PDA

View Full Version : Bees

CelticKY
09-08-2009, 05:13 PM
Need to get rid of some ground bees. I have used a whole can of wasp/hornet spray and it only killed the ones that got sprayed directly. Also I'm allergic so i need them gone without have much close in contact. Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Ryan

frotis
09-08-2009, 05:30 PM
Borax or Boric Acid powder down the hole, they will get it on themselves and kill the entire colony. Only takes a few bees with the powder on them to kill the entire colony.

CelticKY
09-08-2009, 05:35 PM
Thanks I'll give it a try.
Ryan

razor1
09-08-2009, 05:46 PM
This isn't your traditional remedy but a little gas will do the trick too.

93Chevy
09-08-2009, 06:04 PM
What kind of "bees" are they?

RigglePLC
09-08-2009, 07:58 PM
Yellow jackets typically nest in the ground. Very active at this time of year. Seek sugar and various picnic supplies. Our local entomologist, Dr Smitley, suggests drop a half paper cup full of sevin dust into the hole and near the hole at the "landing zone" for the buggers. Do this at night when it is cool. They get the dust on their bodies and contaminate the rest of the nest. Better yet --if you are allergic--play it safe; get someone else to do it. This type of hornet dies at hard frost.

AmGreen
09-10-2009, 08:54 AM
http://www.walterreeves.com/insects_animals/article.phtml?cat=21&id=452
(^best quick reference I could find)
It's not a yellow jacket, looks more like a honey bee and is not aggressive. If you must kill it, try Bifenthrin - had good results with it this spring.

foreplease
09-10-2009, 05:38 PM
Good advice above. If you must go the fuel route at least use Diesel-it won't explode when you light it.

EVM
09-10-2009, 08:18 PM
Don't kill the bees dude.

CelticKY
09-11-2009, 10:17 AM
These are not the ground bees suggested in the link from Walter Reeves. This is a nest with hundreds of bees going in and out. It is in my backyard and I have smaill kids and I myself am allergic so I am going to kill them. I will try the chemicals suggested and let you knoe what works. I appreciate the input.
Thanks,
Ryan

93Chevy
09-11-2009, 11:45 PM
Could you take a pic so we can tell what kind of nest it is?

bx24
09-12-2009, 09:32 PM
Yellow jackets typically nest in the ground. Very active at this time of year. Seek sugar and various picnic supplies. Our local entomologist, Dr Smitley, suggests drop a half paper cup full of sevin dust into the hole and near the hole at the "landing zone" for the buggers. Do this at night when it is cool. They get the dust on their bodies and contaminate the rest of the nest. Better yet --if you are allergic--play it safe; get someone else to do it. This type of hornet dies at hard frost.

I learned that trick years ago from a family member that was an exterminador. He said use a duster etc and be fine..Problem is 3 lbs of Sevin dust latter! LOL

Hundreds of bees 2 ft away could not walk out the 2 ft....:rolleyes::rolleyes:

frotis
09-13-2009, 12:44 AM
Hundreds of bees 2 ft away could not walk out the 2 ft....:rolleyes::rolleyes:

what? :confused:

bx24
09-13-2009, 02:52 PM
what? :confused:

I had a nest in my fireplace (Nat gas)..So I opened the vent (outside) and saw them all over walking..So I sprayed some Sevin dust all over and they could not walk over to the opening and fly out..By the time then walked from the far to opening, they died..