PDA

View Full Version : Overseeer or Slit-seeder

TriageLawn
09-07-2009, 12:45 PM
Are these the same or is one different than the other? I have a big job to do and I am confused as to what order to follow. Do I power rake and then aerate or do I aerate and then power rake to break up the cores? I have read so many personal opinions about this....what do you think?

kirk1701
09-07-2009, 03:41 PM
Had the same problem coming to a conclusion myself TriageLawn,

I suggest you take a look at my thread here! (http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=284812)

In my opinion it depends on whether your just over seeding an existing lawn or doing a complete renovation.

If you've killed the lawn off and starting from scratch, by all means your better off with a slit seeder doing the renovation.

If you've just over seeding an existing lawn I've done it both ways, slit seed through it and just spread seed with a spreader and personally I've found existing lawns do better spreading seed with a spreader. Complete renovation do better with a with slit seeder/power rake.

turfcobob
09-08-2009, 12:01 PM
No matter if you are putting the seed down with the seeder or just spreading the seed across the area you need to cut it into the lawn. You can use a verticut or overseeder or slit seeder. These are machines with fixed knife blades not springs or swinging (flail) blades. Springs or flails wil not give you the cut into the soil you need whereas the fixed or knife blades do. 1.5 to 2 inch spacing is best.

It is best to go over the lawn twice at 45 degrees to each other so you are cutting a diamond pattern into the lawn. Cut at least 1/4 inch into the soil so you are moving some soil and leaving a slit (this is where you get the slit seeder name). The lawn should be dry enough that you are making dust. If it is wet it will bring up clumps, not dust. By doing this you are leaving a canopy (covering mat) of grass debris, dirt / dust and seed. When you water this the seed and dirt will wash out to the lowest spots. The Slits and then you have good seed / soil contact. Presto the seed is planted.

Defination:

Slit Seeder, Overseeder:j A machine with fixed blades that has the capability to cut through the thatch layer and into the soil and drop seed at the same time.

Dethatcher: A machine wit flail or spring blades that will hammer the thatch and remove some of it but does not designed to cut into the soil.

Verticut: Like a slit seeder the verticut machines are designed to cut through the thatch and into the soil. They are not able to spread seed so the seed must be spread by another machine.

Turfcobob