PDA

View Full Version : Help with Buying Mowers

tiggare10
09-03-2009, 09:28 PM
Hi,

What would you suggest in getting for mowers? I am buying new but want to have the nicer brands that will work for both commercial and residential.

I want a zero turn and a walk behind (with a velke). Speed is important as well (of course quality is most important).

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. If you know the approx. price please list as well.

By the way I am in Indiana so everything here is pretty flat.

Thanks in advance.

ryanh11
09-03-2009, 11:36 PM
either hustler or gravely definitely. dixie chopper is over priced and has too many moving to break. i run all gravely and i wouldnt use anything else. unless i had hustlers of course...lol....as far as price goes what sizes are you looking for?

tiggare10
09-03-2009, 11:48 PM
I think 48 or 52.

mowerbrad
09-04-2009, 12:04 AM
either hustler or gravely definitely. dixie chopper is over priced and has too many moving to break. i run all gravely and i wouldnt use anything else. unless i had hustlers of course...lol....as far as price goes what sizes are you looking for?

I don't know if you have ever looked at a dixie chopper but they are a very solid machine and easy to work on. Everything on them is very simple and makes life easier on the owner. Also the price on them is very reasonable and is cheaper than some of the other brands. You might really want to do a little more research next time.

mowerbrad
09-04-2009, 12:10 AM
Hi,

What would you suggest in getting for mowers? I am buying new but want to have the nicer brands that will work for both commercial and residential.

I want a zero turn and a walk behind (with a velke). Speed is important as well (of course quality is most important).

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. If you know the approx. price please list as well.

By the way I am in Indiana so everything here is pretty flat.

Thanks in advance.

If you are looking for speed in a ztr, I would look into a Dixie Chopper. They are very nice mowers. I bought a 60" classic HP with a 33hp engine, suspension seat, front springer forks, ROPS, electric deck lift, x-blades, magic mulcher and a few extra for $12000. I put every option on that mower that I could, so the price was a little higher than the average dixie. But you could easily get one for $8000-$10000.

If you want a walk-behind, I would suggest exmark. I like the ECS controls better than any other, but it is more of a personal preference than anything.

I would suggest demoing some mowers that you are considering buying and see which one(s) is/are the best for you.

jeffslawnservice
09-04-2009, 12:11 AM
You can ask 100 different people which mower you should but and they will all say different brands. What you have to do is find out what brand mowers the dealers anear you sell and go with one of those. (There arnt any walker dealers anear me so it wouldent make any sence for me to buy a walker. But every dealer near me sells bobcat mowers so it would make sence for me to buy a bobcat mower.) Once you find out what brand mowers your dealer sells ask them what they prefer they would know the most. Ask them to demo a few mowers. And as for what size deck, you need to make that decision if you have alot of accounts with gates it wouldent make sence to buy a 60'' mower but if you mow alot of open areas you might want to look into a 60'' deck. Just my opinion.

chathamvahere
09-04-2009, 12:12 AM
Gravely 2nd vote here, very solid machines.

ryanh11
09-04-2009, 12:17 PM
I don't know if you have ever looked at a dixie chopper but they are a very solid machine and easy to work on. Everything on them is very simple and makes life easier on the owner. Also the price on them is very reasonable and is cheaper than some of the other brands. You might really want to do a little more research next time.

the dealer near me sells gravely hustler and dixie chopper. when i went to buy my machines that is what was told to me. for example, look at the guy with all the extras on his dixie......electric deck????!!!!.....dont u think when that goes out he's gunna be in a bind.....so, before you go telling people they need to do more research make sure you know if they did some or not. like i said i did mine and this is what the dealer told me. and again, it is personal preference as stated in this thread. it might also be different in other parts of the U.S. because down here where im from dixie choppers are very expensive compared to the other brands. stick to answering other forum users questions if you feel you have the answer and not putting other users down for their awnswers or opinions. thanks and sorry to everyone else in this thread for the rant.

nmanley
09-04-2009, 03:44 PM

Spoken like a knowledgeable fool not even living in Indiana. :hammerhead:

tiggare10

All the current Name brand ZTR's are pretty darn good. Go see what your local dealers carry and see what your competition is running too. If they are successful there is a reason and it's usually good equipment and good people.

mowerbrad
09-04-2009, 04:19 PM
the dealer near me sells gravely hustler and dixie chopper. when i went to buy my machines that is what was told to me. for example, look at the guy with all the extras on his dixie......electric deck????!!!!.....dont u think when that goes out he's gunna be in a bind.....so, before you go telling people they need to do more research make sure you know if they did some or not. like i said i did mine and this is what the dealer told me. and again, it is personal preference as stated in this thread. it might also be different in other parts of the U.S. because down here where im from dixie choppers are very expensive compared to the other brands. stick to answering other forum users questions if you feel you have the answer and not putting other users down for their awnswers or opinions. thanks and sorry to everyone else in this thread for the rant.

You said the dixies have too many "moving" parts that could break. Every mower has a ton of moving parts that could break. When you REALLY LOOK at a dixie and get hands on with it, you will see that the dixie is a very simple machine that is easy to work on. The ease of maintenance of this machine is one reason why I like it, makes life easier on me.

