PDA

View Full Version : 3 toxic houshold items


shovelracer
09-03-2009, 09:14 PM
I very commonly find myself meeting people that have a real beef with turf pesticides, but 99% of the time they know nothing about them. Anyways that isn't the conversation. I want to here what 3 household items you think are in every house in America that are more toxic than any product you apply in a basic program. I've come across a few lists at seminars and such, but lets here your items.

Here's my 3 things

Asprin
Tile and grime cleaner
Paint remover

RigglePLC
09-03-2009, 09:30 PM
Gasoline, drain cleaner, anti-freeze. Gin, furniture polish, windshield washer fluid. Iron supplement tablets. Various prescription capsules.

grass4gas
09-03-2009, 09:37 PM
Bleach and ammonia. Combine the 2 and oh yeaaaaaaaaaaaaa:hammerhead:

Drain cleaner.

These are the 3 chemicals I tell people that are more dangerous than anything I put down.

Think Green
09-03-2009, 09:54 PM
Fish Aquarium tablets!!
Acetone
Fingernail Polish Remover
Crazy Glue
Linoleum
Formaldehyde in Carpet Fibers
Toilet Bowl Blue
Sodium Hypochlorite
Visine
Mr. Clean

The list can on and on because consumers are so mind set from television and consumer biased reports from media sources, that they don't recognize the hazards within their screened porches.
There are more noxious toxins that are absorbed daily from the average household because it is contained within a confined area. The AC only circulates the toxins.!! What stupid animal we are, yet we do it everyday to keep our homes clean!! or beautify our lifestyles with...!!!???

I will think of some more after a while.

shovelracer
09-03-2009, 10:39 PM
OK how bout this. Most people realize there is some danger involved with gasoline, bleach, drano, etc. What are the 3 most common items that almost everyone would assume are safe and use without any concern?

Think Green
09-03-2009, 11:31 PM
Water
Shampoo
Cologne--Perfumes-Body Sprays, Deodorants--Aluminum Hydroxide I believe is the ingredients?
I can't forget toothpaste's--------Flouride Phosphates.

FYS777
09-03-2009, 11:42 PM
chew
sig's
and sugar

Think Green
09-03-2009, 11:49 PM
Cellphone
Microwave
flourescent light bulbs.........the new one's

ted putnam
09-04-2009, 12:24 AM
Mosquito repellent with DEET. It's a conspiracy...I know it is. They don't have the Kahuna's to come out and call it what it is... DDT... or should I say D-DEE-T !!! Something to think about...:laugh::laugh:

FYS777
09-04-2009, 02:02 AM
:)Hmmm, things that are toxic in the house.
me after eating chilibeans,:laugh:
my feet after working all day,:laugh:

mngrassguy
09-04-2009, 03:20 AM
:)Hmmm, things that are toxic in the house.
me after eating chilibeans,:laugh:
my feet after working all day,:laugh:

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Coffee is toxic
Water is toxic if you drink to much

shovelracer
09-04-2009, 07:35 AM
anyone care to put up some realistic LD50's

gunsnroses
09-04-2009, 02:39 PM
don't forget Borax

Borax, sodium tetraborate decahydrate, is not acutely toxic. [8] Its LD50 (median lethal dose) score is tested at 2.66 g/kg in rats. [9] This does not mean that it is safe, merely that a significant dose of the chemical is needed to cause severe symptoms or death. The median lethal dose for humans tends to differ for a given compound from that of rats. Simple exposure can cause respiratory and skin irritation. Ingestion may cause gastrointestinal distress including nausea, persistent vomiting, abdominal pain, and diarrhea. Effects on the vascular system and brain include headaches and lethargy, but are less frequent. "In severe poisonings, a beefy red skin rash affecting palms, soles, buttocks and scrotum has been described. With severe poisoning, erythematous and exfoliative rash, unconsciousness, respiratory depression, and renal failure." [10]

A reassessment of boric acid/borax by the United States Environmental Protection Agency Office of Pesticide Programs found potential developmental toxicity (especially effects on the testes).[11] Boric acid solutions used as an eye wash or on abraded skin are known to be especially toxic to infants, especially after repeated use because of its slow elimination rate.[12]

FYS777
09-04-2009, 08:29 PM
:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Coffee is toxic
Water is toxic if you drink to much

O And my smelly shoes after doing some dog poopy lawns.:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Think Green
09-05-2009, 10:34 PM
It is all a mankind (human) mind set to view anything that is applied to a lawn to "Kill" weeds or fertilize grass is considered a toxic product. However, anything that is sold in the consumer level for the interior household is or should be safe to the consumer. The fact of consumer home based interior products do not contain descriptive labels, it doesn't make it safer to use. It is surmised that just because Wally Mart or K-Mart sells products, makes consumers feel warm and fuzzy inside to use their products. Where is the mind set on personal products like hair sprays, deodorants, toothpaste's,etc.
Consumers place all the emphasis on the product maker to produce a safer product that has been selected and tested under normal laboratory conditions or rats. Labels reflect the findings??????? Consumer products do not contain a MSDS or Label that informs the public. The funny thing is that 95% of the world couldn't understand a label anyway.
I have been to several classes for the likes of Lowe's, Home Depot, AAA, Grocery, and all of which is common sense stuff, but the general consumer still does what the hell they want to do anyway. Word!!!!!

XR650
09-07-2009, 04:31 PM
Did anyone mention their spouse - mine is especially toxic during a certain time of month.