PDA

View Full Version : Toro interlock module (older unit)?

Cleve
09-07-2009, 07:31 PM
I have a Toro walk behind 36" unit. I also have a Walker diesel and a Bush Hog zero turn.
I actually like to mow with the Toro unit because of the way it cuts. It is the T-Bar steering unit.
Trouble is, this mower has a safety interlock module that keeps the mower from starting if the blade clutch is engaged. There are no other safety intrlocks on the machine at all. No operator presence switches or anything else. This module has failed multiple times. When it fails I can unplug one of the electrical connections and the motor starts fine. After starting I can plug the connector back in and the mower works fine.
This module has to be ordered and is over $60. Just stupid.
Anybody know of any way to wire around this module?
Thanks in advance.
Cleve....

Restrorob
09-07-2009, 09:12 PM
Post the engine model AND spec/type numbers and someone just may know how to get around it.

pugs
09-07-2009, 11:19 PM
Post the model of the machine. I doubt any machine would come with that and not include an operator presence system.

You should be able to get a wiring diagram from Toro with the model number...that will help you to do any custom wiring you may want. As Rob said, you will probably be on your own for that part of it. If you want help restoring it to original I am happy to help you with that.

Cleve
09-08-2009, 11:53 AM
Thanks, and yes,, that is the only interlock.
This machine is probably about a 1990 model. I believe the next year's model started having the additional safety interlocks.
The traction unit is a model #30114 with a Kohler Command 14 engine.
I'm going to try and post a picture of the machine along with a wiring diagram. I purchased it new and have tried to take care of it over the years. Probably has only a few hundred hours on it. Ended up getting used only at home most of the time.
I treid to rotate the picture of the wiring but failed. The Kohler part no. for the module is 77-4990 and it has four wires.
Cleve

Restrorob
09-08-2009, 12:20 PM
Looks like all you have to do is remove the red wire from the module at the ignition switch, This should dis-arm the system.