PDA

View Full Version : Ransomes 4000

nevbag
09-03-2009, 08:10 AM
Hello to all,:waving:
I am impessed with the site so I thought I would tap into a great source of knowledge and wisdom.

I am based in the UK and have just acquired a Ransomes 4000 (model no XT4010 s/n 00463) ride on mower fitted with a 3cyl Mitsubishi diesel (mid 1980s I think). It has Sauer-Sundstrand hydro transmision, 3 blade front mounted rotary cutting deck and comes with a front flail mower attachment. Whats left of the body decals say that it has diff lock and hydraulic weight transfer.

The problem is that it has very little power to reverse drive, forward drive seems OK but I have not driven it far having only just got it.

The hydraulic oil strainer in the tank filler neck looks as though it has been subjected to excessive heat.

I would also like to know what oil is recommended for the hyd reservoir.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Nev.

Remington4
02-08-2010, 05:00 PM
Hello nevbag,

As for the oil SAE 10W-30 motor oil is recommended for the hydraulics.

As for performance, you might want to check the foot pedal linkage to see if the bolts holding the ball-joints are tight. Sometimes if those bolts loosen up it will grab in one direction and not the other, giving you the idea the hydro is bad. Then you might want to check that the bypass valve is screwed in tight - to the hydro pump. Be sure the proper grade oil is in the hydro and how old is the filter? If the oil is thin it can slow down performance and should the filter be plugged it will starve it for oil as well.

Hope this gets you going. If not you may want to see your local dealer for some hydro testing.

nevbag
02-09-2010, 09:37 AM
Thanks for that Remington4 , it was the bypass valve. After stripping off fuel tank and Hyd oil tank and generally poking around I discovered that the wiring loom had not been secured properly and it had dropped on to the T-handle of the valve and cracked it open slightly. That was enough to drastically reduce oil pressure.

After reassembly it all worked fine and I am very pleased with it. I was dubious about getting it at first because of the cost of parts but it was only a swop for some hay so I could have sold the parts on E-bay if necessary.

Nev.

Remington4
02-09-2010, 11:09 AM
Hello nevbag

Looks like your gamble has paid off!!!

Remington4

nevbag
02-09-2010, 11:41 AM
So far so good, cutting deck needs a little TLC but it still works fine, it just the rot bug that's been nibbling.

Nev