PDA

View Full Version : New venture and adventure

TriageLawn
09-07-2009, 10:02 AM
I have always love the Lawn and Garden. I remember waking up on Saturday mornings helping my dad cut grass and then taking that long ride across town to cut my grandmothers. Hell, I started cutting grass for extra money when I was about 10 years old and I was known as the neighborhoood LAWN-KID. Those were the good ole days.

My hobby has been noticed by a few people in my subdivision. I was outside aerating my lawn and some guy hit me on they shoulder and said, "You take very good care of your lawn. May I ask your name?". I took off my goggles and extended pleasantries to this unknown man. He said his name was Bob and he was the president of the Homeowner's Association. I smiled and asked if I could help him with anythinng. He began strolling across my lawn and he even bent to grab a chunk of grass. He chuckled and asked, "Did you know you're the talk of the neighborhood and people want to know what you do to keep your yard so perfect and so green"
Well to make this long story short, he wants me to be primary lawn guy of the neighborhood. As we all know, people don't take care of their lawns and HOA has a hard time with these people. They are planning on adding lawn care to their package and they want me to do run the whole thing.

I do this as a hobby and he wants me to do it for biz. What do you think? Should I do it? This happened about 20 minutes ago. Let me give you a break down of the lawns in the neighborhood. I am from Atlanta, GA. All of the lawns are bermuda and they are fairly new lawns. Our houses were built 2006 and some in 2007. Like most neighborhoods, you got some people that really take care of their lawns and some that don't care. They want every yard to look like mine but thats going to take some serious work. What should I do. Should I just start aerating and seeding every yard. What is my approach?

g21
09-07-2009, 09:34 PM
Not sure of your age or career situation but this sounds like a real good opportunity to do something you obviously really enjoy! If it's a sizable association, this can be a real profitable account and be a definate boost into commecial lawn care. A couple of major things you need to consider are: Do you have the capitol to invest in the necessary equipment to get this business up and running quickly? And are you in a position to make a career change this quickly? Many contractors start with a few small accounts and gradually transition themselves out of their old jobs into their new business, first part-time, then full-time as they grow. If this is a fairly large project, you may be thrust into a full-time gig right off the bat!

Having said that, it sounds like aside from really enjoying the work, you are very good at it. If you are the talk of the neighborhood already and you havn't even started...it's likely that you are going to do very well for yourself.

If there is anything I can help you with, please don't hesitate to ask. Keep me in the loop if you can, I'm interested in what you decide and how you do.

Good Luck!
Tommy

Ben's Landscape
09-07-2009, 10:01 PM
I started almost the same way. I would start fresh next summer or this fall. Then i would do everything that you are doing to your lawn to the other peoples lawns. That way there the lawns look just as good if not better than yours. I think that you could have a nice biz in a short amount of time. Simply because of word of mouth. Good luck. Keep us posted. If you have any other questions don't be afraid to ask.

TriageLawn
09-08-2009, 02:42 PM
I am an old man Tommy. I am 37 years old and I have a family. Thats why I am carefully considering the transition. The only thing that really concerns me is that, what if business picks up outside of the subdivision, will I have the time and energy to accept other assignments. I know from common sense that you never turn down a job, especially for a start-up business.

Equipment? I don't have any major equipment. I just have the small stuff that homeowners use. Maybe I will just use what I have and try to get by until I can invest in something else. To answer your question, I do have the capitol to invest but how much do I invest. The basics I know: lawn mower, weed eater or wacker, edger and maybe a blower. This is all I have. I rent the aerator, power rake and overseeder. What do you suggest?

Not sure of your age or career situation but this sounds like a real good opportunity to do something you obviously really enjoy! If it's a sizable association, this can be a real profitable account and be a definate boost into commecial lawn care. A couple of major things you need to consider are: Do you have the capitol to invest in the necessary equipment to get this business up and running quickly? And are you in a position to make a career change this quickly? Many contractors start with a few small accounts and gradually transition themselves out of their old jobs into their new business, first part-time, then full-time as they grow. If this is a fairly large project, you may be thrust into a full-time gig right off the bat!

Having said that, it sounds like aside from really enjoying the work, you are very good at it. If you are the talk of the neighborhood already and you havn't even started...it's likely that you are going to do very well for yourself.

If there is anything I can help you with, please don't hesitate to ask. Keep me in the loop if you can, I'm interested in what you decide and how you do.

Good Luck!
Tommy

TriageLawn
09-08-2009, 02:55 PM
Thank you for the kind words. I will keep everyone posted because this is very exciting for me, considering, I really had no plans to making this a full-time career. I was just thinking yesterday about the way it happened. When he approached me, I immediately thought of the 2 yards I would make out of project. I laught now but when I became involved in my yard project, I would get so upset at the neglected yards in the neighborhood. I would pass by the homes and say, "Come on man, how long does it take to cut and edge the yard"? I even extended my services to an older woman that lives beside me. She would hire someone to cut her grass and thats all he would do. It was butchered beyond belief. So I just decided to treat her yard like my yard. THATS HOW SERIOUS I AM ABOUT LAWN CARE.