PDA

View Full Version : 99 Exmark Lazer not holding charge

ALLPro Landscaping
09-06-2009, 11:42 PM
I have a 99 lazer with 5400 hours on it, that's right 5400, well anyways, its not holding a charge, I replaced the battery twice, checked and cleaned all the connections, and still cant figure it out. It has a 23hp kohler engine. I want to check the charging system but I dont know where to begin. Thanks

chesterlawn
09-07-2009, 09:39 AM
Did you chesk the fuse?

ALLPro Landscaping
09-07-2009, 11:51 AM
yes checked all fuses, checked the harness for any shorts, and their is nothing

ALLPro Landscaping
09-07-2009, 11:53 AM
Also ill charge it and it it will hold the charge for about 3 hours of mowing, then in the middle of no where she dies out, if I turn the blades off quick enough then I can still drive it

Sharpcut 1
09-07-2009, 12:36 PM
Little silver box with 3 terminals mounted on black shroud is your voltage regulator. You need 12v to the center(purple) wire with key on. Other 2 wires can be tested with engine running. Take a volt meter set on AC, put the wires across from volt meter to the wires from engine harness(unplugged from regulator). You should get a reading of 40-50 volts AC at full throttle. If not, stator is bad. If you don't get 12v DC to the center wire, you need to see why. If all the above tests are good, voltage regulator is bad. Make sure ground wire from regulator screw goes back to metal., bad ground will not make the voltage regulator work. If stator is bad, sometimes flywheel will also go bad. Magnets will come unglued. It will short out stator if magnets come unglued. Good luck.

PennaLawn
09-11-2009, 09:31 PM
Had similar problem, #1 the magnets on the inside of the flywheel were packed with crud, cleaned and lightly sanded with emery, #2 Stator was disgusting and showed rust and corrosion, again emery paper and 2+2 carb cleaner and air blow gun to clean.....Ditto on what above said about how to test, sometimes cleaning before replacing is the answer, but sometimes not? Hope you figure it out!

ALLPro Landscaping
09-11-2009, 09:48 PM
Thanks guys, Im going to test the voltage meter, If its anything inside the engine it will have to wait till winter

VegetiveSteam
09-13-2009, 05:31 PM
The most common charging problems are no dc voltage from the battery to the center terminal and no ground like Sharp mentioned. If you check for dc voltage at the center terminal on the regulator with the key turned on you should be reading basically battery voltage. Not only does the voltage regulator require about 5.5 volts before it will work, if you're not connected to the battery how can you charge it. So the first test should be for battery voltage with the key turned on at the center terminal on the regulator.

cbegap
09-13-2009, 08:27 PM
I have the exact same problem on another Kohler. The only thing I would add is that you should be getting slightly more that 12V, more like 14V (according to the service manual). Mine is only putting out 10V, which is enough for the motor to run (no battery to charge) but it won't work the relay and engage the clutch.