PDA

View Full Version : Pruning job

spin2098
09-01-2009, 09:51 PM
Ok so I did a Pruning job last week. It took us 11 total hours. The 1st day 2 men 5hrs. The second day 4 men 6 hrs what would you guys charge? We pruned everything way back and also cleaned the beds real good. Thanks guys.

Smallaxe
09-02-2009, 09:48 AM
34 hrs.!?! Whenever I hear of crews taking 'x' number of hours to prune and clean, I always wonder how long it would take me to do it myself.

There are a lot of huge landscapes around and I tend one of the biggest, and it is done in detailed excellence for under $200.00/pruning. In one day. A little more if I get help.

If you look at the job and can honestly convince yourself that the job was worth $1000.00... then charge that amount or more.

FYS777
09-03-2009, 01:36 AM
34 hrs.!?! Whenever I hear of crews taking 'x' number of hours to prune and clean, I always wonder how long it would take me to do it myself.

There are a lot of huge landscapes around and I tend one of the biggest, and it is done in detailed excellence for under $200.00/pruning. In one day. A little more if I get help.

If you look at the job and can honestly convince yourself that the job was worth $1000.00... then charge that amount or more.

O smallaxe, 200 a day is silly if you think about it, is that including hauling the clipings and trimmings off, and insur, and gas and for your truck and trailer time, and then you have to have money left over for your house hold bills, are you legal ??

34 hours at lest 1,500 bucks, if you take everything into account for the job!!!!!

spin2098
09-03-2009, 01:45 AM
Thanks I was thinking the same thing does that mean that people who have a lot of shrubbery don't get pruned or that they get it for dirt cheap? Don't think I will go 1,500 but at least I am justfied by what I thought. Thanks.
Posted via Mobile Device

Az Gardener
09-03-2009, 01:46 AM
If you don't even know how much to charge after the job is complete I think you have some quirks in your operation. I would be surprised if you are paid a fair price.

White Gardens
09-03-2009, 09:24 AM
If you don't even know how much to charge after the job is complete I think you have some quirks in your operation. I would be surprised if you are paid a fair price.

Agreed.

I also agree with Axe. You are going to have a hard time to convince your customer to hand you a check for over 1500 when you had as many guys on site pruning as you did.

This would have to of been an extremely large property for me to have that many guys, such as pruning 1/4 mile of shrubs and 20 ornamental trees.

Now if you told me you did some maintenance in the landscape on top of pruning, (such as pulling weed trees, etc.) then I can see that.

dvog
09-03-2009, 09:58 AM
If i had a 3 man crew on a job for 11 hours, heres what i would do. 3 (men) x 11 (hours)= 33 man hours, x $40 per man/per hour- Plus $30 per load to dump.(lets say 5 loads were dumped). total=$1470.00 I might round the total off a little lower but not much.This is not a hobbie for me,im trying to make a profit.

Smallaxe
09-03-2009, 10:46 AM
O smallaxe, 200 a day is silly if you think about it, is that including hauling the clipings and trimmings off, and insur, and gas and for your truck and trailer time, and then you have to have money left over for your house hold bills, are you legal ??

34 hours at lest 1,500 bucks, if you take everything into account for the job!!!!!

:laugh: Actually I've been illegal for 25 years. :laugh:

The point I was making, is that crews, that take that long had better be doing acres , not by the K - as was stated earlier by someone else.
You may need 1500 for 34 hours, but that doesn't mean the job was worth 1500.

I don't use trailers and use no more gas than the average commuter, work one area at a time for a day. Most importantly - I don't pay employees. Never, ever start that headache. :)

In this area 200 dollars per day is really good. That is real money, not all the additional expenses. Driving home and emptying the truck is not an additional expense, it is 'time'.

FYS777
09-03-2009, 11:17 AM
:laugh: Actually I've been illegal for 25 years. :laugh:

The point I was making, is that crews, that take that long had better be doing acres , not by the K - as was stated earlier by someone else.
You may need 1500 for 34 hours, but that doesn't mean the job was worth 1500.

