PDA

View Full Version : 1984 Craftsman GT-18 Garden Tractor

Technoid
04-28-2002, 05:11 PM
I have been looking for a used engine for this tractor. I am the original owner of this fine machine. I wore out the engine and hate to get rid of the tractor. The engine is an 18 hp Briggs.
Sears wants way to much for a short block. Anyone know where I could find a replacement that runs?

mud_man93
04-28-2002, 06:43 PM
you can get mortors through nothern tool

Technoid
04-29-2002, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by mud_man93
you can get mortors through nothern tool

I looked at what they had. Still to expensive. I need a used engine in running condiction. Thanks anyway for the reply.

mud_man93
04-29-2002, 09:27 PM
i was just woundering how you wore out the mortor i have one of those tractors and it is the best garden tractor i have ever used
(i just wish that they could make an atachment that would last for more than an hour or two)

Technoid
05-01-2002, 08:52 PM
Originally posted by mud_man93
i was just woundering how you wore out the mortor i have one of those tractors and it is the best garden tractor i have ever used
(i just wish that they could make an atachment that would last for more than an hour or two) Many many many hours of operation. The cylnders went egg shape. Rod knock and just plain tired. I use to use it for landscape work, plowing snow,
and just plain fun with the kids. I had still have the plow and mower deck. It was and still is a good machine.

65hoss
05-02-2002, 08:28 AM
When fixed, what do you plan to do with the machine? Work it? Play? what? If you plan to work it you better step to the plate and find a new motor. If your just going to play with it, I guess a used motor would be fine. Probably need to find a homeowner with one and steal the motor. Well, ok, buy it for parts and take it. haha.

Technoid
05-03-2002, 07:34 PM
Originally posted by 65hoss
When fixed, what do you plan to do with the machine? Work it? Play? what? If you plan to work it you better step to the plate and find a new motor. If your just going to play with it, I guess a used motor would be fine. Probably need to find a homeowner with one and steal the motor. Well, ok, buy it for parts and take it. haha. As a rule with anything, if its over 10yrs old, the price of a new motor is better spent on a new machine. I only want to use this machine for a yard tug. Moving trailers around and hauling a cart for fire wood. Ive got my eye on a new Troybuilt garden tractor. The chassis is built solid
and it looks better than anything Sear's sells now. Thanks for dropping in:D

Luisto
05-11-2002, 10:40 PM
Not sure about pricing but you might want to check Tulsa Small Engines site; They seem to run some pretty good rebuilt items every so often.

Technoid
05-12-2002, 09:58 AM
Originally posted by Luisto
Not sure about pricing but you might want to check Tulsa Small Engines site; They seem to run some pretty good rebuilt items every so often.
Do you have the web address? www.???

Luisto
05-12-2002, 10:35 AM
www.tulsaenginewarehouse.com

You might also want to check www.farmersexchange.net, as they have Briggs engines, short blocks, etc.

Mowingman
05-12-2002, 10:59 AM
Technoid,
Be careful about buying that Troybilt tractor. Parts may not be avail. even though it is new. Troybilt went bankrupt and SOME of their products were picked up by MTD. I do not know if MTD is still building or supporting the garden tractor line from Troybilt. That may be an orphan left over from the original Troybilt firm. You might want to contact MTD to make sure you can get parts and warranty on it.:)

Technoid
05-12-2002, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by Mowingman
Technoid,
Be careful about buying that Troybilt tractor. Parts may not be avail. even though it is new. Troybilt went bankrupt and SOME of their products were picked up by MTD. I do not know if MTD is still building or supporting the garden tractor line from Troybilt. That may be an orphan left over from the original Troybilt firm. You might want to contact MTD to make sure you can get parts and warranty on it.:)
Gee thats a real shame. Such a well built line of equipment and now no more. Our country is falling apart to the foreign markets.
Thank you for letting me know.

vipermanz
05-16-2002, 03:49 AM
as an off the wall idea , you might try looking at ebay for engines

Eddyyy302
02-13-2004, 03:39 PM
Ebay is probably your best bet, or the classified ads. If you are able to find the engine near your home on e-bay usually you can get a decent deal. That is a GREAT TRACTOR, and you won't find them like that anymore, I have a 16 and 18, The 18 I paid $200 for with the mower deck, new blades and RUNNING GREAT, What a deal.
I will keep an eye out for you, as I run across those motors somewhat often.

Dan

65hoss
02-13-2004, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by Eddyyy302
Ebay is probably your best bet, or the classified ads. If you are able to find the engine near your home on e-bay usually you can get a decent deal. That is a GREAT TRACTOR, and you won't find them like that anymore, I have a 16 and 18, The 18 I paid $200 for with the mower deck, new blades and RUNNING GREAT, What a deal.
I will keep an eye out for you, as I run across those motors somewhat often.

Dan

Hopefully by now he has this problem solved. Its been almost 2 years.

xcopterdoc
02-13-2004, 08:32 PM
Is it possible to retrofit a different make of engine to it? If not, just how wore out are the cylinders? hone em, re ring it and see how it plays out. Also you might try your local "old dude" lawnmower shop. he may be able to steer you in the direction of a used rebuildable motor.

jajwrigh
03-06-2004, 10:15 PM
I like to see people use the craftsman tractors from time to time. I use ours to pull branches and stuff around the yard.

m0werman
03-19-2004, 03:44 PM
try www.smallenginewharegouse.com
they have good prices:blob3:

deere mowers
03-20-2004, 12:03 AM
I am with xcopterdoc on this. If you love that machine try and keep it original as poss. Maybe try a local school that has a shop class that could do the work for you . Around here all you would have to pay is parts, the school does this free giving there kids a hands on learning lesson, while being supervised by a shop mechanic

sawman65
03-27-2004, 06:43 AM
need model, type,& code i may have what you are looking for
also i see you are into some old equip. i have a 83 alis 720 i could part with plus lots more stuff call me @ chuck mason equip sales (423)926-3881
john

rookiemower
04-01-2004, 11:57 PM
guys this post is from 2000 i hope he has fixed the problem by now

rookiemower
04-01-2004, 11:58 PM
sorry meant 02'