PDA

View Full Version : backyard playground??

KrayzKajun
09-02-2009, 07:58 PM
anyone have expierence building a backyard playground? had a customer approach me about laying down the rubber material they use at playgrounds around jungle jims and such.

they want the stuff put down and a playhouse, swingset installed on top
i figure it mite be kinda profitable

ryde307
09-02-2009, 10:22 PM
Have't built the playground but have been aproached a few times for the rubber mulch. Its not cheap and around here atleast it only comes in bags not bulk.

MJS
09-02-2009, 10:38 PM
Have't built the playground but have been aproached a few times for the rubber mulch. Its not cheap and around here atleast it only comes in bags not bulk.

I think he's talking about the square rubber pads that are put down in lieu of mulch on playgrounds.

I'd be interested in knowing as well. . . every time I've been approached about playground areas, I end up going with woodchip-type mulch.

Helped build a few playgrounds - none of them for money - I would assume that prices would be more along the lines of framing/rough carpentry work.

billwlod
09-16-2009, 11:51 PM
Don't even go there, It gets hot and burns the kids feet. Ive installed it and have seen it installed at various places.

White Gardens
09-19-2009, 05:17 PM
There is play-ground approved recycled rubber mulch. Supposedly it's 100% free of metal and other foreign objects.

I've never messed around with it, and only have ever seen samples of it.

Might want to check into play-ground grade wood mulch instead. Or, I've seen some hardwood mulches that looked safer than the playground mulch.

If your working on an un-even area, 6 X 6 landscape timbers make a good retaining wall if you need to either raise the bed for the play-ground. Just build them like you would any wall, except you could probably skimp on the base a little.

I don't necessarily find them any more profitable than any other types of landscape installations. Labor + Materials + Markup.

Twitchy
09-23-2009, 06:40 PM
I've used it 2 times and both set of customers were very happy w/ the results. The stuff is not cheap, i think i paid $900 for a 10yd delivery (about 3yrs ago). It does vanish, especially if the kids go nuts in the play area. So you will get call backs to come bring some more to top dress. (= more $$) A rubber edge for safety, heavy duty weed block, and 4'' of rubber mulch and your set to go.
**No insects and it dries really fast unlike mulch.

Hanau
09-23-2009, 06:49 PM
Playground equipment I get from Walpole Woodworkers. www.walpolewoodworkers.com It's high quality stuff and I back it with a 5 year, no questions asked, warranty.

Rubber mulch I source from KidWise Outdoors. www.kidwiseoutdoors.com Great prices on bulk delivery by the pallet load. Outstanding customer sevice.

Anything else I need I source locally.

I charge a much higher rate to build playgrounds. Reason is I overbuild everything and don't take any shortcuts when it comes to the safety of the kidlets.