PDA

View Full Version : could really use some input from you pros

scott59
09-01-2009, 02:41 PM
this is my is me and my cousins first year,were up to about 15 yards now.were needing to up grade and get some new equipment but would like some advice on what to get,,,,such as a stick edger or continue to use a weedeater to edge curbs and driveways? are small walk behinds better for home lots or a riding z mower?.....in other words if you were just planning on doing say 40 or 50 small houses a week what sort of equipment would you get?.......thanks for all your help,really enjoys reading all the posts here. all we have now is 2 small walk behinds and a back pack blower and 2 weed eaters .....have between 7 and 8 thousand dollars to spend.thanks for the help

mjealey
09-01-2009, 07:44 PM
I would do one of two things.

1. I would go buy a Wright stander with that money and that would use up all of it.

2. I have a stick edger but I don't use it a ton. Once you use it on a lawn a few times and cut your edges in, it is very easy to use your trimmer from there on. It takes a little time, but I can really edge almost as well as I can with my stick edger. You might want to look into a ZTR that is in the 6500 range. Snapper Pro is a great brand that is in that price range. Take the extra money and invest in a stick edger, hedge clippers, and a good commercial blower ( Shindaiwa 802, Stihl BR 600) for leaf cleanup for the fall.

mjealey
09-01-2009, 07:45 PM
Although if I were you, and only had 15 accounts I would be more than content with 2 wb's. Uless they are 1980 models and they are requiring a lot maitenace to keep them running.

ponyboy
09-01-2009, 08:06 PM
15 accounts is not a lot if you mowers are very bad then look for a good used one around $1500 get a weed wacker and back pack blower and push blower use the rest to advertise and get more accounts. 1 person cuts the other can weed whack blow and weed and also use your old mower at the same time . Dont spend the money untill you have or are getting more customers siginig contracts you can always find good equipment for a good price finding the good customers is the hard part.. I dont use riders I have stand on and w/b if i were u I would stick to the w/b for now hydros with a velkey good luck

hackitdown
09-02-2009, 05:47 PM
I'd go with a stander next, but only if you can't keep up with the work using your current equipment. A stander or ZTR will allow you to get the work done way faster than a walkbehind.

Have you considered saving the money and using some next spring on advertising? A little marketing may deliver enough customers to justify more equipment. Customers are far more valuable than any mower.

bohiaa
09-02-2009, 08:03 PM
Dont take advice here......

Go interview a DEALER in your area. ask him a ton of Q's.
mainly how long has he been dealing in this product. and how long has he been in business. if he plans to STOP carring this or that line of product. or going out of business anytime soon.

worst thing that can happen is you invest thousand in equipment only to find you cant get it serviced or parts.

Best of luck to you

mdlwn1
09-02-2009, 08:14 PM
Dont take advice here......

Go interview a DEALER in your area. ask him a ton of Q's.
mainly how long has he been dealing in this product. and how long has he been in business. if he plans to STOP carring this or that line of product. or going out of business anytime soon.

worst thing that can happen is you invest thousand in equipment only to find you cant get it serviced or parts.

Best of luck to you

THIS
..and Ill add....people here say get this or get that mower...and never explain why it is better than the next. Furthermore they dont say what their business goals are. Saying they "like" there mower or "its the best" means absolutly NOTHING....no more so than the old Ford/Chevy bs. Standers for example are for production and operater fatigue. They arent for quality of cut. Its a business..if you only have 40 or 50 small homes..get 2 walkbehinds for 2-3k total and put money in your pocket now. If you hate phyical labor..get a ride on of some kind.

mowerbrad
09-02-2009, 08:33 PM
For the accounts you will be doing a stander would be ideal. If you decide on a stander I'd get a deere quik-trak, the cut is great with the 7ironII deck and comfort is great. But really any big name stander would do you fine (ie, deere, wright, toro, great dane, etc).

But truely, a stander would probably blow your budget quickly and not leave you with much money left over. I would actually replace your oldest wb with a new or slightly used 36"-48" hydro wb. Then you would have money left over to advertise and get some more accounts.

STIHL GUY
09-07-2009, 10:09 PM
i would skip out on the edger if i were you

jada86
09-09-2009, 06:17 AM
Buy a good edger and put $3000 away for a down payment on a new mower when needed. (Worst case you can finance, but also can get a nice used one in this economy for that or a little more!) Spend the rest on a very highly targeted marketing program. Get the customers first!

Kennedy Landscaping
09-09-2009, 11:07 AM
Definetly go with a edger. I got my stick edger and I've been considering a used WB Edger for cutting in deep new edges and edging flower beds.

SLMGT
09-10-2009, 11:15 PM
If I was planning on picking up many properties with lots of sidewalks and concrete driveways, I would definitely have a stick edger in my trailer. Weedeaters work fine if you take your time and are proficient at edging with it. If you are not careful though you can end up with wide uneven edging. Whatever equipment you buy, buy from a good dealer that has been in business for a while that you think will be around in the future.

Shane100
09-11-2009, 11:37 PM
I personally think an edger is a must. Not just any edger either, get the most powerful one you can afford. I have found that when I'm adding new customers edging can be a real pain. It has been my experience that a large percentage of people looking to hire a lawn service have either neglected the edging part or just didn't have the right equipment to do it right. Also a great looking edge is definitely what people notice. I have added more accounts by taking a yard that looked awful and giving it that perfectly manicured look. The neighbors notice and soon the referrals start coming.

Then I would invest in 2 brand new commercial 21's if you’re not using commercials already. Letter up your truck, get business cards, QuickBooks pro, and some door hangers. Put the rest of the $$ in an account for repairs and maintenance. Once you can no longer get all the work done in one week, go for a larger mower.

Just my 2cents.