I don't use trailers and use no more gas than the average commuter, work one area at a time for a day. Most importantly - I don't pay employees. Never, ever start that headache. :)

In this area 200 dollars per day is really good. That is real money, not all the additional expenses. Driving home and emptying the truck is not an additional expense, it is 'time'.

see thats why you should not have even commented on this one, no employees and way under the rest of the country for priceing, and most folks have to haul off the drbris which adds up for time also..

FYS777
09-03-2009, 11:21 AM
If i had a 3 man crew on a job for 11 hours, heres what i would do. 3 (men) x 11 (hours)= 33 man hours, x $40 per man/per hour- Plus $30 per load to dump.(lets say 5 loads were dumped). total=$1470.00 I might round the total off a little lower but not much.This is not a hobbie for me,im trying to make a profit.

I agree, we do have to pay bills other then the ones for the business.

White Gardens
09-03-2009, 12:46 PM
see thats why you should not have even commented on this one, no employees and way under the rest of the country for priceing, and most folks have to haul off the drbris which adds up for time also..

Here's my deal.

First off we don't know the size of the property, so we're all just spouting off at the mouth.

Yes there is such a thing as market value, but I don't know any customer that likes to see that many guys around to do a job. It makes people think that you stuck a bunch of workers on a property just so you can charge them more. I've known a few companies that drop machines off at properties that only get used once, but sits there for 4 days at the customers expense.

My ideal is to do as much as possible by myself and bring in part-timers to help. Not only do customers appreciate that, and if I charge 1500 for the job, then I profit more.

Having four guys at a pruning job for 5 hours seems like a waste of money too.

MarcSmith
09-03-2009, 01:12 PM
I had a town house complex it took 4 guys a week to trim everything...and I had a house that too one guy 20 minutes to prune

everything in scale...

Plus he also said that they cut every thing way back, Which means IMO perennial cutback, rejuvenation pruning ect, all thing which take longer and more clean up.

can you give us some more info on the site? mansion, hotel, ect...

you are asking for an answer but there are too many variables to draw an education conclusion...

spin2098
09-03-2009, 08:12 PM
I wish I still had the excat amount of shurbs on the property, but I don't. The house is in a high end neighborhood. To mulch the place it takes almost 35 yards of mulch.like I said we did prune them back. We also cleaned the beds out real good. We had 2 trailers full of debris and 3 truck loads.
Posted via Mobile Device

spin2098
09-03-2009, 09:55 PM
Also the reason I has so many men is I knew it was big job we had nothing goin on and I wanted it done.
Posted via Mobile Device

FYS777
09-03-2009, 10:13 PM
Also the reason I has so many men is I knew it was big job we had nothing goin on and I wanted it done.
Posted via Mobile Device

hey you don't have to make excuses to this guys, you did the right call!
sounds like what we just did or close. week and a half, worked 39 hours on one place plus doing our 75 other accounts, it was around $2 k, plus had the bark blower come in and blow in about 40 yards of bark mulch,$ 2 k. before there party. and now we are doing the fine tuneing on the irragation and other stuff the last lco's neglected on the rest of the place!!

gogreenmaureen
09-05-2009, 05:52 PM
I'm curious. How did you come up with the price for the dump fee? Are you charging for a profit? I just did a tree and shrub trimming job. A noticeable drastic pruning. She is a weekly customer and I broke the job down to 3 visits. Three people 2 hours 3 times = 3 x 6 = 18 man hours @ $50 hr = $900 plus 3 dump fees = $90 I double the fee. My time, gas and actual fee of $30 each dump. The job is $1,080.

ponyboy
09-05-2009, 08:51 PM
last time i checked we are in business to make money $40 a man hour is fair if not cheap sounds like a solo operation would not have been able to do this job or it would have taken 3+ days Everyones overhead is different but we all need to take in all of our expenses and find out what their hourly wage is and base all of their jobs off that. I also agree the price should be set upfront tell them i want $100 or do like i do we get $45 a man hour plus min of $35 to dump per load if it is more than one load it is more if it half a truck it still is $35 just me though

