PDA

View Full Version : Please help with big bid

pteknique
09-04-2009, 01:41 AM
I am bidding on a huge church and would love some advice on how to bid. This is the biggest property that I have had to bid on. A little overwhelming LOL. Doing all the maintenance from mulch to scraping the back parking lot. Pre-Emergent/fertilization aeration and over-seeding,shrubs, trees, etc. This will be a 3yr contract if I can get it. The mowing can be down with two zero's in about 2hrs. Don't have a pic of the front lawn but it's about 2.5 acres with a small creek running through it that will have to be all weed eated. All the trimming should take two guys around 45min and blowing should take around 25min. If the grass needs cut twice a week it will have to be. There wanting a proposal for 32 mowings but could be more or less b/c of weather of course. Here's a few pics to get this going.

pteknique
09-04-2009, 01:43 AM
Here's the rest that I have as of now.

pteknique
09-04-2009, 01:45 AM
The first pic in the second post is a bank that is about 3 to 400 ft long that they want cleaned up. The whole property is in pretty bad shape. And will take a while just to get it cleaned up. The beds are just about all too high and will need work etc. I could go on and on with the problems. That's why I have no idea where to start.

Two Seasons
09-04-2009, 06:55 PM
I'd talk with the grounds manager there. Tell him what you are telling us...this is going to take some time to get this property back in shape. Set the expectations accordingly.

You'll want to do this property in phases, as the reason you are now there is because they've been too cheap (church member did it) over the years to hire a professional.

Looks like you'll have to redifine the beds, aerate the entire lot, overseed too.

Remember, just because it's a church, don't feel that you should give away your time!

WGLandscapeMaintenance
09-05-2009, 03:34 AM
Off topic but, there's a church a couple miles away from me down at home. I drive by it everyday, it's about 5 acres of mowing. They're too cheap to hire a professional, they're broke (ex gf and her family used to be really involved with the church until she moved to CO this summer) so they have a member do it with some junk yardman, and he just goes in circles across the whole property, doesn't even make an attempt to stripe it, not that the yardman would, but it would look better, and he doesn't trim or blow. :cry:

Stillwater
09-05-2009, 12:12 PM
I am bidding on a huge church and would love some advice on how to bid. This is the biggest property that I have had to bid on. A little overwhelming LOL. Doing all the maintenance from mulch to scraping the back parking lot. Pre-Emergent/fertilization aeration and over-seeding,shrubs, trees, etc. This will be a 3yr contract if I can get it. The mowing can be down with two zero's in about 2hrs. Don't have a pic of the front lawn but it's about 2.5 acres with a small creek running through it that will have to be all weed eated. All the trimming should take two guys around 45min and blowing should take around 25min. If the grass needs cut twice a week it will have to be. There wanting a proposal for 32 mowings but could be more or less b/c of weather of course. Here's a few pics to get this going.

What exactly do you need? how to bid?, how to format a proposal?, what to say in a cover letter?, what to say in your personal fact statement?

you need to know the churches goals and expectations of their property in as much detail as possible first.

RedMaple Lawns
09-06-2009, 03:15 AM
What exactly do you need? how to bid?, how to format a proposal?, what to say in a cover letter?, what to say in your personal fact statement?

you need to know the churches goals and expectations of their property in as much detail as possible first.

Well said.

And as far as pricing...break it down. Estimate aerate/seed cost, mowing, cleanup, etc. For something along these lines you better have a detailed agreement and understanding on what needs to be done. Don't sell yourself short either! Make sure you include everything.

pteknique
09-06-2009, 11:16 PM
Thanks guys for the help. I am working on my man hr labor rate. I have worked alone before this. So, now I need to redo my labor rate etc. BTW I do have a proposal from the church of what they expect etc. But, they need so much more than there asking for to get what they actually want. Think I'll just turn in two bids one with what needs to be done and one the way they asked for it and explain to them in detail why the two bids etc. Once again thanks for all the help.

MileHigh
09-07-2009, 12:11 AM
That place looks like crap...

Looks like something you'd whip the brush hog out for.

dvog
09-07-2009, 07:43 AM
I do a couple of churches.The begining of each year i submit my estimate for the work they requested.At the bottom of the estimate i add:ANY ADDITIONAL WORK REQUESTED NOT LISTED ON BID PROPOSAL WILL BE DONE AT $40PER.MAN/HOUR.Their is always more work to be done than they request.This way your covered.Dont forget to add weeding on the estimate.Most churches want to look good and dont want the flower beds full of weeds.