PDA

View Full Version : Exmark stalling problem helpp please!!!!!

Ziob
09-04-2009, 09:18 AM
hi everyone.....just wondered if anyone had any input on possibly why our exmark keeps stalling out especially when it gets warmed up. Blew out all the fuel lines, cleaned tank, new filter, new fuel pump flow seems fine. Still it appears that its running out of gas (fuel in fuel filter is wicked low after you run it for a while when its low engine will sputter like its trying to get fuel and stall from time to time). Any ideas were thinking something gummed up in the carb any input would be appreciated a ton!!! replaced all the safety electrical switches so don't think that has anything to do with it.

thanks!!!!!

ALC-GregH
09-04-2009, 09:33 AM
sounds like the ignition coil is going bad.

Ziob
09-04-2009, 09:35 AM
would that cause it to cut in and out and stall out completely from time to time? we were thinking along those lines cuz it really acts up when it gets hot. crazy cuz machine has low hours on it.

ALC-GregH
09-04-2009, 09:37 AM
yes, it will take a bit before they start to act up. It's the heat that's killing them.

milo
09-04-2009, 11:03 AM
when a coil goes bad usually still runs what engine is on it?? it usually will miss or run weak if a coil is bad. next try running it with the gas cap off or loose and see if keeps running

Runner
09-04-2009, 12:45 PM
I'm confused to what engine too, because the poster first says fuel pump changed, but then mentions a carb.

Ziob
09-04-2009, 02:54 PM
got the 23hp kawasaki in it..... no vapor lock does same thing with gas caps on , loosened and off. this engine here will skip out then kick in and then when it starts to run longer it'll just die sometimes we can get it to pick back up again if you choke it quick which leads me to think there's crap in the carb blocking fuel flow thats why after running the gas in the filter will be wicked low.

chesterlawn
09-04-2009, 05:43 PM
Check to see if there are any cuts or cracks in the fuel lines.

Ziob
09-04-2009, 07:19 PM
nothing their all good no holes no leaks

milo
09-04-2009, 11:30 PM
well then yes u got a carb problem, either take off and rebuild it get new one.

Nosmo
09-05-2009, 06:11 AM
My 23 HP Kawasaki did a similar thing a couple years ago. Would start up and run OK and just choke down and die. Let it sit a couple minutes and it would start and then choke down and die again.

It was crap in the tank itself clogging the line from the tank to the carb. And the fuel filter was getting clogged too. I changed fuel filters and the problem ended.

Try running some Sea Foam through your gas tank to see if you can clear the carb.

Nosmo

Ziob
09-05-2009, 09:43 AM
put new filter on twice still same problem and the fuel flow seems to be fine i don't think we'd have a problem with a clog in both tanks but will flush them again on sunday worst case i thiink we will rebuild the carb. Don't think its the tanks as it does it on both, plus if you pop off the fuel line the filter will fill back up again full no problem and gas has a steady stream from both tanks.

Runner
09-05-2009, 11:19 PM
I'll go with the premise that something is clogging the line at the exit of the tank. It is just like putting your finger over the end of a straw. Think about it - the filter will only be half full...but as soon as you disconnect the hose (just below where the clog is), the siphon is broken...and the venting allows the fuel to flow freely into the filter.

Ziob
09-06-2009, 02:18 AM
flushed it twice will try flushing tanks again but don't think thats it what are the odds of both tanks being clogged? and after blowing lines out twice?

Nosmo
09-06-2009, 06:22 AM
I'd still lean towards there is something in those lines which is coming from the tank or tanks.

It may be a lot of trouble but I would take all the lines from the fuel pump back to the bottom of the tanks and the lines on top of the tanks loose too.

Flush them out and somehow flush those tanks and while I was at it I'd check my gasoline cans for trash in them.

Nosmo

milo
09-06-2009, 10:00 PM
dont look at the filter it dont matter how much fuel is in them. 2 of my ztr filters never show gas in them and run fine. if you still think along these lines try buying a new fuel line and just fit that to carb and hook up to a regular gas can and let run but if that dont cure it and i doubt it will them its in the carb.