FYS777
09-05-2009, 09:01 PM
last time i checked we are in business to make money $40 a man hour is fair if not cheap sounds like a solo operation would not have been able to do this job or it would have taken 3+ days Everyones overhead is different but we all need to take in all of our expenses and find out what their hourly wage is and base all of their jobs off that. I also agree the price should be set upfront tell them i want $100 or do like i do we get $45 a man hour plus min of $35 to dump per load if it is more than one load it is more if it half a truck it still is $35 just me though

i agree, at lest there are a few folks on here that have there ducks in alignment,

White Gardens
09-05-2009, 10:13 PM
Hey, I just want to say that If the somebody needs 3-4 guys on a property to do the work, then that's what is probably called for.

As a solo-op, I can get more done by-myself than 3 guys can piddling around. The only way I can vouch for this is from the testimonials from my customers that were fed up by other LCO's overcharging and not doing complete jobs.

I have one property that takes 20 yards of mulch to put it into perspective, and at fall cleanup time, I can do the work in 5 hours, and still charge accordingly without having extra hands on-site. That includes tree pruning and all the perennial beds cut down, raked up, and hauled away. Usually it's around 7 yards of debris, two loads.

I don't understand how some companies need so many people to do work that most people need one or two suckers to do the job. (we are all suckers :laugh:)

FYS777
09-05-2009, 10:25 PM
Hey, I just want to say that If the somebody needs 3-4 guys on a property to do the work, then that's what is probably called for.

As a solo-op, I can get more done by-myself than 3 guys can piddling around. The only way I can vouch for this is from the testimonials from my customers that were fed up by other LCO's overcharging and not doing complete jobs.

I have one property that takes 20 yards of mulch to put it into perspective, and at fall cleanup time, I can do the work in 5 hours, and still charge accordingly without having extra hands on-site. That includes tree pruning and all the perennial beds cut down, raked up, and hauled away. Usually it's around 7 yards of debris, two loads.

I don't understand how some companies need so many people to do work that most people need one or two suckers to do the job. (we are all suckers :laugh:)

then you must not be very busy, when you are very busy you need more help, that is a no brainer, what one person can do in 5 hours you can do in two and a half with 2 guys, and go to the next, that is the point, you use what guys you need when you need them.

FYS777
09-05-2009, 10:31 PM

if you can get more done then three guys piddleing around then you don't have good workers, fire them and get someone that will work like they are supposed to!!!!!!

whoopassonthebluegrass
09-05-2009, 10:36 PM
Can you find a Google Earth image of it?

White Gardens
09-05-2009, 10:42 PM
if you can get more done then three guys piddleing around then you don't have good workers, fire them and get someone that will work like they are supposed to!!!!!!

In the Green Industry, are you kidding me ???

Luckily though, with all the un-employment there seems to be more people out there hungry to work and work well.

FYS777
09-05-2009, 10:59 PM
In the Green Industry, are you kidding me ???

Luckily though, with all the un-employment there seems to be more people out there hungry to work and work well.

for the last few seasons i have to say i have had and still have really great workers,!!

White Gardens
09-05-2009, 11:06 PM
for the last few seasons i have to say i have had and still have really great workers,!!

Well, you must be pretty lucky only because it is (or was) hard to find good help around here.

Smallaxe
09-06-2009, 10:56 AM
Pruning is also something that I don't trust to 'employees' who have a 'job' that requires no education. I brought on help from someone who was interestted in doing it right, a couple of times over the years. They had fun and I had fun.

I agree with White Gardens in that I have not been at all impressed with the ability of 2-3 guys working efficiently enough to do it much quicker than me alone. One extra guy should be able to turn a 5 hr. job alone into less than 2 hours.

If twice the personnel, doesn't reduce the time to 40% or less, then the additional personnel are a waste. [That's the way it used to be.]
Nowadays, people are paying for 70% - 90% b4 they think they are getting ripped off. :laugh:

FYS777
09-06-2009, 11:29 AM
Pruning is also something that I don't trust to 'employees' who have a 'job' that requires no education. I brought on help from someone who was interestted in doing it right, a couple of times over the years. They had fun and I had fun.

