PDA

View Full Version : Sidewalk edging question

firstchoice1
09-06-2009, 12:34 PM
In recent I have been offering my customers quotes on sidewalk edging, at rates I think are pretty fair for the time it takes. My sidewalk edging includes driveway, sidewalks, and the curb where the grass ends.

I suspect that some of the residentials don't consider the curb where the grass ends part of what they want.

What do you guys think people generally want included in a sidewalk power edging?

How long does it normally take you to do say 240 ft of sidewalk edging with a power edger?

Thanks,

-Travis

mowerbrad
09-06-2009, 01:12 PM
It all depends on how overgrown the grass is. If it hasn't been edged ever, then it may take a little time. But if it is edged more regularly then it really doesn't take a whole lot of time. More overgrown edges require more time to clean-up, if you do the service weekly or biweekly all you need to do is use a blower and clean up the area.

White Gardens
09-06-2009, 03:14 PM
With a stick edger, and already established lines, then it shouldn't take more than thirty minutes to do 240 feet.

I do the curbs and if the customer has brick or curb edging around the landscaping then I'll edge that too.

I generally charge the same price or little less than a mow. If it has never been touched in 10 years, highly overgrown, then I'll charge labor and hauling to re-establish the edge. I've done a couple of over-grown corner lots that took me 2.5 hours just to establish the edge.

mdlwn1
09-06-2009, 09:08 PM
With a stick edger, and already established lines, then it shouldn't take more than thirty minutes to do 240 feet.

I do the curbs and if the customer has brick or curb edging around the landscaping then I'll edge that too.

I generally charge the same price or little less than a mow. If it has never been touched in 10 years, highly overgrown, then I'll charge labor and hauling to re-establish the edge. I've done a couple of over-grown corner lots that took me 2.5 hours just to establish the edge.

OMG! With a Tanaka wb edger..a 240 ft clean edge would take 10-12 minutes to edge and blow off. A new edge woud be hard to say, but not more than 35 minutes including a big green barrel to pick up the extra.

Columbia Care
09-06-2009, 09:24 PM
I use my string trimmer for all edging. For 240 feet which was regularly maintained, it would take me around 20 minutes from the time I arrived, unloaded, edged, blow everything off, reload and leave the job. If the property had not been edged, I would suspect it would talk around a hour plus (depending on how overgrown the property was). Hope that helps.

White Gardens
09-06-2009, 10:54 PM
OMG! With a Tanaka wb edger..a 240 ft clean edge would take 10-12 minutes to edge and blow off. A new edge woud be hard to say, but not more than 35 minutes including a big green barrel to pick up the extra.

Oh, what ever. It always can be done quicker and easier by someone else.

1/2 hr is ballpark. It can go up or down from there.

STIHL GUY
09-07-2009, 11:36 AM
i add the edging cost in when i estimate the lawn and i just use my trimmer to do it

FYS777
09-07-2009, 09:07 PM
Oh, what ever. It always can be done quicker and easier by someone else.

1/2 hr is ballpark. It can go up or down from there.

i like this, i agree,
lets see if i'm 20 years old i could run 10 to 12 minutes, almost a football field length,
if i'm 30 years old 12 to 15 minutes,
if i'm 40 years old 16 to 20 minutes
if im 50 years old 21 to 30 minutes,

i'm the later one so 30 minutes for me,:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Jpeg lawn maintenance
09-07-2009, 10:31 PM

do you like your tanaka edger was looking into gettting one.

turfcobob
09-08-2009, 05:21 PM
This will make your life easier for years to come.

http://www.turfcodirect.com/index.php?module=pagesetter&func=viewpub&tid=1&pid=10

The Edge-R-Rite by Turfco has been around for decades. It has 5 blades for 5 kinds of edging or edging installation. It cuts back and forth like a sod cutter. I can do a totally overgrow sidewalk say grass an inch thick overgrown in minutes. Actually at 70 feet per minute then just pick up the debris with a snow shovel and blow off the dust. If you want to cut a V trench edge just put on that blade. If you want to put a 45 degree angle around beds put on that blade. All steel construction I know guys who have had them for over 20 years and three engines. Although the Hondas do last longer now than the B & S used to. Check it out at Turfco.com

firstchoice1
09-08-2009, 10:16 PM
How much do the Edge R Rights cost? Watched the video, they look pretty neat.

Kennedy Landscaping
09-08-2009, 10:59 PM
For all of my customers, edging is included in the price.

pitrack
09-09-2009, 12:52 AM
I like my RedMax stick edger, once the initial edge is there, it takes me no more than 5 minutes to edge every week.
http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i248/pitrack/DSC_0596.jpg
The sidewalk sunk in the picture, that's why the edge looks weird towards the end of the walk.

Wideopen
09-09-2009, 05:23 AM
Good looking yard. Well done.

firstchoice1
09-09-2009, 08:05 AM
Well, it all depends if you put it in your pricing. I have mow/trim where Ill trim the sidewalks but not edge sidewalks. Generally I try to charge 55 per man hour, what are you charging per man hour?

pitrack
09-09-2009, 10:16 AM
What I did this season was just starteded edging for no additional charge. I have one or two accounts where the edges are pretty over grown, so I just use my trimmer to clean them up a little, and not my stick edger. I have had people flag me down and ask if I can edge their driveways and sidewalks and I just charge based on how long it will take me.

jiggz
09-10-2009, 05:11 PM
if its already established 240 feet would take me less then 2 minutes with a stick edger.. i dont charge its included in the price.. if you have to establish a real bad edge mabye a dollar a yard/ .25 a foot

if it isnt too bad and not alot of work.. when people ask me when they see me out cutting and they live on the block.. ill just do it for free..guarantees you a new coustomer when they get too old or just dont feel like doing it anymore

pitrack
09-10-2009, 07:45 PM
if its already established 240 feet would take me less then 2 minutes with a stick edger.. i dont charge its included in the price.. if you have to establish a real bad edge mabye a dollar a yard/ .25 a foot

if it isnt too bad and not alot of work.. when people ask me when they see me out cutting and they live on the block.. ill just do it for free..guarantees you a new coustomer when they get too old or just dont feel like doing it anymore

Agreed.:weightlifter:

Trevor8
09-10-2009, 07:53 PM
i do it free every two weeks

FYS777
09-10-2009, 08:07 PM

I'm LOL ing.. 240 feet is almost a football field lenght, i think if i was 20, 25, i could sprint with my stick edger and do it in one minute thirty seconds. :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: top that.:laugh::laugh:

mdlwn1
09-10-2009, 08:51 PM
do you like your tanaka edger was looking into gettting one.

Depends on what you are edging and how fussy you are. They take a little getting used to. It has prolly 5 times the power of a stick edger, so when guys say "OH it takes me blah blah blah" they really just have no idea. If your the type who can figure out how to "USE" machinery and have a lot of sidewalks to edge...there is nothing that will come close...no matter what some donk will say about his stick edger.

firstchoice1
09-11-2009, 09:10 AM
240 feet for the first time will not take 1 minute 30 secs...... Keep in mind if it hasn't been done in awhile you have to collect a lot of the grass then blow the remaining grass/dirt you couldnt collect. Not to mention if you're going that fast the job is going to look horrible.

FYS777
09-11-2009, 10:22 AM
i was just trying to be funny about the 1 min, 30 sec thing, i think 2 min, was silly with a clean edge. sprint with the stick and sprint with the blower, couldn't do it without looking like that track runner dialing a phone while he was running the 100 m dash, in a t.v. commercial i watched,

I could see it now