Ziob
09-07-2009, 07:45 PM
thanks for everyones help we are leaning towards possibly a fuel line getting heated up near the engine and then slowly collapsing when the mower gets hot causing problems with the gas flow. mower will run strong for a while then once its warm we start having the stalling problems hopefully that will fix it. don't think its the carb just because it runs strong before it gets hot and you guys don't think it would be the solenoid on the carb (ignition coil) as it would still run just run bad when this is running its running good. let me know if any more ideas. replacing fuel line tomorrow and new filter will see what happens.

rick2752
09-07-2009, 09:24 PM
Just another idea to throw out there. I had a 2001 lazer Z with 25 horse Kohler. The carb has a selenoid on it to let the fuel in. I had a loose wire on the ignition key that kept loosing contact and would shut off that selenoid. Caused the mower to act like it was running out of fuel, which it was. Good Luck and let us know what it was.

underPSI
09-07-2009, 10:09 PM
I had the same exact problem with my 21hp Kawasaki (FYI, the only difference between the 21, 23, & 25 is the throttle stop. The 25 also has an oil cooler. The jetting is the same on all 3.). I disassembled, cleaned, and rebuilt the carb twice. I am absolutely positive there was no dirt in the carb and the jets were spotless. Problem still persisted afterwards. All maintenance with the exception of the air filter was done prior to the carb rebuilds including new fuel line and fuel filter. I was at my wit's end with this thing. I figured there was no way it could be the air filter since the symptoms weren't pointing at a clogged air filter and the fact it was still fairly fresh. I decided to replace the air filter even though it only had approximately 20 hours and was visibly clean. Low and behold I have not had the problem since the air filter replacement. I know it doesn't make sense that an air filter would cause that problem. It still baffles me but I tell you one thing I'm glad the problem is gone.

Ziob
09-08-2009, 09:08 AM
picking up parts this morning i'll replace that solenoid on the carb as well if the new line, filter, and air filter doesn't fix the problem.....i'm almost positive nothing in the carb it has to be one of the three. will let you guys know what happens today

Ziob
09-08-2009, 02:30 PM
new line, new filter still did it but not nerely as often hopefully it'll clear up in the next day we'll see otherwise back to the drawing board.

underPSI
09-08-2009, 09:15 PM
It's not going to be the solenoid. It that were the problem it wouldn't even start.

Ziob
09-09-2009, 08:58 AM
maybe a bad connection on one end like someone said jiggles around and will cut off the gas if its not on right from time to time???? will see how it runs today running some sea foam through it i know its not the tanks line of filter gas is flying out of there.

Lance L
09-09-2009, 09:52 PM
ha, my ztr is doing the same thing this week and last, i have a 17hp kawasaki(must be the kawis :P) on mine. i have changed plugs, fuel filter, cleaned out the lines, swapped both coils with good ones, took the switch out of the bottom of the carb and cut the end off to keep it from sticking closed, or closing at all(its a fuel shut off to help keep the mower from backfiring when you turn the ignition off, if you idle your equipment down before you turn it off you dont have that problem :)) i pulled the carb today and took the bowl off, all looked well, so went at it again, 30 minutes after running it same thing. last thing is start cleaning the carb, over and over again lol.

Ziob
09-09-2009, 11:23 PM
buddy of mine said their having problems with the safety switch under the seat........switch still works fine but the spring its on gets out of wack and needs adjustment otherwise it cuts off now and then don't think thats my issue but its worth looking at.

Lance L
09-10-2009, 03:15 AM
my switch is bypassed, not a problem here =)

Lance L
09-10-2009, 03:18 AM
i am going to try bypassing my ignition switch though to see if something may be going wrong with it, one bad thing about electrical problems is if they are off and on, whenever they are working properly, there is no way to figure out what it is. then it stops completely and you take it to finally get fixed, and when you get somewhere to drop it off, it starts right back up =P i hate electrical...

sanchezmechanic
09-10-2009, 10:43 AM
Hello, I recomend used provisional fuel tank hook direct to fuel pump and install clear fuel line between fuel pump and carburetor, also check compression, spark plug gap 0.030" , if you have a leakdown tester, do the test this will show you if piston rings and valves have a leak, let me know if work's.

and if you give me you model number and spec, I provide the especifications.