I agree with White Gardens in that I have not been at all impressed with the ability of 2-3 guys working efficiently enough to do it much quicker than me alone. One extra guy should be able to turn a 5 hr. job alone into less than 2 hours.

If twice the personnel, doesn't reduce the time to 40% or less, then the additional personnel are a waste. [That's the way it used to be.]
Nowadays, people are paying for 70% - 90% b4 they think they are getting ripped off. :laugh:

i'm laughing, you all must not do many prunning hedgeing and trim jobs through the season. when you have 70 to 80 accounts of lawn maitinance and half of them need this done at lest twice a season for the trimming, you all would not be able to do it all by yourself.and do all of the other work. and it does take on your part to train your guys on how to do this,

White Gardens
09-06-2009, 01:36 PM
i'm laughing, you all must not do many prunning hedgeing and trim jobs through the season. when you have 70 to 80 accounts of lawn maitinance and half of them need this done at lest twice a season for the trimming, you all would not be able to do it all by yourself.and do all of the other work. and it does take on your part to train your guys on how to do this,

I do bi-weekly maintenence in between the installs I do. I prune almost every two weeks with pruning shears and hedge trimmers.

Right now I have 5 accounts and with the amount of time it doesn't take me, I'm willing to take on another 15 and stretch the maintenance accounts over 2-3 days.

70-80, yes, there is probably no way I could pull that off myself, but, I would only need one other guy, not 4 more.

ACA L&L
09-07-2009, 12:15 AM
I see no problem charging anywhere from 1500-1600 plus dump fees. I have never been able to utilize more than 2 guys cleaning up.I have used an extra guy pruning while each of us had a guy cleaning up after us. (4 total) Ive done some really huge jobs in less than a day with 4 guys. And we charged for it. Never short yourself because u think its alot of money. The customer must understand your estimate before u start working. If its gonna be that much i would of been very clear that the hourly rate was this and the the hours X. We usually give job prices. Very rarely do i tell a customer my hourly rate. And we always charge a service charge/dump fee. Happy Mowing fellas, its almost time for LEAVES!!!!

dvog
09-07-2009, 09:20 AM
I am going to have to agree with FYS777.I do 140 accounts per week plus a couple landscape jobs per week.You can check out my thread at "pictures& videos" on this site.I run with a 3 man crew(i am the 4th man if i work with the crew).My guys kick butt on every job.We do an average of 35 lawns per day.I couldnot do it with out my workers.Also-most people dont want you on their property longer than you have to be.We live in a "fast food invironment" now of days.Get in-get out and make some money.For those of you who are a 1 man operation with 10 accounts per week-thats fine.I was doing 50 accounts per week by myself when i started out.Now i got to much work.

FYS777
09-07-2009, 10:33 AM
I am going to have to agree with FYS777.I do 140 accounts per week plus a couple landscape jobs per week.You can check out my thread at "pictures& videos" on this site.I run with a 3 man crew(i am the 4th man if i work with the crew).My guys kick butt on every job.We do an average of 35 lawns per day.I couldnot do it with out my workers.Also-most people dont want you on their property longer than you have to be.We live in a "fast food invironment" now of days.Get in-get out and make some money.For those of you who are a 1 man operation with 10 accounts per week-thats fine.I was doing 50 accounts per week by myself when i started out.Now i got to much work.

you hit it, :weightlifter::weightlifter:

FYS777
09-07-2009, 10:38 AM
I see no problem charging anywhere from 1500-1600 plus dump fees. I have never been able to utilize more than 2 guys cleaning up.I have used an extra guy pruning while each of us had a guy cleaning up after us. (4 total) Ive done some really huge jobs in less than a day with 4 guys. And we charged for it. Never short yourself because u think its alot of money. The customer must understand your estimate before u start working. If its gonna be that much i would of been very clear that the hourly rate was this and the the hours X. We usually give job prices. Very rarely do i tell a customer my hourly rate. And we always charge a service charge/dump fee. Happy Mowing fellas, its almost time for LEAVES!!!!

you hit it to,

but leaves, not yeeeeeet.