PDA

View Full Version : Just overseeded last week, when should I apply lime?

mikecrom83
09-07-2009, 03:50 PM
PH is about a point to a point and a half low. I just overseeded last week. When is it ok to lime?

93Chevy
09-07-2009, 03:52 PM
It's always okay to lime! It'll never hurt the grass. A lot of people around here lime in mid fall, just before the grass goes dormant.

mikecrom83
09-07-2009, 03:55 PM
It's always okay to lime! It'll never hurt the grass. A lot of people around here lime in mid fall, just before the grass goes dormant.

I didn't want to go out stomping around on the new grass, should I wait a couple weeks for germination?

93Chevy
09-07-2009, 04:03 PM
Yeah, you can do that. All I'm saying is lime doesn't matter. I always put it down with the seed. You can wait a few weeks if you want until the lawn is established.

mikecrom83
09-07-2009, 04:15 PM
Thanks alot!

gulfjoe
09-07-2009, 05:45 PM
How do you know when to apply lime? PH test of the soil? are the store testers reliable?

93Chevy
09-07-2009, 05:49 PM
Generally, without a soul test, one 40 pound bag of pelletized dolomitic lime should be applied to every 1000 sq. ft.

A reliable soil test, generally the kind you mail to an institution, should, in most cases, provide you with a PH number, and a recommended application rate. If the PH is very low, then you may need up to a few hundred pounds per 1k sq ft.

And the general rule is, if you have moss, you need lime.

mikecrom83
09-07-2009, 06:13 PM
How do you know when to apply lime? PH test of the soil? are the store testers reliable?

I had a soil test and was at 5.10, I was recommended to be between 6.0-7.0. I was told to put down 20 pounds per k. You should always get a soil test before any maintenance...it is very useful and cheap!

phasthound
09-07-2009, 06:24 PM
Generally, without a soul test, one 40 pound bag of pelletized dolomitic lime should be applied to every 1000 sq. ft.

A reliable soil test, generally the kind you mail to an institution, should, in most cases, provide you with a PH number, and a recommended application rate. If the PH is very low, then you may need up to a few hundred pounds per 1k sq ft.

And the general rule is, if you have moss, you need lime.

Generally, without a soil test, apply nothing. You need to know where you stand. Also dolomitic lime may not be the best choice depending upon the calcium to magnesium ratio. Usually in the east, a high calcium lime is recommended.

93Chevy
09-07-2009, 09:42 PM
Generally, without a soil test, apply nothing. You need to know where you stand. Also dolomitic lime may not be the best choice depending upon the calcium to magnesium ratio. Usually in the east, a high calcium lime is recommended.

That's true, I may have incorrectly specified dolomite.