PDA

View Full Version : replacing temporary gravel road with bermuda sod

mudwisr2
09-05-2009, 10:20 AM
We are looking to restore a sports field on a customers property and am looking for opinions. It is a facility for kids so the field is used for all sports. No fancy drainage work, grading, etc like on college/pro fields. Just a field. The building was renovated last winter and a temporary construction office was set up on half of the field.

There is currently about 400 feet of road that is around 20 feet wide on average. It makes a circle. I am looking for opinions on how you would go about this job. I was originally thinking loaders and dump trucks to remove the gravel but have also debated spreading the gravel and then laying dirt over the area before sodding with bermuda. Give me some of your ideas.....

Thanks in advance.

RAlmaroad
09-05-2009, 11:21 AM
Outside of using those kids with shovels and bag, a front end loader will be the quickest. If time isn't a factor, rent a good sized bobcat and scoop gravel into dump truck. 400 feet of road and 20' wide should be about 20 ton of gravel or two dump trucks. You could use a small trailer that'll carry about two ton and do a lot of trips. Or maybe some contractor would help out the kids (I wouldn't bet on it) just for scraping and loading the gravel. However gravel is about $5.00/ton from the quarry so they can get it cheaper than doing the job. On second thought, the bobcat front end loader may be the least worry. Just an option. Those kids with shovels and bags on a Saturday.....

Think Green
09-05-2009, 06:06 PM
mudwisr,
I am in Jonesboro and I wish you were closer because I would take the rocks off your hands for free. I need to resurface my pasture road!!!!
Taking out the rocks is the best advise, because some contractor's here will just level out the rocks, apply about 2 inches of soil over that and lay the sod............??
Bermuda will grow on this material but during periods of drought and misapplied irrigation, the spot will fade and you will have this 400 foot semi circle of browing grass!!
Do the job right the first time, so this customer or committee--whatever they are will call you back for positive questions and not the negative problems.
Have you checked with anyone locally to see if they need some rocks for their offsite jobs? Have you talked with Stringer's Nursery to see if they could use it somewhere??
We used to live and work in Memphis-Bartlett, Germantown, and Downtown Metro area in the late 80's. We always found someone who could use things like this for free. All they have to do is show up during your excavation efforts and they can have it. This customer doesn't have to know that you are doing this!! You are eliminating the gravel for the job, then apply topsoil back where you take the rock out from.
18 pallets of Bermuda is a good job, so have the contractor's ready when you need them. Does the ball field need excess soil deposited off site for future use???

I would ring as many phones as I could to get rid of the stuff----Personally!!

mudwisr2
09-05-2009, 10:32 PM
Thanks for the advice. Who did you normally talk to about taking the stuff (debris) off your hands?
Posted via Mobile Device

Think Green
09-05-2009, 10:44 PM
Mudwisr,
I had an uncle who was a Landscape Architect for Sam Stringer's Nursery on Summer Ave.
We contacted these nurseries and asked them if they could use some hardfill like this.
I don't recall knowing where to dispose of this kind of hardfill in Memphis as the areas have become so vast. With all the building and newer roadways being developed in Germantown, I can't see it too hard to get the rocks gone........

Good Luck my brother!!!!!

mudwisr2
09-06-2009, 12:51 AM
Thanks. I can use about 175 feet of it for a road to my barn. (I think my wife would be cool with it). If not, my moms driveway is gravel and is about 1/4 mile long and could use some refreshing. Not sure why I didn't think of her driveway before!!!
Posted via Mobile Device

mudwisr2
09-09-2009, 10:53 AM
Any other opinions?
Posted via Mobile Device