PDA

View Full Version : Screening/Privicy plants

12Valve
09-09-2009, 02:08 AM
Got a lady that wants some screening plants other than leyland cypress or emerald arbs. Suggests some big nelly stevens holly's but she doesn't have the $$$ for them. Any other suggestions???

AGLA
09-09-2009, 08:17 AM
Most broadleaf evergreens, like holly, are costly for large screening and are not fast growing. A lot of the needle-leaf evergreens are going to get wide at the bottom and need full sun.

The first thing that she should determine is whether or not she needs year 'round foliage because she can get a lot more bang for the buck with deciduous plants like privet for a hedge, or mixing shrubs with some good screening trees such as clump river birch if she needs high screening.

ron mexico75
09-09-2009, 08:35 AM
There are various types of Cryptomeria (Japanese Cedar) that are very nice. Similar to an arborvitae and cypress as far as usefulness as screening. Much nicer though.

Could also use English Laurel or even Bayberry which is very fast growing. Maybe Chinese Photinia which has larger leaves then the red tips and isn't susceptible to the fungus that has been killing off the red tips.

tinye
09-09-2009, 12:27 PM
try arb 'green giants' same price as lelands, doesnt get the bagworms that they do and are deer resistant ...more cone shaped and narrower than lelands but get the same ht.

Dieselnut
09-20-2009, 10:49 PM
I have a friend in SC who has ligustrum mixed in with some tea olives as a privacy screen

johnsonslawnmanagement
09-23-2009, 07:30 PM
Waxleaf ligustrum, wax myrtle, ealiagnus, and osmanthus(tea olive) are several that I use often.
Posted via Mobile Device

Dieselnut
09-23-2009, 08:24 PM
Dont wax myrtles look sortive bare in the winter?

johnsonslawnmanagement
09-23-2009, 10:27 PM
Not here in north Mississippi. Wax ligustrum and wax myrtle are two of the most vigorous growing screening plants locally. Others climates might be different , but no defoliation here.
Posted via Mobile Device

ron mexico75
09-28-2009, 10:48 AM
Dont wax myrtles look sortive bare in the winter?

Kind of, it depends on how far south you are. Here in VA they kind of thin out and turn a semi bronze color. Very fast growing though.

Ligustrum freaking STINKS!!!!! in the spring when it blooms, surprised nobody mentioned that.

I agree that illiagnus is a very good screening plant. Think and fast growing. It's a pain if you want it to look like it's kept though. You''ll have to be trimming it at least twice a month. If not and it's going to grow wild and have a natural look, then I would say go for it.

johnsonslawnmanagement
10-11-2009, 10:29 PM
Ron,
Ligustrum has a fragrance much like a Gardenia. Smells very plesant if you ask me.
Posted via Mobile Device

FIREPLUG1111
10-14-2009, 08:09 PM
DUDE use PRIVET HEDGE.. I have it and it grows at an extremly fast rate, up to 15 feet tall. Looks just like a solid green wall.... I got mine on E bay 300 plants was like 75 bucks. they came with no dirt just the plant and roots. Stick them inthe dirt and water...... Mine started out at about 8 inches tall and are now about 2 feet. just 4 months worth.

johnsonslawnmanagement
10-14-2009, 10:58 PM
Privet defoliates in the fall almost cometely, then flushes out really thick in the spring.
Posted via Mobile Device

mdlwn1
10-15-2009, 12:17 AM
try arb 'green giants' same price as lelands, doesnt get the bagworms that they do and are deer resistant ...more cone shaped and narrower than lelands but get the same ht.

Problem is these look similar to emeralds..only much crappier...and they grow REALLY tall fast.

cpa4t9r
10-15-2009, 11:50 AM
Privet is invasive but grows like crazy and easy to trim albeit frequently. Does defoliate around here.

Wax myrtle gets my vote but have used ligustrum too.

land_scaper70
10-16-2009, 08:56 AM
Here in the north, Yankee country, I like the Burning Bush (Euonymus alata "Compactus"). It is less invasive than the Privet, which makes it more manageable, the fall color is really a stand out to whatever work you have done, and the berries add color and feed the birdies in the winter. Though, I am unaware of your seasonal change, and if it is something that would work for the south. I also like any variety of box woods.

johnsonslawnmanagement
10-16-2009, 09:00 AM
ha ha, yes burning bush too defoliates after it's fall show.
Posted via Mobile Device

Lite4
10-17-2009, 09:09 AM
Use Phylostachys 'vivax' or 'spectabilis' . You will need a root guard for these but they grow in extremely thick, are very beautiful and best of all, down to zone 5/6 will remain evergreen. Time to get away from the "norm". Try it, you and your client won't be dissapointed.