PDA

View Full Version : Estimates

TaketheMoneyandRun
09-07-2009, 05:27 PM
Sorry if this topic has already been discussed.

Am new to the lawn care business. Wanted to see what the going rate for a 1/4 acre of land is(here in Nassau County NY many properties are significantly smaller unusual to have anything larger then 3/4 acre). Also is it unheard of to charge by the hour.

mowerbrad
09-07-2009, 07:24 PM
For typical mowing, charging by the hour is not very common at all. Just price by the job for mowing. I can't speak for the price in your location but your price shouldn't be based off of what others charge. It needs to be based on your expenses and what you want to profit. But to give you an idea, most of my residentials that are around that size are between $25-$30 depending on location.

jada86
09-09-2009, 06:12 AM
For typical mowing, charging by the hour is not very common at all. Just price by the job for mowing. I can't speak for the price in your location but your price shouldn't be based off of what others charge. It needs to be based on your expenses and what you want to profit. But to give you an idea, most of my residentials that are around that size are between $25-$30 depending on location.

Mowerbrad is right. You need to figure out an hourly rate you need to get to profit. A per man hour rate. Then consider what other accounts are close or in same neighborhood. If they are closer, you can cut back some and only you can decide how much.

deitleman
09-09-2009, 02:13 PM
Hi- I'm also new to the business side of things. Would you follow that formula when figuring out larger properties ($25/ 1/4 acre)? $100/ 1 acre lawn (mow and trim)?

Wayne's Lawn Service
09-09-2009, 09:29 PM
Everyone is trying to tell you right. It doesn't matter what the"going rate" is because the going rate put mowing contractors out of business everyday.

I tried that method for nine years and found myself almost 90k in debt and thinking I was going to fix it with more work. Then I decided to fix my real problem. I had no idea why I charged what I charged other than that's what I thought the market would bear, that's what my competition was charging it must be right.

I developed a bidding system that works in Microsoft excel that calculates your costs per hour of operation for your company based on your overhead and expenses. Then you can add what the market will bear in your area. However, you will not under-sell your services again.

The Cd is called Know why charge what you charge. It is simple, accurate and professional. A bidding and contracts manual goes along with it. Feel free to give us a call at 800-845-0499 or visit www.profitsareus.com products available page. We also offer a bidding package that includes four manuals and the Know why CD at a discounted price for lawnsite members. Mention this post when you call.

BMFGC
09-09-2009, 09:40 PM
I'll tell you this, you should really consider what Wayne's Lawn is telling you. I have used Profits Unlimited's products in the past and it is EASY but best of all ACCURATE! The imformation will get you going on the right track from the beginning. If you are serious about being successful in this industry their products will save you A LOT of time and MONEY!

Wayne's Lawn Service
09-10-2009, 08:39 AM
BMFGC,
Thanks for your comments. Just like with the lawn service, it is always nice to hear positive feedback from your clients. If I can help you with anything in the future, let me know. Let it snow! Don't forget about our snow & ice management bidding package.

Hope you have a great year.

BeSeenGraphics
09-10-2009, 08:56 AM
First off...welcome to the site! As you can see, there are some very helpful people here. Thousands literally. Ever need any of my services...feel free to hit me up.

deitleman
09-10-2009, 08:59 AM
Thanks guys. I will definitely call the number, and get started.