PDA

View Full Version : Crabgrass & Lespedeza assult

Gashmore
09-08-2009, 02:54 PM
I have taken over about 3 acres of neglected lawn in middle GA. Mostly centipede with some St. Augustine in shadier areas. Both established 40+ years ago and little more than hit and miss mowed for the last 20 years. Soil is a thin layer of loam over clay. PH ranges from 4.8 to 6. No major thatch or insect problems. Very litle irrigation over the years. Large number of camellias and antique shrubs surround and spotted throughout the lawn area.

The more public areas (around the pool)are in good shape but the majority has been invaded by southern crabgrass and lespedeza with a spattering of miscellaneous broadleafs. Also some pretty bad compaction in areas and some moss in the low PH areas. Sprayed 3-way in July which knocked back some of the miscellaneous weeds but did nothing for the crabgrass or lespedeza. Resprayed with atrazine 4L which got about 60% of the lespedeza and am spotting the crabgrass with Glyphosate. I also expect a fair number of winter annuals come Fall so I am trying to set up a long term plan. Here is what I am thinking. Somebody please give me a critique.

Lime to bring the PH up to 5.8-6.
Respray the atrizine in mid October to get some of the winter annuals.
Aeriate the hard spots in early February when the grouind is a bit softer.
Spray Prodiamine (Barricade) 65 WDG when the ground temps break about 50F to block the crabgrass. (generally late February)
Followup with Atrizine after green up to catch the Lespedeza.
Final spray of Prodiamine in late May/June to catch the late crabgrass.