PDA

View Full Version : Lesco/JDL guys

TJLANDS
09-01-2009, 07:56 PM
How much are you guys paying for the lesco 24-5-11 straight fert. by the pallet. 5%iron 30% slow
Today was like my last straw with lesco, they wouldnt budge on 18.95 a bag
when I was there today to pick up 2 pallets.

LawnTamer
09-01-2009, 08:26 PM
Find a good ag store or co-op.

I am paying less than that, and urea is always higher out west. 34-3-11 with 2% fe for $13.69/bag.

TJLANDS
09-01-2009, 08:39 PM
Thanks,
Yeah I know, made a deal with a local fertilizer company late this afternoon.
Reed and Perrine. They are making up my order for tommorrow.
25-2-10 5%fe 30% uvex $14 a bag.
I guess lesco is going off the Fert route. 6 pallets a round is not big enough for them anymore.

CharlotteOutdoorImpact
09-01-2009, 08:53 PM
How would I go about finding a co-op here in Charlotte NC I messed with google a little. I am also looking for better pricing then what we get at lesco/JDL. Better seed would be nice also.

grass4gas
09-01-2009, 10:40 PM
Try CPS...Crop Production Services. They are nationwide.

chrisby316
09-02-2009, 12:02 AM
I guess lesco is going off the Fert route. 6 pallets a round is not big enough for them anymore.

AGREED!!! we are going to use about 20 pallets for our last round of the year and our local Lesco/JDL is full of useless idiots. they all hate working there and are always miserable and have better stuff to do. try ordering from them and its even worse. I ordered rubber boots from them august 18th. Called them twice to check on them and they finally showed up today and we still had to go pick them up. TWO WEEKS LATER!!!! i actually ordered two more pairs from gemplers 5 days ago and they were at my shop this morning. I am officially done with them.

P.S. the fact that i said i am using more fert was in no way trying to instigate a pissing contest.

mngrassguy
09-03-2009, 03:32 AM
Check with a local farmer and ask where they get their stuff. Keep in mind, ag fert will NOT be the same quality.

phasthound
09-03-2009, 08:05 AM
Well, we'd be glad to help you out with Nutrients PLUS granular fertilizers. :)
Great prices, great results, great service and the benefits of organic based blends.

Reddog33
09-04-2009, 07:29 AM
Charlotte,
Please check your messages.
Thanks,
Reddog33

chrisby316
09-04-2009, 09:43 AM
Phasthound, we have 22 pallets of NUTRIENTS PLUS, 16-2-3 being shipped to us as we speak. The results speak for themselves
Posted via Mobile Device

TJLANDS
09-04-2009, 10:02 AM
Phasthound, we have 22 pallets of NUTRIENTS PLUS, 16-2-3 being shipped to us as we speak. The results speak for themselves
Posted via Mobile Device

What price do you get per bag for a truckload?
Are they 40 or 50lb bags?
Sq ft per bag?
Is there any "slow release"

Thanks
Tim

Runner
09-04-2009, 12:52 PM
Right now, our 24-0-11 with 50% scu and 2% fe is right around 16/bag.

phasthound
09-04-2009, 01:47 PM
What price do you get per bag for a truckload?
Are they 40 or 50lb bags?
Sq ft per bag?
Is there any "slow release"

Thanks
Tim

Nutrients PLUS Screamin Green 16-2-3 is $13.40/50lb bag for 22 pallets shipped to NJ. 12,500 Sq ft/bag. Don't be fooled by the low N. Virginia Tech study shows Screamin Green had the same quailty green as Lesco 28- 5-12 even with 40% less N. It has 5 different N sources that release up to 12 weeks for a long term beautiful green. The 2 organic bases provide extra drought tolerance and disease resistance.

This is consistently our best selling product. Other formulations are available. LTL shipments are available. Ready to ship as soon as credit is approved.

techterra@comcast.net

Marcos
09-04-2009, 02:51 PM
Find a good ag store or co-op.

I am paying less than that, and urea is always higher out west. 34-3-11 with 2% fe for $13.69/bag.

I don't disagree with you about fert pricing being a little higher out West.
The middle of things where I am is just about the very best place in the US to be regardless of what the futures say.
But up & down the East coast especially around New Jersey & New York it seems there's been a long history of price gouging and sad excuses from fert vendors.

We don't use bagged bridge organic products like Nutrients PLUS Screamin Green 16-2-3.
Instead we use back-to-basic stuff like corn gluten meal, soybean meal, alfalfa meal, cotton seed meal & finished compost, and LOTS of it.

But nontheless, Phasthound's deal at $13.40 / bag looks quite decent when you take a moment to bear in mind the extra long release time of N you'll be getting with the bio content.

Some critics refer to the relative slow reaction time of organic fertilizer a "disadvantage".
Frankly, that sentiment couldn't be further from the truth.

Yes, release time of N in organics is almost always slower.
*But.... IF you plan the year's calendar out correctly ahead of time & begin to think of the fruit of your labor responding in 3-4 weeks (in the Midwest) instead of the "normal" 1 week or whatever, you'll come to realize the ebbs & flows of N in an organically fed lawn are typically MUCH, MUCH less severe than those of your average 5-stepper.

*Disclaimer: One has to go through 1 to 1.5 yrs of using organics & see the results, month in & month out, to fully understand & appreciate this information :waving:

phasthound
09-04-2009, 03:02 PM
Marcos is correct about the long term benefits of organic matter. Nutrients PLUS bridge products contain some urea, SCU, and ammonium sulfate in addition to biologically active composted poultry manure and EPA Grade A biosolids. This provides a quicker response from the first 3 with long term benefits from the last 2. The best of both worlds.

And to avoid any confusion, the price includes delivery.

