PDA

View Full Version : Whats needed to install sod??

MeMowLawns
09-01-2009, 05:10 PM
Is it as easy as it seems? Just lay it out like carpet squares on smooth dirt then water the hell out of it?? I plan on sodding my front yard as an experiment next spring then working out a price for a local home builder on how much to sod the front yards of his new houses.

Basically what is needed to lay it?

Any tips or tricks?

we are only talking maybe 4 or 5 houses a year if he's interested. Front yards are only around 1500-2000 sq ft of dirt..

bigslick7878
09-01-2009, 11:29 PM
Need some starter fertilizer before you lay it down, but other than that not really that complicated.

If you are laying it on new houses the dirt is probably complete garbage but I have seen sod grow on some of the nastiest soil possible as long as it is watered properly.

Just make sure the seams are tight and roll it after you are done to ensure good soil contact......very important step that most people skip.

MeMowLawns
09-02-2009, 12:08 AM
Like I said I was going to experiment on my own lawn before I approach the builder about it. Now he just seeds it with rye grass and hay, looks like crap. But, he pays me to mow it til it sells. About every other house he sells the buyer has their yard sodded, if I thought I could make a good amount of money doing it and he could make more money sellin the house at the end. Thought it might be a good deal for all..