PDA

View Full Version : I need help asap. Broadleaf fert app to Emerald Green Arborvitae.

OSCLandscaping
09-05-2009, 03:04 PM
First I did not do this, my father did, really. He wanted to fert his arborvitae so he applied some fert he had kicking around. The fert contained 2,4D. It was rated at 5 lbs per 5,000 sqft. He applied 10 lbs per 1000 sqft. The arborvitae are appx 12 ft tall, healthy and established. Any suggestions on what we should do or should we just hope for the best. Thanks for any input.

jbturf
09-05-2009, 04:40 PM
so he applied 10x the label rate?

gunsnroses
09-05-2009, 05:27 PM
Remove dirt and fert mix the best you can. Try your best to spread it at label rate in a safe area. Add carbon to contaminated area and add new soil, then flush area if your not near sewer drains or bodies of water. Go shopping for a new tree.

You could go about it different if it has not been watered in.

Think Green
09-05-2009, 05:52 PM
OSC,
If the stuff was weed n' feed, I would worry, because it is not always the Dichlorophenoxy Acid of 2-4D to worry about. It will dissipate quickly, yet the Dicamba and the Mecaprop is the other ingredients that are root absorbed and translocated. The 2-4D is folar translocated. Applying the product at 10X the label rate even for fertilizer is asking for death of the Arborvitae because it cannot take the flush of nitrate to reserve it for the winter. The rest of the nitrogen will be lost to the atmosphere or nitrificated out to the air and leaching. Excess root burn and possible folar damage will occur without the herbicide application. However, it may be adviseable to remove the tree or you can spend the money for Activated Charcoal but if the area has already dissolved, it isn't worth the effort. Flushing with water isn't going to help either!!

I need to know more about the exact product used other than fertilizer with 2-4D. This doesn't sound like products that we use here or obtain from local stores. I wouldn't worry if the ingredient was just 2-4D, but with other ingredients, I wouldn't hesitate to remove the tree or let nature take its course. Allow 30 to 45 days for the area to dissolve and rectify the herbicide.

Get back with me on the product used..............PM me if you choose!!!!!!!

OSCLandscaping
09-06-2009, 11:00 AM
Thanks for the info, I will have the label tomorrow and repot when I have more info. Thanks again.

OSCLandscaping
09-09-2009, 04:10 PM
I stopped by my dads today, he used Vigoro weed and feed, cool lawn mix. The fertilizer is bright green, he vacuumed about 95% of it up. I walked around the trees today and only spotted prills every so often. I think the trees will make it.

If they don't I'll post it here. Thanks for all the responses I really appreciate it.