PDA

View Full Version : The nerve of some people....do you want to dress like me too??

bigw
09-01-2009, 04:35 PM
For those that know me and my company this is what my wife found today while going to look at my website, now you can call it a coincidence if youd like but i call it flat out " to stupid,to lazy,low down stealing" even if he is from another state. It just irks me to no end that he practically copied everything down to my mission statement. Trust me i called him but so far he has not returned my phone call. I know so what he lives in a different state right,well its just the point to me and i know he saw my site on this site im sure...anyway i just had to vent!! He may copy me but he will never duplicate me or my company!! here is my site.... www.vintagelawncare.com and here is his www.vintagelawncarema.com now you tell me im nuts? I can tell he is just another low balling non tax paying dueche bag because only a low baller would use "the first cut free" with a contract deal :hammerhead:

MeMowLawns
09-01-2009, 04:50 PM
I was thinking coincidence til I looked at the site. Yea get with a lawyer and send him a nasty letter. Don't know what all you could do but he is definatly doin something wrong. I went deep sea fishing with a guide "Third Coast Charters" I think was the name a couple of years ago. He was saying about once a year he finds another company trying to use the same name and all it takes is a nasty letter from his lawyer to change there name.

You had it first.

THC
09-01-2009, 05:27 PM
Ohhhh.... I thought you were selling franchises. Damn! I wanted in on it :(

bigw
09-01-2009, 05:35 PM
I just talked to the guy and he swears he didnt copy from me so i guess ill have to belive him, its really no big deal since he dont live near me i guess but it really did get under my skin at first. Oh well its what ever!

JB1
09-01-2009, 05:38 PM
I just talked to the guy and he swears he didnt copy from me so i guess ill have to belive him, its really no big deal since he dont live near me i guess but it really did get under my skin at first. Oh well its what ever!

of course he is gonna tell you that.

THC
09-01-2009, 05:48 PM
I was going to suggest that maybe the designer sold the template for the site but I see you designed it yourself. Wouldn't that make it your property?

punt66
09-01-2009, 06:13 PM
unless your going national it doesnt really matter and your site is better. But he defenetly copied you. I really like your logo. Nice job.

dave k
09-01-2009, 06:31 PM
Yep, he indeed copy your work, but it happens every day
You should feel honored that he felt your work was so good he had to have it!
I always had though Hyundai copied Honda early on with their car designs.

dKoester
09-01-2009, 06:40 PM
David, I remembered when you got started, pedal to the metal. IMO, if you got people wanting and copying your stuff well, YOU ARE THE MAN! Keep on truckin.

Pro-Scapes
09-01-2009, 07:12 PM
Just an idea. Did you use a freebie template to build your site in which he could obtain from homestead or intuit ?

My thoughts are this. When he was trying to register a domain name he came across your site and liked it. Its clearly plagarism but if your not willing to make a huge stink persuing it and laying out attorney fees for them to draft a letter and mail it then just let it go. Its not like the guy is a competitor but this is much more than coincidence.

PROCUT1
09-01-2009, 08:14 PM
Other than the name where did he copy you?

That website is just a standard boilerplate template.

bigslick7878
09-01-2009, 10:27 PM
Its the internet, basically a free for all.

Not much you can do and like the above poster said he could have just used a very similar template from a do it yourself design site.

THC
09-01-2009, 11:29 PM
Other than the name where did he copy you?

That website is just a standard boilerplate template.

What I can't understand is why someone would want a website that "Looks like the village the hobbits live in":laugh:

I'm just kidding bigw, it's just that I still remember that comment from last year:laugh:

jiggz
09-02-2009, 12:30 AM
that cat is an Idiot

your site effing blows

basically

yea

dvog
09-07-2009, 01:08 PM
He can use any name he wants as long as its not already used and registered in his county.

kirk1701
09-07-2009, 04:08 PM
Just an idea. Did you use a freebie template to build your site in which he could obtain from homestead or intuit ?

My thoughts are this. When he was trying to register a domain name he came across your site and liked it. Its clearly plagarism but if your not willing to make a huge stink persuing it and laying out attorney fees for them to draft a letter and mail it then just let it go. Its not like the guy is a competitor but this is much more than coincidence.

This was my thought also, could have even came up with the same name on his own and when he went to register the domain found out it was already in use and registered. Being curious, he then went to your site to see what it was and low and behold, you are in the same business as he so maybe he took it from there, found a starting template which would not be hard to find especially if you used the same program or software.

Another theory would be he had someone design the site for him, told them they wanted a site something like your's and we'll, the web site designer made an easy buck by copying your code which is not hard to get a hold of. Right click in your site and from context menu click view source??? Not that hard, here's just a sample of some of your's from your site:

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN">
<html>
<head>
<!-- <hs:metatags> --><meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=ISO-8859-1">
<meta name="description" content="Full service lawn care,mowing,trimming,edging servicing bucks and montgomery counties">
<meta name="keywords" content="Lawn care,Lawn maintenance,fertilizer,weed control, landscapers, landscape design, landscape maintenance, tree trimming, hardscape, flowers, grass, colors, sod, sprinklers, , tree removal, insect and disease control, shrub fertilization, weed control, commercial, residential landscape, annual, perennial, deciduous, snow clearing plowing,power washing, services in Telford PA , Souderton PA, Harleysville Pa, Lansdale Pa, bucks county, montgomery county,">
<meta name="generator" content="Homestead SiteBuilder">
<!-- </hs:metatags> -->

Its the internet, basically a free for all.

Not much you can do and like the above poster said he could have just used a very similar template from a do it yourself design site.

Your right there, the Internet is an open domain however if your property is copyrighted we'll your safe. Just ask the Music industry how many dogs they sued downloading illegal MP3's :laugh:

Bottom line, he's not near you so he's no threat to your business. I would however keep an eye on his site from time to time.

Turfrific
01-11-2010, 06:27 PM
Imitation is the most sincere form of flattery. i know this is couple months off but i just had to put that down. anyways ive heard that before somewhere, although i don't agree with not having a mind of your own. guess your ideas are just to good bigw, thanks for you post they help me alot.

LushGreenLawn
01-11-2010, 06:44 PM
Could be coincidence, that template is the most used template from homestead/intuit for landscape contractors. The template is owned by intuit, so there may not be much you can do.

Is he in the same state? If so, you can send a cease and desist letter based on the similarity of the name and website.

GCSTL
01-11-2010, 08:28 PM
I say it's time to find a new template.

Barefoot James
01-13-2010, 04:35 PM
At least he didn't copy YOUR testimonials:laugh::laugh:
I think he likes you Big W - LOL

shortgrass01
01-14-2010, 10:14 AM
you know what they say, to copy someone is the high form of flattery??? However, giving credit where credit is due if your going to copy someone.. You should be able to contact the Host of the site to shut it down.

echeandia
01-21-2010, 10:31 AM
I don't know how you can say the guy copied you. Both sites are templates from Intuit Small Business. Here is a lint to the template http://websites.intuit.com/~gallery/templates/SELS010A/index.html,

DJJS
01-22-2010, 07:26 PM
As long as he isn't in the same area as you, he can use the name, there's plenty of landscaping/lawn care business across the country with the same names, it's not uncommon. Also, I used the same template on intuit, if you use a template like that, you have to expect others to have the same thing.