PDA

View Full Version : Acquiring new customers

lawnworker
09-09-2009, 07:15 AM
I am wondering how hard it has been to acquire new customers this year in this recession. I let my customer count shrink and have not really tried all that hard to attain more. Last year I took a part time job and have started going to college to become a teacher. The teaching program will be five classes in the spring, five in following fall, and student teaching in the next Spring. With the economy, there is no guarantee of landing a job as a teacher. I am really torn between dropping out of this college and trying to grow my customer list. The mowing is something I have always done and in a average economy I can usually add some customers to the schedule. Which means some money no matter what.

whosedog
09-09-2009, 08:18 AM
Stay in school get your teaching certificate; the economy will improve and even if you don't land a fulltime teaching position you could go on the substitute list for several towns, until you land your fulltime position. First year new teachers in my town start at 45g plus incredible pension and benefits. If you go to grad school and get your masters while employed they will reimburse you for tuition and give you 8g more.Right now after you final step on the salary guide (15 years) you would be making $95,000 for working 9 months per year plus full medical dental and state pension.Listen to Obama stay in school;keep your lawn bis. on the side.

GraZHopA
09-09-2009, 08:45 AM
Stay in school get your teaching certificate; the economy will improve and even if you don't land a fulltime teaching position you could go on the substitute list for several towns, until you land your fulltime position. First year new teachers in my town start at 45g plus incredible pension and benefits. If you go to grad school and get your masters while employed they will reimburse you for tuition and give you 8g more.Right now after you final step on the salary guide (15 years) you would be making $95,000 for working 9 months per year plus full medical dental and state pension.Listen to Obama stay in school;keep your lawn bis. on the side.

Heed the words of wisdom! Stay in school, no one can take your education away from you!

MOturkey
09-09-2009, 10:06 AM

What he said. Kick my arse every day for not completing my college education. You might still end up building a lawncare business, but having an education gives you choices, something you won't have without one. Good luck. Neill

deco dude
09-09-2009, 11:03 AM
Listen to a recently retired college prof.--I have had some variation of this discussion with hundreds, probably thousands of college kids over 33 years of teaching. Often it's with students who dropped out short of graduation, then made the effort to come back and finish, usually after several years in the world. I've never yet had one express regret at sticking it out and finishing. Sometimes they tell me that they had little choice in their decision to drop out, but (at least after some time has passed) they wish they had gotten that degree. Sometimes it's even their parents who dropped out and express regret at not finishing after all those years.

I suppose that there are some who have dropped out and are happy as clams, and I just haven't talked with them. But I think I would have run into at least one.

And, I do agree firmly with the above poster that, even if you stick with your business and grow it into a major operation (and never actually use your degree to direct advantage), you will be glad you got it. I have a masters degree in English lit that I got after I obtained my position teaching (which is unusual because I had a terminal degree in another discipline). It's given me absolutely no tangible advantage professionally, but I do feel enriched personally for having it.

It probably seems daunting to finish those three semesters, but you've already hung in for at least five. Besides, what are you going to tell your future kids when they say, "Why should I finish? You didn't."

lawnworker
09-09-2009, 02:15 PM
Thanks for every ones replies I would like to add that i am amost fortyfive years old and married with a daughter, and going back to school has been very stressful. I really think this would be a no brainer if I was younger and without a family and all lifes responsibilies. In the past I was up to about 26 customers and I had a lot of free time to do fun things in the mowing season. It is easy to think of going back to that life, if the market is there to build up next year.