PDA

View Full Version : Please identify this "weed"!

MoGreen
09-01-2009, 10:50 AM
I have this EVERY year. I am on the East Coast (transition area) and get this every year around late July/August. I killed my whole front lawn last year with Gly and overseeded. I did 3 split applications to make sure everything was dead-even the little bit of vinegrass which eventually died. The lawn came up excellent, and has been awesome all year up until now. I keep getting this!! I looks like a very fine lighter green grass (to me it's a W E E D) and comes in in patches all over the place!! Weed killers won't touch it because it must be a type of grass......?
Please help me out. I posted a link to the album below:
http://picasaweb.google.com/jp6940/Lawncare2009?feat=directlink
Thank You!!!!

Kiril
09-01-2009, 11:10 AM
looks like Bermudagrass (Cynodon dactylon (http://plants.usda.gov/java/profile?symbol=CYDA)) to me.

MoGreen
09-01-2009, 11:21 AM
Thanks for you very quick reply! I don't think so-here's why:
It does not produce "shoots" that come out of the top of the plant, and the root system must be very shallow. I can pull it right out of the ground easily. It has a very soft texture to it, and grows in "clumps" around the yard. By clumps I mean it comes up in different places not spreading from one clump-it just comes up everywhere in the yard! I have had problems with this for 6 years. It's time to STOP it! It's pissing me off. :)
My yard looks real nice, and I am very happy with the appearance. I have put a lot of work into it, and I am very proud of it!
Any other suggestions? Thanks again!!

Kiril
09-01-2009, 11:31 AM
If you don't think it is Bermuda, then key it out.

http://aggieturf.tamu.edu/aggieturf2/grasswee/grasses/grasskey/startkey.html

suzook
09-01-2009, 11:44 AM
its hard to see in the pics, but could it be bentgrass?

the_bug_guy
09-01-2009, 12:20 PM
don't know about bentgrass but it ain't bermuda. thick blades are not a sign of bermuda..... maybe ric can help with torpedo grass. you get anyof that in maryland?

milike
09-01-2009, 12:31 PM
qwauk gras???

suzook
09-01-2009, 12:39 PM
the more i look at it, the more i think it might be zoysia.If it is zoysia, it will come back, even if you Gly it. You must dig all of it out. Zoysia is a b*tch to get rid of.

kirk1701
09-01-2009, 01:08 PM
I'm with Kiril here, me too say Bermuda grass and its just "that time of year". Plus, I'm dealing with the same clump pattern MoGreen describes, comes up in different places but its not spreading and its not going to because much like I think MoGreen is doing; I pull it or paint it with round-up/MSMA before it has a chance :drinkup:

MoGreen
09-01-2009, 02:32 PM
Just got back from my local ag store. I took a sample into the man, and he said he thinks it looks like Nimblewill? He said he gets it every year as well. He mentioned that Tanacity gets rid of it. It turns it bleach white, then kills it. BUT, it's $300/gallon? I can't remember how much, just very expensive!
I also took it to a neighbor of mine. He said bermudagrass too.......hmmm, what kills bermudabrass without killing my tall fescue? I don't feel like spending a lot of $$ on something he "thinks" is Nimblewill.
BTW, shouldn't you guys be out cutting grass????
hahaha. Thanks for you suggestions. Any other possibilities?

DiyDave
09-01-2009, 03:01 PM
If its anything, its going to be either zoysia or bentgrass. if its zoysia, it will feel like a wire brush, when you run the back of your hand over a patch of it, if its bentgrass, it will feel soft as a baby's butt!. Tryclopyr has a bad effect on most warm season grasses, and costs well under $300/gallon.

lilmarvin4064
09-01-2009, 03:45 PM
Looks like bermuda to me! probably not bent or nimblewill. Tenacity costs more like $800/Gal.

grass4gas
09-01-2009, 06:28 PM
I say it is nimblewill, from the description he gave. Depending upon how much of this you have, you can either use a garden rake, or a flail blade dethatcher. I have done this in the past, and works pretty well. Your only other option is round up, prior to the first frost. Does it go brown after the first frost?

Last I heard, Tenacity is still not labeled for residential lawns.

MoGreen
09-01-2009, 08:45 PM
Definitely not hard, but very soft when you run your hands over it. So I am down to bentgrass and nimblewill. $800/gallon!!?? Ouch!
What would kill this stuff? I don't want to use gly. I would rather kill IT off, and overseed. I just put down my lime, and some team 2G Herbicide for my annua poa? I only put it along my driveway because I was told my seed would not take off too well with the Team.
So for the nimbleweed/bentgrass, where is a good resource to research up on these? I want to get rid of it, and start de-thatching/overseeding my lawn in the next few weeks.
THANKS for your advice! This is the only forum I read up on, and the reason I hang around here. I love this site, and the great info!!
BTW I have can put it down by granular method OR spray-I have both.

RigglePLC
09-01-2009, 09:29 PM
Bent grass has narrow leaf blades mostly less than 1/8 inch wide. and less that 1 inch long. The stems lay down and it roots (not deeply) as it runs along the soil surface.

Joshuakwhit
09-01-2009, 10:22 PM
I think its nimblewill

grass4gas
09-01-2009, 10:25 PM
mogreen,

One last comment...

Did this grassyweed tend to go brown during the summer heat, and look or appear dead? Nimblewill will stay green, as it is a warm season grass/weed. Bentgrass will tend to look dead and brown if it is not irrigated alot. The root system of both is less than an inch.

Bentgrass looks and does better in cooler weather, and Nimblewill does better in warm weather.

If you are going to overseed, why not use gly?

MoGreen
09-01-2009, 10:56 PM
I did some research, and have come to the conclusion it's Nimblewill. Bermudagrass has small "hairs" near the sprout of the leaf, also has 3-7 "spikes" for flowers, and has rhizomes. The description of nimblewill is very much like what I have. It (Nimblewill) does go brown after the first frost, and does have aa very short root section, and does only grow in 1-2' clumps around the yard. Unfortunately, the only way to control it is in the spring or with Round-up. I don't want to kill it with Gly because I am overseeding, and not killing off the turf first-just overseeding. I don't really want to have the dead spots in my lawn. I don't like the different color spots when the grass is coming in (light and dark green colors) although it doesn't matter NOW, but will in the spring! I will do more research on bentgrass too. I have eliminated bahamagrass though.
Man, thanks for the awesome responses. I am young and very eager to learn about turfgrass management. I have been a subscriber to Turf magazine, and have many books including the Lawn Geek (Trey Rogers). I really enjoy it. It can be annoying, but a very valuable learning experience!!