PDA

View Full Version : Blades for Lazer Z A/S...

djflats
09-09-2009, 07:53 PM
Anyone on here with a Next Lazer Z A/S use different blades than the ones that came on it? I have the A/S 60" w/ a 25 HP Kohler and would like to know what other blades are used on it. I don't cut for a "living", just here at home. I don't bag either if that makes a difference. I'm use to the blades that were on my TANK M48, they seemed heavier. The "stock" blades on the Lazer Z A/S seem to be light, easier to beat up. Here at the house I really don't cut anything rough, rocks etc...lots of molehills though. I do flatten them out 1st most of the time. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

tacoma200
09-09-2009, 08:36 PM
I like the factory notched high lifts that come one them. I tried a few other blades including gator type but always went back to the notched high lifts for the best cut. The only time I bend a blade was wen I hit a cast iron water meter that was is some tall grass. There is nothing wrong with the Exmark blades and they will last a long time. I wouldn't let the fact that they seem lighter bother me.

djflats
09-09-2009, 08:51 PM
Thanks Tacoma...I'll stick with them. It seems like the edges get a little rounded quicker but I guess that's normal. May be the molehills???:laugh:

tacoma200
09-09-2009, 10:32 PM
Thanks Tacoma...I'll stick with them. It seems like the edges get a little rounded quicker but I guess that's normal. May be the molehills???:laugh:

When sharpening just take care not to round the tip since that is the area that does most of the cutting. Those Ultracuts have so much lift (and tip speed)they will cut grass even with a less than perfect edge most of the time. Good luck.

djflats
09-09-2009, 10:36 PM
When sharpening just take care not to round the tip since that is the area that does most of the cutting. Those Ultracuts have so much lift (and tip speed)they will cut grass even with a less than perfect edge most of the time. Good luck.

Will do...thanks.
When I took the blades off the tips just looked a little rounded. I can't really expect them to have the squared tip on the end or edge, it's probably just the wear. I just got the mower maybe 2 months ago. This is the 1st time I had the blades off and really looked at them.

bohiaa
09-09-2009, 10:40 PM
www.texasmowerparts.com

djflats
09-09-2009, 10:49 PM
www.texasmowerparts.com

Thanks, that's a good site. The blades look more like the low-lift blades that are on that site. Maybe I should give the high lifts a try?

tacoma200
09-09-2009, 10:50 PM
Will do...thanks.
When I took the blades off the tips just looked a little rounded. I can't really expect them to have the squared tip on the end or edge, it's probably just the wear. I just got the mower maybe 2 months ago. This is the 1st time I had the blades off and really looked at them.

Yes that's normal, they are going to round a little bit. I have used blades for a long time, sometimes dull because I was too busy to change them and the Ultracut rarely misses any grass. I use and angle grinder and am just careful not to take too much off the tips, I never have a problem. I hit rock and other debris mowing commercial so what your doing is much lighter work. You won't have any problem. You can always have them professionally sharpened if you are not comfortable doing it. They get $3 a blade here. You can get after market blades for $9 -$13 though that will do a good job but that set should last you a long time.

djflats
09-09-2009, 10:56 PM
Yes that's normal, they are going to round a little bit. I have used blades for a long time, sometimes dull because I was too busy to change them and the Ultracut rarely misses any grass. I use and angle grinder and am just careful not to take too much off the tips, I never have a problem. I hit rock and other debris mowing commercial so what your doing is much lighter work. You won't have any problem. You can always have them professionally sharpened if you are not comfortable doing it. They get $3 a blade here. You can get after market blades for $9 -$13 though that will do a good job but that set should last you a long time.

This may sound stupid but I touched them up with a Dremel tool. It did a pretty good job. I was thinking about getting an angle grinder though, any suggestions?

tacoma200
09-09-2009, 11:07 PM
This may sound stupid but I touched them up with a Dremel tool. It did a pretty good job. I was thinking about getting an angle grinder though, any suggestions?

I use a Makita or Dewalt angle grinder with a fairly coarse wheel but many guys get the wheels with the sandpaper flaps which are a bit gentler. In fact some guys have stopped using expensive bench sharpeners and opted for the angle grinder. I use the coarse blade to take metal off fast and reduce heat but that's just me. Most people seem to like the flap type wheel. No one will probably agree on this but any angle grinder, even a no name from China will do the job. I couldn't imagine using a dremel but if it works for you, I take off more steel than that due to rocks and things on commercial jobs and generally uneven terrain is hard on blades. A bastard file with a handle works just fine also (But I may sharpen a dozen or more at a time).

djflats
09-09-2009, 11:13 PM
I use a Makita or Dewalt angle grinder with a fairly coarse wheel but many guys get the wheels with the sandpaper flaps which are a bit gentler. In fact some guys have stopped using expensive bench sharpeners and opted for the angle grinder. I use the coarse blade to take metal off fast and reduce heat but that's just me. Most people seem to like the flap type wheel. No one will probably agree on this but any angle grinder, even a no name from China will do the job. I couldn't imagine using a dremel but if it works for you, I take off more steel than that due to rocks and things on commercial jobs and generally uneven terrain is hard on blades. A bastard file with a handle works just fine also (But I may sharpen a dozen or more at a time).

The blades weren't in bad shape, a nick here and there and a little dull. I just touched them up.
You talking something like this?
http://images.lowes.com/product/converted/028877/028877523859md.jpg

tacoma200
09-09-2009, 11:52 PM
The blades weren't in bad shape, a nick here and there and a little dull. I just touched them up.
You talking something like this?
http://images.lowes.com/product/converted/028877/028877523859md.jpg

Yes that's it. Like I said many use the sand paper flapper type wheels. Here are some examples, best I could do on short notice.

djflats
09-10-2009, 09:10 PM
I ended up getting this one today. 4 1/2" and 6 amp. I'll have to look for some of the sand paper flapper wheels.
http://images.lowes.com/product/converted/717709/717709011892md.jpg

Travis E
09-10-2009, 11:59 PM
I ended up getting this one today. 4 1/2" and 6 amp. I'll have to look for some of the sand paper flapper wheels.
http://images.lowes.com/product/converted/717709/717709011892md.jpg

I use this one, i like to keep newer grinding wheels on it, I just think it does a better job. Like when the edges of the grinding wheel really start rounding over is when i change them out.

djflats
09-11-2009, 12:32 AM
I have a set of blades I used on my TANK when I had it...I'll practice some on them.

djflats
09-11-2009, 06:06 PM
I just tried the grinder out on some old blades I had for my TANK. The discs that came with the grinder worked fine. That's the 1st time I used an angle grinder to sharpen blades...good idea guys. I used a balancer and the blades looked good. 1st time for everything I guess. It is a quick and convenient way of sharpening.

tacoma200
09-11-2009, 06:35 PM
I just tried the grinder out on some old blades I had for my TANK. The discs that came with the grinder worked fine. That's the 1st time I used an angle grinder to sharpen blades...good idea guys. I used a balancer and the blades looked good. 1st time for everything I guess. It is a quick and convenient way of sharpening.

Good deal, the angle grinder will pay for it's self in short order..:waving: