PDA

View Full Version : Sweegums in small planters

maxwilbryan
09-09-2009, 08:50 PM
I Installed a few 2" Slender Shiloette sweetgums at a clients house. They were in plantersraised about 3ft tall. There is maybe 3ft from front of planter to house. He had an architect design it. I tried to talk him out of it. I was worried they would bust the block planters in time. Now I'm thinking they will probably just die in the winter bc of no insulation. Talk to me people. I may just have him check this thread. Zone 6b 7a
Posted via Mobile Device

Tyler7692
09-09-2009, 09:29 PM
They need to be in the ground. Period.

JNyz
09-10-2009, 08:08 AM
If they don't make it just blame the architect. I have this issue all the time with architects not putting in deer resistant material after the client and I specify it must be deer resistant. Three weeks later I call and say it is time to buck up. They are actually 1 step below the landscaper on the evolution chart.

Dreams To Designs
09-10-2009, 09:58 AM
Most likely they won't die from winter kill as they are hardy to zone 5, but very likely they will destroy the raised planter beds over time with a very strong, and extensive root system. The idea is interesting, two columnar trees, likely flanking the front door and will probably last 10-15 years. They would be better off in the ground or a very larke rasied planter as they can reach a height of 40', and without a strong root system can topple over, maybe into the home.

Kirk

maxwilbryan
09-10-2009, 10:03 AM
Posted via Mobile Device

maxwilbryan
09-10-2009, 11:51 AM
Posted via Mobile Device

I will send some pix when I get to pc.
Posted via Mobile Device