PSUTURFGEEK
09-04-2009, 11:04 PM
Be prepared, Nitrogen is going up

Marcos
09-06-2009, 02:13 PM
I don't disagree with you about fert pricing being a little higher out West.
The middle of things where I am is just about the very best place in the US to be regardless of what the futures say.
But up & down the East coast especially around New Jersey & New York it seems there's been a long history of price gouging and sad excuses from fert vendors.

We don't use bagged bridge organic products like Nutrients PLUS Screamin Green 16-2-3.
Instead we use back-to-basic stuff like corn gluten meal, soybean meal, alfalfa meal, cotton seed meal & finished compost, and LOTS of it.

But nontheless, Phasthound's deal at $13.40 / bag looks quite decent when you take a moment to bear in mind the extra long release time of N you'll be getting with the bio content.

Some critics refer to the relative slow reaction time of organic fertilizer a "disadvantage".
Frankly, that sentiment couldn't be further from the truth.

Yes, release time of N in organics is almost always slower.
*But.... IF you plan the year's calendar out correctly ahead of time & begin to think of the fruit of your labor responding in 3-4 weeks (in the Midwest) instead of the "normal" 1 week or whatever, you'll come to realize the ebbs & flows of N in an organically fed lawn are typically MUCH, MUCH less severe than those of your average 5-stepper.

*Disclaimer: One has to go through 1 to 1.5 yrs of using organics & see the results, month in & month out, to fully understand & appreciate this information :waving:

Oh, yeah.....I forgot to finish my point.:wall

...and less severe ebbs & flows of N generally means a more regulated & dependable top growth pattern, which helps everyone tremendously during the spring rains/rush.

A smart lawn care salesman can & should use the value of slower-releasing organic products when they approach prospects as well as up-selling existing clients.

Not only do bio-based fertilizers 'feed the grass' like the rest, but they also:
- biologically improve the quality of the SOIL and its inhabitants!
- potentially reduce runoff (sheet wash) over X amount of time
- (again), better regulate top growth, especially during peak periods
- better regulated top growth often can & will result in fewer mowings per season which will ultimately of course save the customer $$$ whether they mow it themselves or hire someone to do it.
Fewer mowings means LESS labor expended/contracted for, less gasoline, less smog, less noise....:):).....and MORE time for the customer to go outside & simply have fun!!!:dancing:

Closing the deal by the ability to prove end-savings & benefits
This is what value-selling is all about.

bx24
09-06-2009, 09:17 PM
Be prepared, Nitrogen is going up

My take is Nitrogen is / should be not going up..Why since a family member works as a buyer for southern states and prices are locked in a long time ago..When you buy rail road cars of products, prices are well locked in before.

I was shocked on the prices of things that they are wholesale and their retial and then JD prices (retail)...Way diff.

MudslinginFX4
09-06-2009, 09:55 PM
I've been using Lesco for years and years but decided this year i would start buying my stuff somewhere else... i've been using green resources, much better service, better prices, and better products!

phasthound
09-07-2009, 09:57 AM
Lets just say your shipping one pallet quantities from CT to NJ on a regular basis, you cant tell me the LTL charge is cheap on 2000#s and even if you are getting really good rates which I am very familiar with these rates somebody is paying for this cost whether you have it built into the bag or if your eating this cost which I doubt, and in that case you won't be in business very long.

I can't answer for tremor, but we ship direct from the bagging facility to the end user whether it's a single pallet, full truckload or anything in between. Nutrients PLUS has the ability to ship direct from 8 different locations. This eliminates the cost of stocking and maintaining warehouses. The volume we ship give us preferred shipping rates. All these cost savings are passed on to our clients.

But the real value is the fertilizer itself. You can always find something cheaper, but will it perform? Nutrients PLUS has a proven track record in the field and customer service to back it up. 60% of our growth is from companies who try the product in order to offer an "organic" alternative. After seeing the results, they are now using Nutrients PLUS as their fertilizer of choice for their traditional nutrient program. We have a 90% retention rate with our clients.

It saves you money and gets great results.

grassman177
09-07-2009, 11:11 AM
we only missed out on one part of your great info about the nutreints plus, the app rate. is it a traditionally 3-4 lbs perK ? if so, i can definalty do business at that price!!!!! we are paying 20 buck a bag here for 18-24-12 with asset formulation root enhancer. 30%slow release. it is soooooo much better than other mineral salt ferts and you can really see the difference. you only need 2.5 lbs per K if it is a decent yard to get great green and thickening. higher of course up to 4lbs if it is a deficient lawn.

phasthound
09-07-2009, 12:28 PM
we only missed out on one part of your great info about the nutreints plus, the app rate. is it a traditionally 3-4 lbs perK ? if so, i can definalty do business at that price!!!!! we are paying 20 buck a bag here for 18-24-12 with asset formulation root enhancer. 30%slow release. it is soooooo much better than other mineral salt ferts and you can really see the difference. you only need 2.5 lbs per K if it is a decent yard to get great green and thickening. higher of course up to 4lbs if it is a deficient lawn.

Nutrients PLUS Screamin Green 16-2-3 60% slow release recommended application rate is 3-5 lbs/K.
grassman, because of your location there may be additional savings. Contact me.

phasthound
09-09-2009, 09:55 AM
tjlands and grassman,

I'd like to send you some information on our product lines, including pricing.
Have you looked at our website yet?

AmGreen
09-09-2009, 07:11 PM
I've been using Lesco for years and years but decided this year i would start buying my stuff somewhere else... i've been using green resources, much better service, better prices, and better products!

You should try Getsco out of Middlesex. The former manager at the Cary Lesco (Dr. Phil) left Lesco when JD bought them and went to Getsco. Good prices on chemicals as well as fert. I believe GR does have better prices on seed though.