Lance L
09-10-2009, 11:32 AM
the only downside to a set up like that is my mower wont do it until 30 minutes of use at the soonest, and by the time its off for a few minutes setting this stuff up, its cooled down enough to not do it for a while =P i guess i could throw a board across the back tops of the tanks and use a cheap 2.5 gallon can, and throw a fitting on the bottom somewhere, and just run it like that to see if the problem arises again, i will have to do this in an undisclosed location lol, talk about looking professional!!! =)

Ziob
09-11-2009, 12:11 PM
for the most part the mower has cleared up and doesn't do it nearly as often or as bad as it did its only stalled out completely one time and now on larger yards it'll only "skip out" a few times still not sure what the problems is but atleast its not completely crapping out every 20 yards like it had been.

VegetiveSteam
09-13-2009, 06:35 PM
When it is running good is the fuel filter more full than when it's running poorly? If so I'd forget any carb or electrical problem. You have some sort of fuel delivery problem. Bad ignition coil won't cause the fuel filter to run out of fuel. Neither will a carb problem.

Lance L
09-14-2009, 07:09 PM
well found my problem, i went ahead and put new elbows with the strainers on them coming out of the tanks, but someone had put a elbow with a valve on it on one side, and it didnt have a strainer, when i blew out the tank som bits of o-ring fell out, and when i made it to the valve to switch the tanks, sure enough there was a peice of o-ring stuck in it, and the mower would only run well for the 20-30 minutes, because that was the fuel it had in the carb and fuel line to that point, then it would begin to struggle to get more fuel. o well another thing i know to look for when someonthing is going wrong =)

Ziob
09-19-2009, 09:28 AM
mines still doing it can seem to figure it out...with the new filter its typically already low on fuel in it its not doing it nearly as bad but it still does just die out once in a while and i have to wait a second and restart. funny thing is if i pop off the line on the carb side of the filter gas will come flying out...and like you said i don't think its a carb issue.

Lance L
09-20-2009, 05:27 PM
my fuel filter is always half full, you need to stop worrying about how much fuel is in your filter lol. drain your tanks, pull out the elbows make sure they are clean, pull off each section of hose and make sure its clear, dont just blow out all the lines, check your valve even if you have extra hose, try bypassing your valve, just run a fueline straight from one tank to the fuel filter.

juspayme
09-26-2009, 03:12 AM
a coil goes out after running a unit for 30-45 min. it seems like its a carb issue but when a coil gets hot, if its bad, will make the mower not even go up the smallest hill
mine just went on my new exmark after 112 hours, your dealership can check them.

i told my dealer i thought it was the coil, but no they put a new carb on, picked it up, took it back because theydidnt up the rpm. ran it and about 45 min it was acting up agiain, took it back, put another carb on it. im like did you test the coil, she said no but its running fine. im like test the coil honey. tested the coil. it was bad. replaced coil. no problem since.

the reason i had a good idea is because my father is an electrican

Ziob
09-28-2009, 09:53 AM
even though my fuel filter starts out about half full then slowly runs down until there's only a little bit in it i don't think its a fuel problem when i pop that hose off fuel is flying out of there so we should be good plus to have both tanks clogged is a long shot. I narrowed it down to either a bad coil like you said or an electrical problem with the switch under the seat......leaning toward the switch it was stalling bad i unplugged that switch and then plugged it back in and it ran for a while no problems going to bypass the switch this week and see what happens hopefully thats is easy fix.

bobo316
09-30-2009, 09:42 AM
try replacing fuel lines.they may be collapsing when mower warms up.

Ziob
10-03-2009, 09:39 AM
did that on the main line i suspect an electrical problem bad connection with one of the switches. going to check them all again today and try and bypass the sweat switch which i think is the culprit don't think its a fuel problem even though my filter is typically extremely low if i pop the line off gas comes flying out of it so we have good fuel flow.

Ziob
10-06-2009, 11:29 AM
has to be electrical checking each connecction again today for switches or the bad "coil" on the carb that keeps it from backfiring. machine will jjust die but i can let it run all day when parked not moving nothing engadged full throttle and it won't stall. only when moving.

