PDA

View Full Version : choosing a walker or rider

jwalls
09-09-2009, 04:08 PM
I have been mowing grass with a buddy of mine for a few seasons now for extra income and he has 125 weekly lawn accounts and wants to sell me some (30). I told him I would take them starting next spring. The thing I am trying to decide is whether to go with a rider or walker. The yards are all approx 1/2 acre give or take and level. I was at my local dealer who sells exmark and scag. He told me I could buy 2 belt driven 48" exmark walkers for the price of 1 lazer z 60". With me new to doing this just wanted a couple opinons. Thanks for imput

mowerbrad
09-09-2009, 05:07 PM
Alot of it will depend on how open these accounts are. If they don't have many obsticles, then a 60" shouldn't be a problem. But if there are alot of obsticles or fences to get through you might just want to go with a walk behind or two. However, I would look into the hydro walk-behinds rather than the gear.

Something else to consider, if you are going to bag alot, then a rider might be a little better choice.

GraZHopA
09-09-2009, 05:49 PM
I have been mowing grass with a buddy of mine for a few seasons now for extra income
What do you usually mow with? I would think that, if you are already use to a certain type mower and it works for your buddy's business, it should also work for your business.

metro36
09-09-2009, 05:55 PM
I would go with a hydro walkbehind. They are a more flexible machine in my opinion. They are easier to operate in tight spaces than a 60" rider would be. Also if hills are an issue a walkbehind can handle a hill much better than a rider. You can add a sulky or proslide to a hydro walkbehind to increase productivity if you wanted. Later n if you decide to get a rider you can keep the walkbehind as backup and for small yards. If you are set on exmark then you shoud look at the 48" turf traser hp. It very good machine.

Just so you know a machine that you walk behind is refered to as a walk behind. A walker is a brand that makes ride on front mount mowers.

mowerbrad
09-09-2009, 05:59 PM
Actually you may want to look into a stander. You'll have the speed of a ztr and the manuverability of a wb. A John Deere stander will be my next mower late next year.