PDA

View Full Version : Starting out

mattman683
09-07-2009, 05:15 PM
Hi, i've been cutting grass on a farm for the past 2 years on an Exmark lazer z. Now I am starting up a lawn care company for next year. I have some very nice brochures and business cards and other advertising items. Now here is my problem! I'm having trouble getting people to sign up!!! I've gone door to door but most people already have someone they use. What's the secret?!?!?

Any input would be great!!!

Thanks!
Matt

STIHL GUY
09-07-2009, 05:31 PM
get your name out there and make sure you always leave a property looking great. a lot of busisness comes from word of mouth

hockeypro1411
09-07-2009, 06:35 PM
I think your problem is that you're in Ohio and trying to get customers in September. Typically most people don't want the hassle of getting rid of the old guy and hiring a new one this late in the season. Really hit the advertising hard in the spring.

Mowbizz
09-07-2009, 06:35 PM
Hi, i've been cutting grass on a farm for the past 2 years on an Exmark lazer z. Now I am starting up a lawn care company for next year. I have some very nice brochures and business cards and other advertising items. Now here is my problem! I'm having trouble getting people to sign up!!! I've gone door to door but most people already have someone they use. What's the secret?!?!?

Any input would be great!!!

Thanks!
Matt

You will need to advertise in a local paper...or leave cards or brochures on mailboxes or door handles...there is a pretty big turn around in this business and you will get calls, eventually....
There's always someone looking for a bargain or a better service...some are unhappy with their present service and will make the jump. Usually it's better to hit the advertising hard in early spring...that's when people are "starting" to think about their lawns (in the Northeast anyway).
Target neighborhoods where you'd like to use your style of mowing...small postage stamp properties or larger richer developments...lots of companies target the "mow and go" smaller properties and use "quantity" to make their income...it's all in the time spent on each property that will determine your rates and services. But staring this time of year advertise for FALL CLEANUPS and look to expand that into next season's mowing by leaving the customer with your brochure...give them an incentive to sign with you for the 2010 season by giving a discount or a free introductory mow if they sign now. It may take some time but work at it and something will take shape...good luck! :drinkup:

mowerbrad
09-07-2009, 07:17 PM
At this point in the season, you probably won't get any weekly customers, maybe a couple cleanup jobs though. What you need to do is hit the advertising hard early in the spring. At the end of winter start putting ads in your local paper and passing out flyers. And continue the advertising through the spring. That should get you some accounts. Then from there, do a good job on all your accounts and hope that you get some good word of mouth advertising. Do a little advertising throughout the season, and you should be gaining plenty of accounts. And by next year you should have a little better economy to work in.

mattman683
09-07-2009, 08:01 PM
Thanks for the advice! I was also thinking it may be better to cut larger properties? Like businesses.

SLMGT
09-08-2009, 09:59 PM
The more effort you put into building a business the more your business will grow. After a period of time (varies), your growth will be on auto pilot as the more work you do, the more people who will see your work and ask for your help. Slow quality growth is safer than rapid growth that you can't control and stay on top of.

GrassIsGreenerLawnCare
03-02-2010, 02:06 AM
thamks for the advertising tips...just starting myself and have gained accounts ONLY from word of mouth from the cleanups ive done a good job on...eventually i hope to have accounts in more of the "same area" neighborhoods so i dont have to drive around everywhere

Merkava_4
03-02-2010, 05:20 AM
give them an incentive to sign with you for the 2010 season by giving a discount or a free introductory mow if they sign now. It may take some time but work at it and something will take shape...good luck! :drinkup:

This may be a dumb question, but what are they signing, a contract? :confused: