PDA

View Full Version : ZTR Question

greenfrog
09-09-2009, 09:13 PM
My ZTR mower is tearing up the turf as I turn 180 degrees. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can prevent this? Do I need to get treadless tires? Thanks.

mowerbrad
09-09-2009, 10:11 PM
Treadless tire? What you need to do is do a 3 point turn. Always keep both wheels moving, that is the key point.

MS_SURVEYOR
09-09-2009, 11:47 PM
I've had the same problem when I first got my ztr. I got a Bad Boy Pup. I did some research here and found everything pointing to the tires. That just didn't sit right with me. I got to looking at the tires and they just didn't seem to be all the aggressive. I then started watching my wife operate the mower. She didn't have any problems tearing turf while turning. But she didn't do a 180 turn. I then didn't some research here on a 3 point turn.

http://www.lawnsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=152578&stc=1&d=1245649993

That helped. So what I have found out is if you put your right foot down on grass turf and spin on it without lifting it up you'll tear the turf. Same thing with a heavy ztr turning on turf. It's going to tear a plug. I have found that if you come to the end of the row to take a slight left or right turn. Come to a stop and ease both lever backward turning the front caster around, in the same motion turn as you're backing up and line up with the next uncut row, then come to a easy stop, then ease forward in to the row to mow, you'll not damage the turf. Sounds like a lot to do. But it's not. Turning like that doesn't take very much room or time. Just take a little practice

greenfrog
09-10-2009, 11:12 AM
Thanks for the info. I did not know this. Still in learning mode I guess.

brucec32
09-10-2009, 07:20 PM
Unless the lawn is asphalt, I'd avoid slicks. ": )

skeet
09-10-2009, 07:25 PM
perform a figure 8 when turning