PDA

View Full Version : drain question

ccas
09-04-2009, 12:17 PM
I have a low area on my lawn that really fills with water. During all of this rain we have had I would say the "mud pit" had about a six inches of standing water and about a foot or more of mud! I dug a trench about 18 inches wide and 18 inches deep. It runs along the edge and middle of the trouble area. The area to the side of the trench is pretty dry for the most part now. The trench is completely full of water. I have no place to run the water off to or I would. I dug a runoff hole to the side and it filled pretty quickly. My question.... Should I go ahead and fill the trench with gravel and a 4"pipe? Or should I try to make sure the trench is draining all out before I worry about filling it?

mzgloves20
09-05-2009, 11:17 PM
Make sure it is draining out or it will stay soggy regardless of gravel. Or dig a giant gravel filled pit and install a drywell to leach the water out back into the soil.

Maybe fill and regrade the yard?

DiyDave
09-06-2009, 07:33 AM
Try drilling a hole or two with a bulb planting auger (about 2-3"in diameter, go as deep as you can go), fill the hole(s) with coarse sand or pea gravel, should allow the water to percolate down.

Dirt Boy
09-07-2009, 12:34 AM
Don't know your soil type or how it drains, but go to the NDS drainage site, they have some pretty good info, instructions etc. directed towards this type of problem.
Hope I spelled it right, but their the company that is big in the big box stores for drainage type fittings, pipe etc.

DVS Hardscaper
09-07-2009, 12:02 PM
Don't know your soil type or how it drains, but go to the NDS drainage site, they have some pretty good info, instructions etc. directed towards this type of problem.
Hope I spelled it right, but their the company that is big in the big box stores for drainage type fittings, pipe etc.

I was thinking the same thing. NDS has one particular system called 'Flo-Well'. Part of me is thinkin this may be of help. But like Dirt Boy said - your soil type plays an important role in the correct fix.

mzgloves20
09-07-2009, 08:59 PM
I was thinking the same thing. NDS has one particular system called 'Flo-Well'. Part of me is thinkin this may be of help. But like Dirt Boy said - your soil type plays an important role in the correct fix.

Soil type is important for the proper drainage with a flo well (or any dry well). If your soil wont drain fast enough, you'll have to make a much larger hole filled with more aggregate. Probably more work then filling the low spot and grading it properly.