PDA

View Full Version : Stihl 011AV Clutch

CT18fireman
09-09-2009, 11:30 PM
Is there any measurement to the clutch or does it just get replaced when slipping.

My problem is on a 20+ year old saw. Has always served us well. Recently when cutting through the heart of 12" log the chain will stop though the RPMs barely change. In free WOT it will spin fine and with the saw off I can move the chain by hand fine. Oiler is working. Chain is sharp. I am thinking it is the clutch.

I was able to get the old one off, the clutch and the sproket/flywheel. Should I replace the whole assembly? Both show some wear and heating.

Thanks

sanchezmechanic
09-10-2009, 11:07 AM
before buy something I will take it to sthil dealer or any two cycle mechanic and azk for crankcase pressure test or leakdown test, you will save money and headache.

CT18fireman
09-10-2009, 02:24 PM
I spent years working at a small equipment shop, now do 98% of my own maintenance as well as for others. Have all the tools etc. Saw is running fine and has good compression etc. CLUTCH is SLIPPING when saw is into h eeavy cutting. I don't know much about the clutch in terms of a possible gap measurement for wear etc. Can't ever remember replacing a saw clutch but most people would go through saws every few years.

This one still runs perfect so I don't mind spending $30-40 for a clutch. I was just looking to see if it was out of spec and if it is recommended to replace all the parts.

Thanks and Welcome.