PDA

View Full Version : Downspout pipe question

markethound80
09-01-2009, 10:37 PM
I put pipes on 3 downspouts in which water drained away from the house. I ran it perfectly where at the end it stuck halfway out of the grass but not even noticeable and drained out onto the street. Now I am in a new subdivision and the Developer has put in a tree in that spot. Now the pipe goes straight into the ground and the water will drain into the tree. My concern is that there is not proper drainage (i.E. rocks and the pipe is just going into dirt. I am concerned that during a hard rainfall the pipe will get backlogged with so much water that it will start pourting out of my gutters. Will this be the case or am I concerned for nothing. I have seen alot of people that put their downspout pipes directly into the ground where there is a tree and never have any problems.

DVS Hardscaper
09-01-2009, 10:47 PM
Unless there is a drywell to collect the water from the downspout/pipe - you CAN'T just terminate the downspout/pipe into the ground!!!

It has to have unobstructed flow someway somehow.

markethound80
09-01-2009, 11:19 PM
So in other words I have to fix the work the developer did and make it so the drain sticks out of the ground again like I did before?

DVS Hardscaper
09-02-2009, 07:07 AM
the water has to be able to have an unobstructed discharge.

paponte
09-02-2009, 07:30 PM
Not sure by you, but your not allowed to have runoff from your property leach into the streets. Easiest fix for you would be to cut a poor mans drywell at the end of that. Dig yourself a box at the end (size depending on size of the gutter) below the frost line. Line it with nonwoven geotextile, cutting an entrance hole for the pipe. Fill with 3/4" clean and wrap the top so your fill will not mix in. Backfill and put hte grass back. Voila!

Bigred350
09-02-2009, 07:51 PM
Dig up the pipe about 4ft from the edge of your beds and put a catch basin on it, so it can drain out over the yard. This is what we do on all the beds we put in. Works great.

nordlejanker
09-15-2009, 10:40 PM
if your able to continue pitching away from the house and still come out at the grass, i would recommend purchasing a "Pop-Up". It's cheap and will discharge the water pretty efficiently without running the rist of cloggin the drain tile. You could even put it close to the tree like some hippy watering device.

drewguy
09-16-2009, 10:38 PM
I wouldn't put a pop-up near the tree unless you want to kill it.

The answer to one question is "yes" you probably have to redo your work because of the developer, unless he redoes it for you. Why not dig out a few feet of pipe and put a 45 elbow on it, run the pipe around the tree, and then another 45. I trust you can find out whether direct discharge of water to the street works in that development. Some places it's legal, others not.

As for the backup, what would probably happen is the pipe would fill, and water would flow out of the downspouts where they run into the pipe. Which isn't good.

DVS Hardscaper
09-17-2009, 09:09 AM
Pop Ups may be great in warmer climates, but In places where winter exists, I wouldn't use a pop up if my life depended on it. I think this picture of iced over snow is self explanatory......

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y212/ScapeItWS6360CJ7/IMG_0633.jpg