BTW, I would be one of those guys that has all those "extras" on his dixie, including the electric deck lift. If it breaks, I run it over to the dealer and they give me a loaner or get me back out working within a couple hours.

I wasn't putting you down in any way, just making sure that you were informed. Some of the things you said about the dixie weren't exactly true, I wanted the original poster to be able to be informed about dixie chopper's from someone who knows alot about them.

TLC_Lawns_TN
09-04-2009, 05:18 PM
You can ask 100 different people which mower you should but and they will all say different brands. What you have to do is find out what brand mowers the dealers anear you sell and go with one of those. (There arnt any walker dealers anear me so it wouldent make any sence for me to buy a walker. But every dealer near me sells bobcat mowers so it would make sence for me to buy a bobcat mower.) Once you find out what brand mowers your dealer sells ask them what they prefer they would know the most. Ask them to demo a few mowers. And as for what size deck, you need to make that decision if you have alot of accounts with gates it wouldent make sence to buy a 60'' mower but if you mow alot of open areas you might want to look into a 60'' deck. Just my opinion.

This is sage wisdom from jeffslawnservice...couldn't have put it any better myself! You could go around and around with folks for days over which is the best ztr/wb mower...it's ALL about personal preference. But like jls said, research dealers near you, demo some machines, and question the salesmen until they're blue in the face. As far as deck size goes I would opt for a ztr with 54" + deck and then go with a smaller deck on the wb so I could it through gates (maybe like a 36" to a 44" wb). But that's just me.

Trevor8
09-04-2009, 05:55 PM
if you have fences i would get a 42 or 36 tthp. start small and build your way up

Smithco Lawncare
09-06-2009, 07:18 PM
Wright Stander, try or die.

STIHL GUY
09-07-2009, 11:07 PM
i would suggest scag and bobcat. i love my bobcat WB and i have heard from people with scag mowers and they are also great

Jeff Tracey Enterprises
09-08-2009, 01:35 AM
If your looking for a good, solid zero turn, go Gravely, price wise obviously depends on the dealer but I just bought a Gravely 252M Zeroturn a couple of weeks ago for $7499, 52" deck, 21CC Pumps, 27 HP Liquid cooled Kawi. Mower runs great, it is fast as hell, ( 13.5 mph) though I havent tried cutting at that speed, awesome cut ( cutting mainly fescue here along with clover and crabgrass, which actually stripes pretty well too...)

WB, I run a bobcat which is indistructible, I have literally left it on my trailer for the past 2 years except during winter and it fires up 1st time everytime, its old, looks like crap, but runs like a champ. Ive used Scag, Bobcat and Toro, all have been older, belt driven, all ran good, again love my bobcat, will be getting another one when and if this one ever goes but I dont for see that happening, ( knock on wood.)

Good luck with whatever you do decide on but go demo whatever you are considering buying, dont get locked on a brand name because you read a bunch of stuff on here about "Fans" of a product saying how great they are, and NO, Im not trying to piss people off, I am a "Fan" of Gravely's, that is why I bought another one, and will continue to buy them as long as they keep making an awesome product.

ffbking157
09-08-2009, 01:39 PM
How do you like the Bad Boy? I am interested in getting one. They are alot cheaper but seem to be solid mowers. Also how many hours have you logged on yours?

asps4u
09-08-2009, 05:26 PM

I agree with this 100%, but also, are you just starting out? If so, is there a reason you are buying new to start? I would suggest buying used first to get going, get comfortable, and making money to be able to buy a new one at a later date and not put yourself into debt right out of the gate. You'll see that a lot on this site, and I couldn't agree with it more. That's what made me start out with used equipment, and I'm so glad I did, everything is paid for and I have everything I need until I hopefully outgrow what I have. The best part is, I'm working for profits, not working to pay off debt...Just my advice, from my own experience starting out. Good Luck!

nmanley
09-08-2009, 09:41 PM
How do you like the Bad Boy? I am interested in getting one. They are a lot cheaper but seem to be solid mowers. Also how many hours have you logged on yours?

I really like it pretty good. I've only cut my property one time with it which is almost 3 acres. That took me a total of 1.2 hrs including the highway frontage of over 300 ft.

Before I bought my Lightning, I looked at Hustler, John Deere, Scag, Toro, Cub Cadet, Bobcat, Kubota, Exmark, older Everride and Bush hog. While they will ALL do the job very well. I don't think ANY of them can compete based on price for what you get. I doubt that the Bad Boy cuts better or worse than any other mowers of the same specs as the real cut comes down to mowing speed, Blade, and Deck construction.

I also realize I would have been just fine with a $1000 cheaper Bad Boy Pup. I really don't have much rough ground so the suspension is not needed. I happen to have another 15 acres of land a mile from my home and as soon as I get new bush blades for the tractor, I plan to do the trimming with the Bad Boy and then maintaining around the ponds and people area's. In other words, I NEED more grass to cut as and 1.2 hour ride once a week is just not enough fun! :drinkup:

Oh, my hours are only up to 3.1 total. It's NEW! :)

clean_cut
09-08-2009, 10:23 PM
I guess in the end it just comes down to personal prefrence and dealer support. Sure, brand 1 may have a better deck, but brand 2 might be a little faster, basically just personal prefrence. Its going to be hard to find a bad commercial mower, they're all pretty good, maybe try some out and see what you like best.