PDA

View Full Version : Pest & Brown Leaves on White Oak

heybruck34
09-01-2009, 10:41 AM
Can anyone tell me what is growing on my white oak? I planted this tree from an acorn about 3 years ago, it's taller than me now.

Earlier in the yearI noticed some small bumps about the size of a pinhead on the tops of the leaves. On the underside were small balls that were stuck to the leaf causing the small bumps on the top side.

Recently, I saw these furry growths on my tree in about 5-6 different spots, along with some random leaves browning in various areas. Additionally, the new growth leaves appeared to be dying.

It's been quite dry lately so maybe that has something to do with the new growth dying but I'm stumped on the furry mass. It is not a catepiller or any insect- I cut one open and it's just while power inside.

See attached photos...

RigglePLC
09-01-2009, 10:57 PM
Oak trees have a lot of galls. Most are caused when an insect lays an egg in the leaf or its midvein. The gall may contain an egg, a larvae, or the larvae may have left the gall. In any case they do not cause any harm to speak of. If it has been dry--water the tree to protect it from damage and send it into winter in good shape.

heybruck34
09-02-2009, 12:25 PM
thanks. Ran the sprinkler 3 hours on Sunday to do just that after taking these pictures. I'm glad my hunch paid off.

hundreds of hours spent on lawnsite pays off once in a while.