JKOOPERS
10-06-2009, 12:45 PM
i had a problem with one of my WB's it turned out to be the safety interlock module. I went through the process like you did and it took a $60 part to fix it and about 3 minutes.

Ziob
10-07-2009, 11:41 AM
went through all the wiriing connections cleaned, checked for good connections everything seems fine even the interlockers throughout......seat switch is bypassed the machine will run good for about a half hour then start having problems after.....filter starts off half full most of the time but when we run it for a while it'll be way down toward the bottom still think its getting gas ok though. going to bypass the tank valve and go direct to see if thats the problem if not its either the coil or the backfire solenoid on the carb any ideas?

Ziob
10-07-2009, 11:55 AM
also tend to act up when on an hill sideways......going up or down hills etc.... getting to the finish line here hopefully fixed this week. big thing is the run for 30 minute then have problems like something is getting hot......fuel lines replaced plus they had low hours anyway so don't suspect any collapsing....fuel filter is clean and new.....and when pop filter off even though its low on gas when running fuel flies out of there.

Ziob
10-08-2009, 09:17 AM
heading out now will know more tonight if it craps out again!

Ziob
10-12-2009, 09:39 AM
bothered us still that fuel filter would start off half full like normal then after running for a bit would be down to barely anything in it even though if we popped the line off gas would fly out......put a much larger filter on gas was steady maybe burning gas off to quickly we'll see if it makes it though the larger lawns now without stalling. otherwise its not the safety switches so its the safety interlock module or solenoid on the carb.

juspayme
10-13-2009, 02:43 AM
its the coil dude

Ziob
10-13-2009, 09:00 AM
coil either works or it doesn't............this will start right up after stalling usually a bad ignition coil it won't start after its hot........this will start right up hot. going to run it today if not going to replace the ignition coils and see.

Ziob
10-13-2009, 10:32 PM
still stalls what would make the gas in the filter start full then run bone dry and be starving the engine for gas? put a monster filter on and it ran mint no problems until that filter went down low low barely anything in it but ran for a long time while it had gas no problems. main line is replaced.....gas caps cleaned and vent properly onlything i can think of is something in the tank (both tanks do it or splitter but i've blown them out like 10 times. will try again any ideas appreciiated otherwise i'm taking my plow truck and smashing into this thing

PR0 TURF
10-18-2009, 08:45 PM
Ziob...have you taken apart the anti-backfire solenoid yet??

VegetiveSteam
10-18-2009, 11:15 PM
I apologize if I missed it but what engine do you have? Also after it dies how long does it have to sit before you can start it again?

evont22
10-18-2009, 11:32 PM
I have a exmark w/ 27hp kawi on it and had very similar problems.... even replaced the coils, and the problem was still around. ended up being the anti backfire solenoid in the carb (fuel shut off).... replaced that and it solved all the problems. It was hanging up and not letting enough fuel past it while it was running. I would have to run the mower with choke on and i was only getting about 1/2 power out of the engine. Give it a try- its a cheap part.

PR0 TURF
10-18-2009, 11:38 PM
I have a exmark w/ 27hp kawi on it and had very similar problems.... even replaced the coils, and the problem was still around. ended up being the anti backfire solenoid in the carb (fuel shut off).... replaced that and it solved all the problems. It was hanging up and not letting enough fuel past it while it was running. I would have to run the mower with choke on and i was only getting about 1/2 power out of the engine. Give it a try- its a cheap part.

Same exact thing happened to me...once i fixed that the problem went away for good!

Ziob
10-19-2009, 09:42 AM
thats the next on the list coils are fine engine will start right back up no probs so its not them when hot.

PR0 TURF
12-22-2009, 09:44 PM
What was the final verdict of the stalling problem? Were you ever able to repair it?

Big Wes
12-28-2009, 11:41 AM
Check and make sure the vent on the gas cap is clean. I had a WB that would shut down and was hard to start after. Cleaned the gas cap vent with a paper clip alls good now. Sometimes it's the simple things that will drive you bonkers.

helidriver
12-28-2009, 12:01 PM
I had the exact same problem....was the coil pack. sounds like the same exact problem. please let me know the problem when u find out ok.