PDA

View Full Version : Help me Learn

OrangeToys
09-09-2009, 09:14 PM
:waving:Im wanting to learn to build a pond, waterfalls, water gardens...Where should go to find info, or what can you all help me with?

STL Ponds and Waterfalls
09-09-2009, 09:35 PM
I'm not sure where Nixa is, but we have 2 Aquascape distributors here in the St. louis area. Call MPR supply in Maryland Heights and Gateway Watergarden in Fenton, Mo to see when they are hosting a build a pond day. It's hands on course to get people started in the business. If you have anymore questions let me know.

OrangeToys
09-09-2009, 10:46 PM
I'm not sure where Nixa is, but we have 2 Aquascape distributors here in the St. louis area. Call MPR supply in Maryland Heights and Gateway Watergarden in Fenton, Mo to see when they are hosting a build a pond day. It's hands on course to get people started in the business. If you have anymore questions let me know.

Im a mile south of springfield

STL Ponds and Waterfalls
09-10-2009, 05:05 PM
Im a mile south of springfield

OK, I'm not sure what's down in the springfield area for pond distributors. If you do come up here let me know and you can buy a scag walkbehind I have for sale.:) lol!

OrangeToys
09-10-2009, 10:06 PM
OK, I'm not sure what's down in the springfield area for pond distributors. If you do come up here let me know and you can buy a scag walkbehind I have for sale.:) lol!

Well thats not good that you're selling a scag. Would like a smaller walkbehind (32-42in).

STL Ponds and Waterfalls
09-12-2009, 10:58 AM
Well thats not good that you're selling a scag. Would like a smaller walkbehind (32-42in).

Thanks, but I need a bigger mower. I like my Scag it's just that they pulled the dealership from my local retailer and that makes service a pain.

alf500series
10-10-2009, 12:06 PM
I'm from branson and if you do find a place let me know and ill go with. or vise versa

XStream Aquatics
10-24-2009, 04:22 PM
SURE go to www.ippca.com

JimLewis
11-27-2009, 04:48 AM
Well, one of the best places to learn (for free, or minimal cost usually) is the distributors that sell pond materials. In your area there is a Ewing Irrigation in Springfield just off Hwy 13.

About 4 miles away is a John Deere Landscapes. They would be great too.

I don't know what other distributors are in your area. But that's where I'd start. Those two supply houses will have occasional how-to classes on all sorts of subjects from irrigation trouble-shooting, outdoor lighting, water feature installation, and more. A lot of the supply houses in our area give free classes. But sometimes some of them charge a small fee. Like Ewing charges a little bit for some of their longer classes - but they are worth it.

There's also the Mossouri Turfgrass and Ornamental Council's Expo coming up in about a week. Looks like something I'd be going to if I was in that area. Our local expo is this coming week. I always go to that one. It's a great way to learn all about all sorts of stuff related to our industry. At any given hour there are like 5 different classes you can take. This year, it doesn't look like there are any related to pond construction. But lots of other good classes for those in the landscape business. I'd be attending this;

http://www.motoc.org/
http://www.motoc.org/pdf/gi_conf09.pdf

Sounds like there was another Expo in your area that might be worth keeping an eye on too;
http://concreteproducts.com/mag/landscape-expo-20090601/

Aside from that, there are always great national expos. The GIE+ expo I think is the largest of the year. You'd triple your landscape knowledge in just a few days probably if you ever went to one of those. And the networking you'd get would be great. It's always great to make connections with landscapers in other states.

Then of course there's lawnsite. And finally, good old trial and error. Gather up as much info. as you can and then just start doing them! Experience is the biggest teacher.

Bleed Green
12-10-2009, 09:42 PM
Hey STL do you stay pretty busy doing ponds or do you do other landscape stuff too?

STL Ponds and Waterfalls
12-11-2009, 01:25 AM
Hey STL do you stay pretty busy doing ponds or do you do other landscape stuff too?

We do it all from waterfalls to property maintenance. As for staying busy it's hard to say for me this year. Last year I hardly had any water feature builds and I mostly had wall and paver work. This year I haven't touched a paver or wall block since February:confused: it's been 90% waterfalls. I love building it all, but water features are my favorite.

Bleed Green
12-11-2009, 01:36 AM
We do it all from waterfalls to property maintenance. As for staying busy it's hard to say for me this year. Last year I hardly had any water feature builds and I mostly had wall and paver work. This year I haven't touched a paver or wall block since February:confused: it's been 90% waterfalls. I love building it all, but water features are my favorite.

That is the area I would like to get into. I am graduating college in the spring and would love to get a job in landscaping, it has always been a passion I have had and enjoyed. I have built a pond in my own backyard and my neighbors and also put a few brick paver walks in as well.
My degree is in journalism but I am not so sure that is what I want to do after I graduate. I wish I would have gone a different route now. I guess like they say though many people don't go into the field where they get their degree, and also what I have been told in the past year is that I should go into something I enjoy because that is the biggest part of it, being happy and liking what you are doing everyday.
Your work sounds really cool. Sounds interesting and also sounds like you stay pretty busy. Good luck in the future.

STL Ponds and Waterfalls
12-11-2009, 11:53 AM
I wish I was more busy than you think. Youy best bet is to work for a landscape company to gain field experience and see how the business is ran etc. Before you jump into your own business get the knowledge from someone who has gone through the growing pains. Than when your older and broken down from all the hard labor you can fall back on your journalism degree.:)

Pittsburgh Stone83
01-14-2010, 09:19 PM
:waving:Im wanting to learn to build a pond, waterfalls, water gardens...Where should go to find info, or what can you all help me with?

Out of all the services my company does water features are my favorite. But hands on experience will teach you the most. As far as the basic fundamentals (which is the most important part) you can go to my web site www.pghsw.com, click under services, and go to waterscapes and I have pictures, diagrams, and an overview of all the necessary components.I agree with the other contractor about some of the Aquascape seminars. They are great for beginners, but beware. Aquascapes politics are a joke.If you don't financially fund the "Aquascape machine" they could care less about you. Trust me I installed their product for 10 years. And there seminars are not cheap. I highly recommend reviewing the basics and learning about biological filtration, and ecosystems. Let me know if there I can help with anything in the future. Oh, utilize this forum and pick the brains of the "experienced" contractors. Visit their web sites to see their work and learn about their company. Never take advice from people who don't know what the hell they're talking about. They will make you hate water features reeeeeal fast!

Bleed Green
01-14-2010, 09:23 PM
I wish I was more busy than you think. Youy best bet is to work for a landscape company to gain field experience and see how the business is ran etc. Before you jump into your own business get the knowledge from someone who has gone through the growing pains. Than when your older and broken down from all the hard labor you can fall back on your journalism degree.:)

sounds like a plan to me haha. i like the way you think.