here around the end of the year. I was hoping to catch some good used equipment by then. Up here now you can get a 60 lazer z new with leaf collection system for 6 grand. No one is getting financed and these dealers know it.

badbart
09-21-2009, 12:28 PM
Yep... it's a vertical shaft. I believe 1 X 80.
Hey Badbart, just in case, where'd you see that Kohler?

I buy a few parts from a place in Minnesota called Pat's Small Engines Plus. Here's the link: www.psep.biz Just scroll down to engines and click on Kohler, then scroll down until you get into the vertical shaft engines.

pugs
09-21-2009, 03:01 PM
Yeah, but it's like the end of the season. And worse yet, these shops charge $2000 for new motors. J-Thomas has 'em for about a grand. You could get wright standers up here are for around 3500. Money is still money. Last few years, the lawn companies this way are shutting down permanantly up here around the end of the year. I was hoping to catch some good used equipment by then. Up here now you can get a 60 lazer z new with leaf collection system for 6 grand. No one is getting financed and these dealers know it.

I highly doubt anywhere is selling a wright standers for $3500 new or a Exmark 60" lazer for $6000 new with a $2000 collection system.

knowsymon
09-21-2009, 08:12 PM
Thanks, Bart!

knowsymon
09-21-2009, 08:14 PM
Yeah well, next time I get the store, I'll send you some pics. Take care.