PDA

View Full Version : Wet roads today, pulling a fully loaded 20' trailer, close call, & need advice!

greeneyes
09-09-2009, 10:15 PM
A light drizzle lasting 1/2 hr or so before heading to the next lawn, and every time I touched the brakes I started to slide. I'm not sure if the trailer brakes and/or the truck brakes were both locking up or not? All of the tires are in excellent to good condition.
First stop sign I came to, I almost didn't stop. 25 mph speed limit down the main street went fine at 5 stop signs. Turned left over a bridge over RR tracks, down a steep hill to turn left, right after the bridge, touched the brakes 3 times, tried to turn (not happening). Oh well, we'll hit those lawns Friday. Kept going down, the stop sign at the bottom is maybe 50 yds away and a tractor trailer starts making a right hand turn to climb up this hill towards me. *@!!@@ I have a choice, keep going down with no clue where I may end up or hug the curb, and there's a telephone pole snug to the curb. Lucky, the curb slowed me down and I never touched the pole. The driver of the TT waved thanks. Right behind him, another LCO was making the turn and we met face to face. I said, It's getting slippery, and he said, Was that you I heard? I said yeah, and then he proceeded to spin his wheels up the hill I just came down. The day ended safely again, but it seems there are certain roads that are impossibly dangerous. This isn't the first time I've had this problem on the same roads. I need advice. Thanks.

tilawn
09-09-2009, 10:20 PM
first make sure your trailer brakes are adjusted and working properly, Next has it been a while since it has rained in your area? If it has been a while then the oil in the asphalt will make it VERY slick especially with just a drizzle coming down

Junior M
09-09-2009, 10:21 PM
sounds like your trailer brakes are set to heavy, they shouldnt lock up unless you hit that emergency button on the top or front that most have..

bohiaa
09-09-2009, 10:39 PM
lol. they shouldn't lock up at all....

greeneyes
09-09-2009, 10:50 PM
The trailer had new brakes installed in June, inspected and new tires. I could use some advice on the trailer brake adjustment. Should I be adjusting them often? Should I put the truck in LOW?? as I cross the bridge? in a light rain?

We've had so much rain this summer, that there hasn't even been a normal weekly mowing schedule. But, it seems the light rain on certain roads gets really slick. Should I bring it up to the streets department in this certain borough. ??

The truck I use 99% of the time is a 98 Dodge Ram. I bought a new Ford Deisel a few years ago that I think I may start using on days like today. I originally bought it for the business, but have only used it as a back up.

greeneyes
09-09-2009, 11:00 PM
^LOL, why? I was on a steep incline fully loaded, and it wasn't funny. I came here for help and advice, not a wise a$$ crappy response.

AmGreen
09-09-2009, 11:07 PM
does your trailer brake controller not have an adjustment knob on the side of it?
Posted via Mobile Device

STIHL GUY
09-09-2009, 11:11 PM
The trailer had new brakes installed in June, inspected and new tires. I could use some advice on the trailer brake adjustment. Should I be adjusting them often? Should I put the truck in LOW?? as I cross the bridge? in a light rain?

We've had so much rain this summer, that there hasn't even been a normal weekly mowing schedule. But, it seems the light rain on certain roads gets really slick. Should I bring it up to the streets department in this certain borough. ??

The truck I use 99% of the time is a 98 Dodge Ram. I bought a new Ford Deisel a few years ago that I think I may start using on days like today. I originally bought it for the business, but have only used it as a back up.

Why is the diesel a backup and no full time??

greeneyes
09-09-2009, 11:21 PM
Yes the trailer brake has a dial on it. I'm really not an idiot, I guess I'm just not sure where the right setting is. I'm just really frustrated. The only time I have a problem is on these particular roads, in these certain conditions. Should I be adjusting the trailer brakes when it rains like this? During good weather, I'm not having any problems, everything was cool till it started to rain today.

Kennedy Landscaping
09-09-2009, 11:34 PM
Thats really wierd, I never have stopping problems in the rain. Not sure what to tell you, hope someone figures it out for you though. Good luck

02DURAMAX
09-10-2009, 01:17 AM
I think your brakes are set to low! your trailer should almost stop you!

AmGreen
09-10-2009, 01:25 AM
yeah, it sounds like your surge breaks are over reacting to you riding the break going down the hill. so when you've pressed the peddle for an extended period of time, they lock up b/c of the continuous signal - merely a guess.
Posted via Mobile Device

AmGreen
09-10-2009, 01:27 AM
brakes not breaks
Posted via Mobile Device

WGLandscapeMaintenance
09-10-2009, 01:29 AM
Once again as the other guy said, Why is your junk gasser primary and not the powerstroke?

topsites
09-10-2009, 02:02 AM
This is the reason why you want the EXPENSIVE self-adjusting fully automatic brake controller,
last I checked they were like 6-700 but it's probably gone up in price.

Richard Martin
09-10-2009, 04:11 AM
What kind of tires did you have put on your trailer? A lot of people go cheap on trailer tires and cheap tires don't usually do well in the wet. I put Goodyear Marathon radials on mine last year.

Toy2
09-10-2009, 09:04 AM
first make sure your trailer brakes are adjusted and working properly, Next has it been a while since it has rained in your area? If it has been a while then the oil in the asphalt will make it VERY slick especially with just a drizzle coming downBoom goes the dynamite........if its a first shower, roads are always slick, get a good rain and try the brakes again........no stress.....

Popslawncare
09-10-2009, 12:35 PM
the way I adjust my trailer brake's is go to a empty place and step on the brake and slide the adjustment lever on the controler, just before the trailer locks thats about where you want to keep them. Obviously if its heavier load just re adjust and the same on the lighter load. hope this helps!

datkinsonsr
09-10-2009, 01:10 PM
:eek:As was said, a light rain is just enough to float the oils to the surface but not wash them away. I watched a pickup with a trailor in front of me do a slow motion 360 turn while trying to come to a stop at a trafic light. We have these conditions alot down here. Just have to plan for it.

Doug

Junior M
09-10-2009, 01:39 PM

Trucks shouldnt. If set right, you can lock up the brakes on a trailer. I've messed with my settings before with my brothers little utility trailer and I stopped the trailer with both the truck brakes and hitting the button on the controller and it actually locked up and bounced the trailer. I was only doing like 5 or 10mile an hour, but still..

Thirsty
09-10-2009, 03:00 PM
I think your trailer brakes may not be working at all and the trailer is pushing you, especially on slippery surfaces.

IamTheEcho
09-10-2009, 11:23 PM
the way I adjust my trailer brake's is go to a empty place and step on the brake and slide the adjustment lever on the controler, just before the trailer locks thats about where you want to keep them. Obviously if its heavier load just re adjust and the same on the lighter load. hope this helps!

This is the proper way to adjust your brakes. Remember tho on wet roads they will lock easier...... However I can't believe your trailer brakes are locking up on that trailer due to the wight of your load... Unless you are calling fully loaded one mower and some rakes.

unkownfl
09-10-2009, 11:35 PM

DOT says other wise.

unkownfl
09-10-2009, 11:39 PM
Adjust your controller to were if you hold the button all the way down from a stand still the trailer tires skid if the truck starts to move. If DOT stops you and give you the run down he will ask you to do this without adjusting it prior.

If your are only locking the front truck tires up you may have to much tongue weight or over weighed all together assuming everything is within adjustment.