PDA

View Full Version : Crab Grass prevention and thin lawns?

gumby1
04-29-2002, 09:56 PM
I am working on a few lawns in the area and they are not real thick. Along edges of driveway and areas in the lawn get taken over by crab grass. Will a pre-emergent crab grass preventer cause the established grass not to thicken?

Runner
04-30-2002, 01:53 AM
It will cause the seeds (from last year) not to germinate, but it won't cause the grass itself not to thicken with root expansion. What kind of fert are you using? You COULD fill those lawns right out with the right stuff, if you really wanted to. Make them so thick that they are hard to cut. That's how my turfs are getting. We don't get a whole lot of top growth, since I've been going real easy on the N, but man, there sure is alot of grass coming out of that chute. UnbeLIEVably thick.

gumby1
04-30-2002, 10:48 PM
Is cutting back on the nitrogin what thickend your lawns. I do not think that will work for me. Please tell me your secret!

MATTHEW
05-03-2002, 09:42 PM
It is May 3rd and you are in Wisconsin. There is no crabgrass taking over anything. You need to get a book on grass types to identify exactly what you are seeing. Probably tall fescue or quackgrass. Crabgrass germinates later in the early summer and appears as lime green-colored grass mixing in with the darker grasses. Then it thickens and spreads out, up to 12" asross and produces millions of seeds. Then, after a killing frost, it dies, leaving behind "skeletons" which usually decompose by mid April of the following year.

osc
05-04-2002, 08:08 PM
It must have been an awfully warm winter in Wisconsin eh?