PDA

View Full Version : 16Hp kawasaki FH480V KAI Engine problems

Erielandscaper
09-05-2009, 08:16 PM
Having issues with my 16hp Kawasaki Fh480 V KAI Engine... It is reving up and down at all rpms, the throttle linkage that conects to the carb and to the bottom of the carb is mowing up and down when it revs, if you hold the linkage in place it will stall out.. whats causing this? i took the jet out and there is no debris in it. I took the fuel pump apart all looks good.. whats the issue i need a quick fix soon i mow right after labor day HELP!!!

Erielandscaper
09-05-2009, 08:35 PM
The linkage from the carb to the bottom of the motor is moving up and down*** correction was multi tasking when i was posting this sorry for the all errors!!

Restrorob
09-05-2009, 08:44 PM
What about the port/passage the main jet screws into, Is it open/clear ?

Try slowly applying the choke, If the engine smooths out there is most likely a restriction in the carb someplace, If that's the case it needs a complete tear-down and cleaning.

Erielandscaper
09-05-2009, 08:54 PM
Restrorob, i gave the choke thing a shot earlier and i do believe at some points with the choke it did run clear. I unscrewed the small screw out out of the bottom of the carb where the fuel bowl bolts onto, i pulled the dowl looking piece out it had around 12 small holes in it very very small holes.. i couldnt get out the other long skinny piece i wasnt sure if it came out so i didnt want to force it... the piece that came out slides over that skinny piece that i didnt take out, do you think something is in there? the carb looks simple not much too it. where is the dirt hiding?

Erielandscaper
09-05-2009, 09:24 PM
Also this has happened many times in the past 3 weeks, generally you could shut it down start it up again and it would be fine its like a off and on thing, sometimes it will doit sometimes it wont, but this time its staying and not fixing it self. Tell me what steps i should take i have all morning tommoro i can run to the store and get carb cleaner if you think that will help, i just want to get this thing fixed before Tuesday!!

Restrorob
09-05-2009, 10:09 PM
Well,

90% of the time "hunting" (throttling up and down) is caused from the carb leaning out from a restriction in one of the circuits. Since this is a pretty easy carb I would try shooting carb & choke cleaner through all ports/passages with the little straw.

Very carefully remove the plastic stop cap from the low speed adjuster (if not careful you can break the adjuster off). Screw the adjuster in until it's LIGHTLY seated counting the turns as you go, Then screw it back out for cleaning then screw it back in until LIGHTLY seated and back it out the number of turns you counted.

This will put it back at a good starting point which can be fine tuned from there at idle once the engine is running and warmed up (with the air filter in place).

There is a spring slid over the rod that hooks between the carb and governor arm, Is this spring intact and not stretched out of shape and hooked to the carb and governor arm ?

If cleaning the carb fully doesn't solve the problem then shout back and we'll look into the governor.

Good Luck

Erielandscaper
09-05-2009, 11:08 PM
Thanks buddy! I'll try it tommoro morning.. The spring that goes around the one connecting rod has gave me issues in the past sometimes the deck belt cover will pop up and hit the spring there is only 1/2 inch clearence between the two, I will have to look at the black plastic cap you speak of, im not quite sure what you mean off hand with out seeing the carb, i'll try my best then ill let you know. Thanks!!!

Restrorob
09-06-2009, 09:12 AM
the deck belt cover will pop up and hit the spring

:confused:

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m314/Restrorob/Kawasaki/FH/KawiFHThrottleLinkage.jpg

Erielandscaper
09-06-2009, 01:37 PM
hey restrorob i blew out all ports in the carb she runs now, Thanks a million, Also that black plastic cab i spotted today it only turns right and left there is like a stop on it. It seems like it did nothing when turning it when it was running. What position should it be in?

Restrorob
09-06-2009, 08:19 PM
that black plastic cab i spotted today it only turns right and left there is like a stop on it.

That's what all the below was all about, Removing the cap so the idle fuel mixture screw could be removed so those passages could be cleaned as well.

Very carefully remove the plastic stop cap from the low speed adjuster (if not careful you can break the adjuster off). Screw the adjuster in until it's LIGHTLY seated counting the turns as you go, Then screw it back out for cleaning then screw it back in until LIGHTLY seated and back it out the number of turns you counted.

The cap keeps people from twisting on the adjuster and making the engine run too rich, It's a EPA thing.

Twist it all the way counterclockwise so it doesn't run too lean at idle.....

Glad ya gotter runnin..... Thumbs Up

Erielandscaper
09-06-2009, 08:42 PM
ohh ok i didnt remove that screw , whatever was dirty must have came clean cause she runs smooth well for now we will see how tuesday goes if it does it again ill clean in there next time, thanks again tho!

bare spot
08-30-2014, 01:37 PM
sixth post in in being very careful bout removing the stop cap (limiter) so as not to mess up the low speed adjuster. could anyone who knows a good method to get this off possibly help me out here. want to get in there, check it out and clean some passages etc.. looks like a dead on carb that i'm running (kaw fh480v) but never performed this attempted this procedure, just don't wanna break anything. guessing i could somehow twist it off with pliers or maybe just pop off flathead screwdriver. idk, but thanks in advance.

bare spot
08-31-2014, 07:34 AM
sixth post in in being very careful bout removing the stop cap (limiter) so as not to mess up the low speed adjuster. could anyone who knows a good method to get this off possibly help me out here. want to get in there, check it out and clean some passages etc.. looks like a dead on carb that i'm running (kaw fh480v) but never performed this attempted this procedure, just don't wanna break anything. guessing i could somehow twist it off with pliers or maybe just pop off flathead screwdriver. idk, but thanks in advance.

nevermind,, think it came to me last nite. i guess could try some heat devise on that dang thing, used a heat gun help repair a br600 carb that got broken (replaced the plastic to turn the choke settings). if that looks like it's not gonna work i got a bunch of files here.