PDA

View Full Version : Whats up with this (dead spots in customers yard)

ALLPro Landscaping
09-04-2009, 11:54 PM
This is one of my customers, I fertilize only 3 X's this year since they are on a budget, the entire lawn is green and lush except for this one area maybe 15ft X 20ft in the front of the house under an oak tree looks weak and brown, maybe even dead. what do you guys think. take a look at the pics. Thanks

FYS777
09-05-2009, 12:41 AM
just looks like its dry, stick a shovel in and see if the dirt is wet or dry, my first guess, the roots of the tree will take more water from the grass. even looks like its dry around the tree base as well.

ALLPro Landscaping
09-05-2009, 12:45 AM
Ok I will do that but their is a irrigation system in place and I know the heads are in that direction and work, I serviced them at the beginning of the year. Also with all this rain we've gotten? the yard has a lot of trees, and the rest of the yard is beautiful and green

FYS777
09-05-2009, 12:55 AM
Ok I will do that but their is a irrigation system in place and I know the heads are in that direction and work, I serviced them at the beginning of the year. Also with all this rain we've gotten? the yard has a lot of trees, and the rest of the yard is beautiful and green

I zoomed in on that last pic, it looks like maybe a moss look under the grass?? is there??

ALLPro Landscaping
09-05-2009, 01:08 AM
I didn't notice any, but I will check again on Tuesday, anything else I should look for. If it is moss, should I just add more lime or??

dKoester
09-05-2009, 01:16 AM
Grubs or Fungi seem to be the problem.

ALLPro Landscaping
09-05-2009, 01:21 AM
ok if its a grub or fungi problem how do I fix it. Thanks for the reply

FYS777
09-05-2009, 01:34 AM
ok if its a grub or fungi problem how do I fix it. Thanks for the reply

grubs.......

http://www.gardenguides.com/pests/tips/grubs.asp

ALLPro Landscaping
09-05-2009, 01:38 AM
so should I just treat the lawn for grubs anyway

FYS777
09-05-2009, 01:43 AM
so should I just treat the lawn for grubs anyway

grubs... check for grubs first to make sure u have them.

http://www.abouteating.com/Grubs.htm

dKoester
09-05-2009, 01:43 AM
Milky spore for the grubs. 1 (rounded) tablespoon of Baking Soda with 1 tablespoon of Horticulture oil per gallon for the Fungus. Do not soak the soil just wet the foliage and its OK to get some on the soil you just don't want it saturated.

ALLPro Landscaping
09-05-2009, 01:48 AM
where do I get the oil from, and remember its a decent size area

ALLPro Landscaping
09-05-2009, 01:57 AM
area outlined in red is the infected area

ALLPro Landscaping
09-05-2009, 02:00 AM
lets try again

dKoester
09-05-2009, 02:12 AM
You don't have to use the oil. Baking Soda will be just fine. Check your fertilizer and see if it contains oxidating properties. If so you will be good to go. Helps destroy fungi cell walls.

ALLPro Landscaping
09-05-2009, 02:18 AM
Ok do you know if lesco sells anything of such. If they have a granule form then ill just do the whole yard

phasthound
09-05-2009, 10:50 AM
Hold on now. You must get an accurate diagnosis of the problem before even thinking about a treatment. Big difference between grubs and fungus.
I commend people for trying to help out, but do not make any treatment based on pictures sent over the Internet. That is not good management.

Take sample to your county extension office for ID.

If it's grubs, what kind? Milky Spore only treats jap beetle grubs, and can take 3 years to work. Nematodes might be a better choice.

If it's a fungal issue, which I think is more likely, what fungus? ICT Organics NPP can wipe out several types of fungal diseases.

After diagnosing the problem then decide if a treatment is necessary and if so use the proper product and procedure. But that is only working on the symptom. The next step is diagnosing the cause and preventing the problem from reoccurring.

dKoester
09-05-2009, 11:06 AM
Tug on the grass, if it comes up easy with no roots its grubs and check to see if you see any in the ground a half inch to an inch into the soil.

FYS777
09-05-2009, 11:09 AM
Hold on now. You must get an accurate diagnosis of the problem before even thinking about a treatment. Big difference between grubs and fungus.
I commend people for trying to help out, but do not make any treatment based on pictures sent over the Internet. That is not good management.

Take sample to your county extension office for ID.

If it's grubs, what kind? Milky Spore only treats jap beetle grubs, and can take 3 years to work. Nematodes might be a better choice.

If it's a fungal issue, which I think is more likely, what fungus? ICT Organics NPP can wipe out several types of fungal diseases.

After diagnosing the problem then decide if a treatment is necessary and if so use the proper product and procedure. But that is only working on the symptom. The next step is diagnosing the cause and preventing the problem from reoccurring.

I agree, thats why i gave him those links about grubs.

phasthound
09-05-2009, 12:19 PM
I'm not so sure it's grubs because they prefer sunny areas and the weather has been favorable for fungal problems.

ALLPro Landscaping
09-05-2009, 12:43 PM
Thanks everyone, great responses, I am going to go out to the property on tuesday, I will try to pry up some grass and see if their is anything under their, Ill even try to get some better pics, ill keep you guys posted. Thanks

Stillwater
09-05-2009, 01:16 PM
I zoomed in on that last pic, it looks like maybe a moss look under the grass?? is there??

Nice chatch, Good eye I totaly missed that........

FYS777
09-05-2009, 01:32 PM
Nice chatch, Good eye I totaly missed that........

after closer look you must have seen it to? I don't know much but i do certain checks , i use shovel to see if soil is to wet or to dry, physically in my hands. and use shovel to check for grubs , or bugs, then i get down on hands and knees to get a close up look at the grass and whats underneath the grass, in several different spots in the bad areas and the good areas to compare. plus i can see better with my bifocals up close,:laugh::laugh:

Stillwater
09-05-2009, 01:58 PM
after closer look you must have seen it to? I don't know much but i do certain checks , i use shovel to see if soil is to wet or to dry, physically in my hands. and use shovel to check for grubs , or bugs, then i get down on hands and knees to get a close up look at the grass and whats underneath the grass, in several different spots in the bad areas and the good areas to compare. plus i can see better with my bifocals up close,:laugh::laugh:

Ya you can barely see it but its their, I have some of that moss in my shady areas, it goes away when I fert.

MikeT
09-05-2009, 09:55 PM
I've seen a lot of creeping red fescue hit by red thread fungus this year, thinning out, and leaving similar dead spots.