PDA

View Full Version : New Mower Blades

MDLawn
09-09-2009, 07:31 PM
Sorry if this question has been asked at one point or another. When you guys get new mower blades do you sharpen them before putting them on? They look a little dull to me and just wanted to see what everyone else does.

Thanks guys!

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE
09-09-2009, 07:36 PM
I do, razor sharp.....

Mowbizz
09-10-2009, 12:07 AM
Sorry if this question has been asked at one point or another. When you guys get new mower blades do you sharpen them before putting them on? They look a little dull to me and just wanted to see what everyone else does.

Thanks guys!

the answer is no

esparzalandscaping
09-10-2009, 12:19 AM
depends on the manufacturer of the blade... for example, Stens blades for come pre sharpened but Oregon blades don't...

Bob_n_weave
09-10-2009, 01:18 AM
I do not sharpen new blades. I do check the balance.

AmGreen
09-10-2009, 01:31 AM
why would you? a razor sharp blade will dull much faster than one with a small flat area at the cutting point. call the manufacturer and ask them...i'm sure they know.
Posted via Mobile Device

tacoma200
09-10-2009, 01:36 AM
Nada cuts great out of the box

Oregon OEP
09-10-2009, 02:06 PM
why would you? a razor sharp blade will dull much faster than one with a small flat area at the cutting point. call the manufacturer and ask them...i'm sure they know.
Posted via Mobile Device

Our blades are milled to approximately a .030" thick cutting edge(without paint). The paint does add to the edge but wears off quickly. The razor sharp edge does tend to curl under quicker and give a dull rounded edge much sooner than the "thicker" edge.

MDLawn
09-10-2009, 05:52 PM
Our blades are milled to approximately a .030" thick cutting edge(without paint). The paint does add to the edge but wears off quickly. The razor sharp edge does tend to curl under quicker and give a dull rounded edge much sooner than the "thicker" edge.

I did buy Oregon blades so your suggestion is to just use them and let the paint wear off?

Thanks

Oregon OEP
09-10-2009, 06:18 PM
That is what we suggest but some will take the paint off the milled edge before they use the blade.

asps4u
09-10-2009, 06:25 PM
nope...put them on and cut

Ruben Rocha
09-10-2009, 06:32 PM
Most all new blades are out of balance so I sharpen them just to get them true to balance.
As far as razor sharp. It is just like a knife. If you take it to a supersharp edge then the blade just dulls that much faster.
Yes it seems to perform better for bahia but then you need to sharpen more often.
So the in between is to sharpen to the same angle and sharpness as original. It will last longer on the mower before you need to take it off again.

Two Seasons
09-10-2009, 07:35 PM
75% of the blades I've bought needed to be balanced out of the box.

When you balance ,obviously, you are sharpening too!

I've spent way too much on equipment not to take care of it.

Trevor8
09-10-2009, 07:50 PM
never sharpen new blades :nono: period that is it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :usflag::usflag::usflag::usflag::usflag::usflag::usflag::usflag::usflag::usflag::usflag::usflag: I love the USA :canadaflag: and canada but USA more

Ruben Rocha
09-10-2009, 07:54 PM
never sharpen new blades :nono: period that is it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :usflag::usflag::usflag::usflag::usflag::usflag::usflag::usflag::usflag::usflag::usflag::usflag: I love the USA :canadaflag: and canada but USA more
Okay that is your opinion. Which is different from me.

STIHL GUY
09-11-2009, 12:19 AM
i check and make sure thay are properly ballanced but i do not sharpen new blades before using them

Runner
09-11-2009, 12:46 PM
All my blades get sharpened and balanced. They get sharpened to a near razor's edge too,but they don't dull fast or even get as dull as a new blade comes. I don't know what you guys cut (actually I do), but here, are grass is nice, soft, and cool. The only way you're going to dull a blade out like in 8 to 10 hours time is to run it over cement, gravel, or alot of sand.