PDA

View Full Version : Soil Test Results

1999frontier
09-03-2009, 06:45 AM
I don't know which section to put this in, but I thought I it would go along with seeding since that is what I'm wanting to do.

PH-6.0
Nitrogen-Low
Phosphorus-Low
Potassium-High

Some may laugh or whatever but this is from a store bought tester kit with the tablets, tubes, and everything to do the soil test. I'm wanting to seed some TTTF in the next week or so. Did I wait to long to do the soil test so i can apply what I need to get the soil right? Help me out I've never done this and don't know where to begin. I just want to be able to have a nice lawn like ya'll on here. I'm a new homeowner as well.

RAlmaroad
09-03-2009, 06:58 AM
Potassium level is a little out of line...generally potassium is on the lower end and the phosphorus is high. Nitrogen is low to be expected. Why don't you run a soil test for the Extention Agent. It will tell you how much fertilize you need; however, this time of year you could get bye without any fertilized since the seed will not germinate until next spring anyway. Wait to seed for a few weeks. It's over the top, but a flamethrower this time of year will kill off (Not All) weed seed that was deposited this season which would keep them out of the ground before you seed. Next year avoid pre-em until the seed is up and grow for two-three mowings. Add lots of compost this winter to enrich the ground and a little starter fertilizer next spring then get on a regular fertilize program. Fescue is a piece of cake to maintain. Just sow lots of seed--some for you and some for the birds. I like to sow fescue when a light snow (old school) is on the ground. Then, you'll be able to see where the seed has landed and how thick. Good Luck.

White Gardens
09-03-2009, 08:28 AM
Yes, get an actual lab test done, and don't skimp on it. Go ahead and spend the money to have all the metals and CE analyzed.

Even if you get the results back late in the season, you might be able to apply a few things such as adjusting your PH before next spring.

1999frontier
09-03-2009, 08:39 AM
So is it too late to even worry about seeding?
Posted via Mobile Device

Kiril
09-03-2009, 08:48 AM
So is it too late to even worry about seeding?
Posted via Mobile Device

No. Fescue seed prefers soils temps in the 55-65 range generally speaking, so you probably can seed well into October. I think you may have time to send a soil sample into a real lab before seeding.