PDA

View Full Version : Top soil with human waste in it

little green guy
07-25-2000, 09:36 PM
We did a job today with couple tandem laods of topsiol and they said that there was human waste in the topsoil and that stuff smelled so bad!!! My question is does anybody know anything about that stuff? Do they sanitize it or anything. We did another job with the stuff earlier in the year and the grass came in real nice but I HATE working with it.

Stonehenge
07-25-2000, 10:00 PM
As a trial run, a local county sanitation dept. did some recycling of human waste to use as a topsoil amendment. As I understood it, is was sterilized and had some benefits.<p>I think to sell it it'd have to be sterilized, otherwise whoever was selling would be opening themselves up to great liability, with all the germs/diseases that can be present.<p>But it would've been too hard a sell for me, so I didn't try it.<p>As a side note, the human digestive system is very efficient - not much left to act as fertilizer for plants/seeds. Dogs are the same way. Cows (and elephants) are very inefficient - that's why their dung is beneficial - lots of good stuff still left.<p>But if the customer catches you with your pants down, I don't think they'll buy the story that you're 'amending their soil'. :)

paul
07-25-2000, 10:37 PM
I wouldn't use it most human waste coming from sewage treatment plants has heavy metals in it, hope your customers don't plant a garden or have little kids that play in the dirt, If it was me I woulndn't touch that stuff. <p>----------<br>paul<br>

phurly
07-27-2000, 07:47 AM
I've been in this business over 20 years. I use the human waste product all the time. If you are thinking about this ask the company for a material data sheet. This will inform you of what levels of what are in it. The stuff I get is also tested by the state and can even be used on vegetable gardens. Material collected from large industrial sites usually contain higher levels of metals. Find a company that does rural residential collection. I use it for both a soil modifier and topdressing (mulch) on perenial beds.

stslawncare
07-27-2000, 06:36 PM
Ok i checked with my boss today (i hope i dont get in trouble for mentioning this) i work for a soil compost mulch etc company. Human waste used for lawns and gardens is a big no no, main reason is for heavy metals. i believe i mentioned this on our webpage under compost, i will add a article on this asap also. page is www.nutrasoils.com. if anyone has any further questions concerning this please feel free to contact me.<br>Scottie<p>----------<br>Scottie Schmidt<br>STS Lawn Care

gusbuster
08-01-2000, 03:35 PM
We have been using a product called &quot;Tillow&quot; It is 75% sewer sluge,hulls of rice, and coffee grounds. I have never had a problem with high metal content. Matter of fact, the lawns and gardens that we have used this product have ecellent wintering properties,(ie. the grass doesn't brown out during winter times). I can't complain about the price either, $32 for a 5 sq.yd. bucket. Our local county health departments(san mateo and santa clara) have approved this for soil admendments for use on their propeties. I havn't had a client yet get sick from me using this product. I do have to agree that it stinks to holy _ _ _ _ _ _ , stains sidewalks, but once dried out, exposed to sun, can't smell it anymore. Do have to wash out the trucks well though after use.<br>John<p>----------<br>J-LC Landscaping & Maintenance Gardening<br>C-27 Ca Contr# 770044

richard2
08-14-2000, 11:05 AM
they're called biosolids and they work best mixed into soil...sustainable ag is all about microbes