PDA

View Full Version : need some input on a bid please

pdenney11
09-09-2009, 07:32 PM
I got a call today about a 9 acre mobile home park that needs mowed and trimmed 3 times a month (NO EDGING). I guess I always overbid these larger properties because I have never won a bid for a property this size so I guess im doing something wrong. I will be doing this property solo and Im guessing it will take me 4-5hrs. The grass isnt very thick so I should be able to move through the mowing portion quickly. There is a ditch on the west side of the property that will take a while to weedeat though. If you guys could just give me a ballpark figure on a reasonable amount to charge for this property that would be great. Thanks guys

mowerbrad
09-09-2009, 08:28 PM
No offense to anyone that does live in a mobile home park but usually there is always a bunch of "crap" around the homes there. So you most likely will have to stop often to move something or throw something away. I wouldn't even bid on that myself, but that is just me.

borwicks
09-09-2009, 08:33 PM
9 acres..wow..4-5 man hours..thats low..I counted at least 22 buildings.. if you get out of there in 7-8 your lucky. We have a 1.25 acre house and shed. Takes 1.25 hours to mow and trim. We have a 4 acre lot that is just mow, several trees, 1 building and parking lot it takes 90 minutes to do.

borwicks
09-09-2009, 08:35 PM
I would bid 8 hours @35. $280 and get a helper. The rate Ive ran up against here is $18-55 per man hour. If you really want it. If not bid higher.

dave k
09-09-2009, 08:59 PM
No offense to anyone that does live in a mobile home park but usually there is always a bunch of "crap" around the homes there. So you most likely will have to stop often to move something or throw something away. I wouldn't even bid on that myself, but that is just me.
Ain't that the truth

pdenney11
09-09-2009, 10:09 PM

Thats kind of what I was thinking too. I went and looked at it though and it might be the cleanest mobile home park ive ever seen. If there was crap all over the place I wouldnt even consider because once im on that mower I dont want to get off.

mowerbrad
09-09-2009, 10:14 PM
Thats kind of what I was thinking too. I went and looked at it though and it might be the cleanest mobile home park ive ever seen. If there was crap all over the place I wouldnt even consider because once im on that mower I dont want to get off.

I'm shocked that it actually looks clean. That must be the only one in the US.

pdenney11
09-09-2009, 10:17 PM
9 acres..wow..4-5 man hours..thats low..I counted at least 22 buildings.. if you get out of there in 7-8 your lucky. We have a 1.25 acre house and shed. Takes 1.25 hours to mow and trim. We have a 4 acre lot that is just mow, several trees, 1 building and parking lot it takes 90 minutes to do.

Wow! I guess im a little off on my time estimation. Thanks for the good info. That will certainly change my bid. I guess I think im quicker then I really am.

pdenney11
09-09-2009, 10:22 PM
I'm shocked that it actually looks clean. That must be the only one in the US.

I was too. The only reason I can come up with to why it is a clean one is because it's off a very busy main road and 2 blocks from a private school.

MOturkey
09-09-2009, 10:23 PM
I've never done a property anything like that size, but I agree that you are way short on the time required. I realize that it isn't 9 acres of grass, but 9 acres of grass with no buildings would be much quicker to mow. Even at 30 minutes per acre, which I don't think you can possibly do, it would take 4 1/2 hours. Say 25 main structures (looks like several smaller storage buildings as well) @ 5 minutes per, would be over 2 hours of trimming. Then you mentioned a ditch we can't see in the photo.

I think Borwicks was closer with the 8 hour extimate I'd figure at least that many hours, and, remember, if you are working solo, your hiney is going to be dragging the furrow shut by the time you get done. No resting a little while you drive to the next account. Good luck with the bid.

MOturkey
09-09-2009, 10:30 PM
One more thought. I'm not trying to discourage you from bidding, just pointing out something. A property that requires basically one whole day to service is going to be hard to catch up on if you have some rainy weather. You can always run out and mow two or three little ones in the afternoon after a rainstorm, but you'd have to make multiple trips here if your day was interrupted.

Also, unless you really need the business, I'd look at how much you could make in an 8 hour day mowing normal sized properties in your area.

One possibility is, that if you happen to be friends with another LCO in the area, you might coop on this one. That way, if you got behind, there would be two of you working it. Just my thoughts.

pdenney11
09-09-2009, 11:21 PM
One more thought. I'm not trying to discourage you from bidding, just pointing out something. A property that requires basically one whole day to service is going to be hard to catch up on if you have some rainy weather. You can always run out and mow two or three little ones in the afternoon after a rainstorm, but you'd have to make multiple trips here if your day was interrupted.

Also, unless you really need the business, I'd look at how much you could make in an 8 hour day mowing normal sized properties in your area.

One possibility is, that if you happen to be friends with another LCO in the area, you might coop on this one. That way, if you got behind, there would be two of you working it. Just my thoughts.

Yeah I totally agree. Unfortunately this year has been pretty much horrible as far as new accounts and profit. This account could lead to alot of other properties that the owner has which sounds great since I am still trying to grow my business. I would much rather work a 8 hour day mowing normal sized yards but the accounts just arent coming this year.

pdenney11
09-09-2009, 11:36 PM
My part time helper decided he would be able to help me take care of this property if I get it so now I can factor for two of us working on the account. I will mow while he trims.

pdenney11
09-10-2009, 10:23 AM
I bid the job at 50/hr. At 8 hrs to do the job. He accepted so I'm looking at 400$ per cut on the property with 2 workers.
Posted via Mobile Device

capelawncare.com
09-10-2009, 10:34 AM
I think you would need at least 2 guys trimming, (particularly if that ditch you mention, needs to trimmed) and at least one guy mowing of you want to be done in 4-5 hours.

Prestige Lawns
09-10-2009, 12:40 PM
I bid the job at 50/hr. At 8 hrs to do the job. He accepted so I'm looking at 400$ per cut on the property with 2 workers.
Posted via Mobile Device

Cool, let us know how it works out for you.

pdenney11
09-10-2009, 01:47 PM
Cool, let us know how it works out for you.

Will do. Thanks for the help everyone.
Posted via Mobile Device

borwicks
09-10-2009, 11:08 PM
Good job. Hope it works out for everyone. Just get a contract signed.

pdenney11
09-10-2009, 11:46 PM
Good job. Hope it works out for everyone. Just get a contract signed.

Yeah I will for sure have a contract signed. I doubt it will matter though since the owner is a lawyer and I am sure he could rip my contract apart with errors to benifit him if he wanted to.

lawnkingforever
09-11-2009, 12:21 AM
I have had many opportunities to bid on ballfields, apartment complexes and other commercial properties through personal contacts. But being a solo operator, pretty much shuts me out of that part of the game. Like MOturkey said, a couple of rainouts would lead to disaster.

pdenney11
09-11-2009, 11:03 AM
I have had many opportunities to bid on ballfields, apartment complexes and other commercial properties through personal contacts. But being a solo operator, pretty much shuts me out of that part of the game. Like MOturkey said, a couple of rainouts would lead to disaster.

You are exactly right. If I get a few contracted accts like this then I will hire helpers and more then likely another mower. I just want to get the work first though. The only reason I mess with doing it solo is because I don't have enough work to justify having anyone hired on yet. My goal isn't to get huge and have 2 or 3 crews running around, but I would rather just have enough work to keep me and 1 or 2 full time workers busy.
Posted via Mobile Device