PDA

View Full Version : any advice would be helpful

scott59
09-01-2009, 02:57 PM
this is my is me and my cousins first year,were up to about 15 yards now.were needing to up grade and get some new equipment but would like some advice on what to get,,,,such as a stick edger or continue to use a weedeater to edge curbs and driveways? are small walk behinds better for home lots or a riding z mower?.....in other words if you were just planning on doing say 40 or 50 small houses a week what sort of equipment would you get?.......thanks for all your help,really enjoys reading all the posts here. all we have now is 2 small walk behinds and a back pack blower and 2 weed eaters

TLC_Lawns_TN
09-01-2009, 03:07 PM
I could make some suggestions but it would really depend on how much $ you're willing to shell out for additional equipment.

scott59
09-01-2009, 03:11 PM
between us around 7 or 8 thousand $

TLC_Lawns_TN
09-01-2009, 03:34 PM
well i would start by buying 1 or more pieces of equipment that will boost your productivity...such as a ztr mower and/or a large walk-behind that you can fit through an average size backyard gate opening (36" to 44"). You can go on craigslist and find used commercial ztr's and WB's all the time for a couple of grand...just be careful that you're not buying some old raw-dawged POS...ask lots of questions and you'll figure out who's trying to sell you something that's been trashed and abused. I think the most important piece of advice I could give you is that YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR. Spend a little more on the front end for high-quality equip and you will see a much quicker return on your investment. Don't fool yourself into believing that you can "get by" with lower-end crap...the down-time you WILL incur will wreck your business and only provide you with second-hand results as far as appearance goes.

TLC_Lawns_TN
09-01-2009, 03:43 PM
between us around 7 or 8 thousand $

And on the same note as far as ztr and wb mowers go I would suggest you stick with one of the following brands (not ranked in any particular order because they all make excellent machines that produce outstanding results):

Scag
Exmark
Toro (Commercial only)
Hustler
Ferris
Gravely
Bobcat
Dixon
Great Dane
Snapper Pro

Good luck with your business!

scott59
09-01-2009, 03:51 PM
Good advise about craigslist and i was planning on name brand stuff.thank for your input

TLC_Lawns_TN
09-01-2009, 04:03 PM
Good advise about craigslist and i was planning on name brand stuff.thank for your input

Not that I doubted that you would go with name brand stuff...I was just trying to emphasize the importance of splurging for "commercial-grade" equipment and not settling for even name brand equipment that has seen lots of use (high hours) or looks even the slightest bit questionable.