PDA

View Full Version : Just can't get control on Mouse Eared Chickweed

beegreenlandcare
09-05-2009, 06:26 PM
I'm having a real problem with "mouse ear chickweed" on 1 of my properties.
I've tried Super Trimec and Speedzone (Speedzone @ 1.5 oz. per 1000ft2 and Super Trimec @ 1 oz. per 1000ft2) this site gets both Spring and Fall apps. and is the only one I've have the chickweed problem on. I doble checked th label on Speedzone and "yup" rite there it says it controls mouse ear chickweed.
What else?

suzook
09-05-2009, 06:45 PM
the super trimec should def do the trick. I dont know whay your havong such a proble. Does it kill it, and it comes back? or does it never go away?

Think Green
09-05-2009, 07:23 PM
BeenGreen,
I hope that you are adding a surfactant with it?? You didn't mention that!
IF you didn't the chem will semi-control where the droplets land, but doesn't control it very effectively.
We are experiencing temperature up's and down's here and we are having to reapply post emerge's of trimec 992 way too early this year... I use Surfac 80/20!!!
We are about to start reapplying Simazine--Pre-M and Barricade.

We are a month early!!!!! Crazy season!!

beegreenlandcare
09-06-2009, 02:14 PM
With the Super Trimec I used a non-ionic spreader/sticker but w/ the Speedzone I didn't use a S/S.
It seems to curl-burn back and then just comes back altogether-at least thats what I noticed this past Spring when I used the Speed...

tremor
09-06-2009, 08:08 PM
Try using a better surfactant with an Organo Silicone base. Pendimethalin in the fall helps with chickweed too.

grassman177
09-06-2009, 08:21 PM
yes, but timing is everything too. make sure to catch it in early spring before it flowers and also late fall as it is very young at this stage ready to blow up in spring. it flowers quite early and in order to gain real control you have to rid the population of seeds. i have done this on several places that had problems before. took a couple years but now i never even see it in those areas anymore.

tremor
09-07-2009, 02:18 AM
Absolutely spray before flowering.

beegreenlandcare
09-07-2009, 11:24 AM
Try using a better surfactant with an Organo Silicone base. Pendimethalin in the fall helps with chickweed too.

I have a Lesco/JD Landscapes about 1/2 hour away. I'll see if they have an organo silicone base spreader sticker available. My local FS Conserv. is hwere I've always gotten my product and they can be pretty generic at times. I use Dimension in Spring.

RigglePLC
09-07-2009, 10:08 PM
Lesco/JDL has Hawkeye, organosilicone spreader sticker--it is about $50 per half gallon. However a little goes a long way. Try to spray low volume, as sticker is less expensive that way. Spreader sticker is mixed by the gallon--not by the thousand sq ft.
Is this a backpack sprayer? Habd can? Skid sprayer? Ride on? How many gallons per thousand? Are you calibrated correctly? For serious problems--mix Speeedzone, Super trimec, and Hawkeye--all at maximum rate.