PDA

View Full Version : P1596=Speed Control Switch Always High

fixer67
09-06-2009, 09:09 PM
What does this mean? I have a 2001 Dodge Dakota V6. The engie code is P1596 which means Speed Control Switch Always High but waht does that mean. What is a speed switch and where is it and what do I do about it. I have looked all over the net but every site I found just repeat the question but does not answer any thing. I need help.

ericg
09-06-2009, 10:01 PM
Fixer, Code P1596 is "Automatic transmission diagnosis input signal circuit high input." I believe that you may have a problem with the rotating contact under the steering wheel which is a common cause of this problem. This part is called the clock spring contact. There was a recall/service bulletin on this related to the Dakota's back in June 2001. Maybe yours finally gave up. Just a suggestion.

Eric

fixer67
09-06-2009, 10:23 PM
Fixer, Code P1596 is "Automatic transmission diagnosis input signal circuit high input." I believe that you may have a problem with the rotating contact under the steering wheel which is a common cause of this problem. This part is called the clock spring contact. There was a recall/service bulletin on this related to the Dakota's back in June 2001. Maybe yours finally gave up. Just a suggestion.

Eric

Well that explains why my horn stopped working. I had to plug a jumper into the horn reply at the fuse panel and add a remote switch to get my horn to work. That air bag scares me to mess around it. Any idea of the cost to get the rotating contact/the clock spring contact fixed?

ericg
09-06-2009, 10:51 PM
Fixer, the clock spring itself should not be more than $100.00.
Here is a copy of the tech service bulletin. This may be the answer to your horn/trouble code issue. Its hard to diagnose a vehicle over the Internet so I gave you a suggestion that I thought might put you on the right path. Please let me know how you make out.

Eric

Restrorob
09-06-2009, 11:13 PM
Hey Eric,

Make me smart, I got out the auto biz years before all this computer crap came out.

What exactly is the function of this clock spring and what are the effects when it goes bad ?

Thanks

ericg
09-07-2009, 09:13 AM
Rob,the clock spring is used to maintain a continuous electrical circuit between the fixed wire harness on the steering column and several electrical components that rotate with the steering wheel. Those components are the driver's side airbag, the horn switch, and if equipped, the cruise control and the remote radio switches. The clock spring assembly cannot be repaired. If it doesn't work or the airbag has been deployed the clock spring must be replaced. In the older cars, there was a copper ring under the steering wheel with a single copper pin that was attached to the turn signal switch. This gave electrical contact to the horn no matter what position the wheel was in. Today, the steering wheel has so much more on it than a horn button that the single pin would no longer work. This clock spring problem is more of an issue on Chrysler's and dodges for some reason. I have attached a picture of a sample clock spring assembly.

Eric

Restrorob
09-07-2009, 10:29 PM
Thanks Eric,

For some stupid reason I had envisioned some type of fancy spring instead of a multi ringed switch contact plate..... :hammerhead:

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m314/Restrorob/Misc/Springs.jpg

ericg
09-08-2009, 08:26 AM
Rob, sorry if I misled you. Its hard to know what people are familiar with or have had experience with especially when the communication is a forum and not through verbal communication.

Eric

davido30093
09-08-2009, 01:36 PM
For some stupid reason I had envisioned some type of fancy spring instead of a multi ringed switch contact plate

If you took that plastic cover off, you should find something that resembles an older type, wind up, analog clock spring. Hence the name.

ericg
09-12-2009, 04:08 PM
Fixer, how did you make out. Was the clock spring the culprit?

Eric